The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows not suspended for hit on Gaustad :Team 1040

cuporbust

.........except for the fact that neither of the referees on ice made the call. It was done well after the fact, and by one of the linesmen.

It was interference missed by the refs. THe only a linesman can make a call like that is if it is a major penalty. They are not allowed to call minor penalties. Because of the delay and the refs missing it, I believe the refs felt to call anything they had to make it a major.

It was a bad call to make and the linesman (Mr. Puck thief Miller) wrongly influenced the refs into making it.

As bad as the reffing was, the press's pursuing of suspensions against Burr and BIeksa absolutely disgusts me. I feel frustrated that I have so few options to express my disdain for their continuing bias and character assassinations of our tem. It is some of the worst sports journalism I have ever seen and is contributing to ruining the integrity and fairness of the game.

With the NHL selling out all control of Televised games to Sportsnet, they now have huge influence over the on-ice p[product and are showing us exactly how they intend to use that promote their favorite teams at the expense of those they dislike.

guy turns into burr as burr braces for impact and then it's a shoulder to shoulder hit, and guy collapses like a tonne of bricks (embellishment mayhaps?), i'd be pissed if there was a suspension for that (but not surprised). I am very happy (and surprised) to hear there's no suspension.

It was a marginal interference call at worst, should have been 2 minutes and that's it. Gaustad must have faked it really, didn't look like he came anywhere near his head...

Bloody Button saying he would be getting suspended for sure...what a dork.

Yes, Burrows skated towards his man. That's also know as playing hockey. That does not make him responsible for accidental contact. And if he's not suspended (I'd still feel better getting another independent source to validate that...) it's likely because the NHL agrees.

I do agree with you though that the major and game on Burr were pandering to the home crowd. It didn't even look like they were going to call a minor at first but then let the optics of it and the crowd convince them that more was needed.

I don't agree about Bieksa, though. Diving or not, if he did skate up to the guy and say something rude while he was laying on the ice I'm actually okay with him being tossed. Sometimes guys get hurt on the most innocent looking plays so you just never know. It's best to avoid trash talking someone who might actually be hurt, even if its just a slim possibility.

Is it confirmed that Bieksa trash-talked him?

Maybe he said something like, "HEY! I HOPE YOU ARE ALRIGHT! FRIEND!" Hehe.

There is no "tit for tat" in this. It's like saying "calm down about road racer who crashed into a bus stop because John Furlong was let off on charges". Can't connect those dots as the severity/circumstances don't line up.

Toffoli plowed him into the boards from behind. Burr bumped Gaustouch mid ice. One does not disqualify the other.

#youmissthepointinitall

#jokesflyingoverheads

This is a non issue. Burrows wasn't suspended because the hit was not suspendable. Even if Gaustad was truly injured, it would have been a freak injury given the the collision. It seemed like embellishment to me, but that's just like my opinion...man.

LOL:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/th2n-canucks-burrows-will-be-suspended-1.245195

If I'm McKenzie, I'm kind pissed. Headline is "McKenzie: Suspensions coming for Byfuglien and Burrows."

McKenzie's actual take: "I just think its a guy being too cute...I didn't think when I saw it that it was necessarily a suspendable act".

Ya I noticed the same thing, big misinterpretation there if you don't click the link and listen to the interview that was provided. In no way did McKenzie say Burrows would get suspended.

Is it confirmed that Bieksa trash-talked him?

Maybe he said something like, "HEY! I HOPE YOU ARE ALRIGHT! FRIEND!" Hehe.

LOL

I hope he did say something like that, though I doubt it. But good point about it not being confirmed. I really would like to know why he was tossed and what (if anything) he said.

I certainly agree that the 5 minute major was a bad call, that no suspension was warranted, and that Gaustad probably embellished.

But I still think it was a bad play by Burrows. It was interference. Admittedly, usually the players make contact, no call is made and no harm is done. But Burrows gave Gaustad the opportunity to dive. He really should avoid contact in that situation. He did more than just "brace for the hit". Burrows did actually initiate the hit, which looked like it would be shoulder to shoulder until Gaustad ducked his head down.

I am not defending the referees (who were bad in this game, obviously) but I am saying that Burrows needs to play smarter hockey. He is a good enough player that he does not need to be an agitator. And the Canucks cannot afford to lose any more forwards right now as there only healthy backup is McMillan.

I just don't see it that way. I don't see Burrows doing anything to initiate the contact. Nothing. Simply skating towards a guy in order to cover him is not the same as initiating a hit. It's just playing hockey.

burrgaustad.gif

[Original video]

While Burrows certainly readies himself for impending contact, that is not illegal nor is it the same as initiating contact.

Look at the first still, which shows each players' original trajectory and the path of Burrows' pursuit:

burrgaustadpursuit.gif

Had they both continued on their forward trajectory there likely would have not been any contact. If Burrows initiated the contact it would have happened whether or not Gaustad turned and would have simply been made worse by the sudden change in his body position. That is just not supported by the video which clearly shows Gauastad turning and actually skating towards Burrows. And not a small amount either. He's at first facing away from Burrows and skating up the ice and then turns towards Burrows and starts skating across the ice. Had Gaustad not significantly altered his path immediately before the contact no contact would have occurred. That means it was accidental contact, not a deliberate hit.

I'm obviously happy he still in the lineup, but just like the guys on 1040, I'm shocked. They said even Alex Burrows is probably shocked he didn't get suspended today

You could tell in his post game interview that he was anticipating some course of action too.

I just don't see it that way. I don't see Burrows doing anything to initiate the contact. Nothing. Simply skating towards a guy in order to cover him is not the same as initiating a hit. It's just playing hockey.

burrgaustad.gif

[Original video]

While Burrows certainly readies himself for impending contact, that is not illegal nor is it the same as initiating contact.

Look at the first still, which shows each players' original trajectory and the path of Burrows' pursuit:

burrgaustadpursuit.gif

Had they both continued on their forward trajectory there likely would have not been any contact. If Burrows initiated the contact it would have happened whether or not Gaustad turned and would have simply been made worse by the sudden change in his body position. That is just not supported by the video which clearly shows Gauastad turning and actually skating towards Burrows. And not a small amount either. He's at first facing away from Burrows and skating up the ice and then turns towards Burrows and starts skating across the ice. Had Gaustad not significantly altered his path immediately before the contact no contact would have occurred. That means it was accidental contact, not a deliberate hit.

I think the main factor in him not being suspended is that he doesn't drop the shoulder for a hit, rather he opens up his chest to Gaustad as he's turning to set a pick in a sense.

I think the main factor in him not being suspended is that he doesn't drop the shoulder for a hit, rather he opens up his chest to Gaustad as he's turning to set a pick in a sense.

Sure, if you can pick someone who skates into your lane...

Either way, just glad the NHL made the right call and didn't suspend him!

It's the second part of the hit that is problematic, where he drives Vrbata's face into the dasher that should have resulted in a penalty.

I certainly didn't expect any discipline as a result of that hit - but what I clearly posted is that it is more suspendable than the Burrows hit - from behind - to the head - and a missed call at the time.

They slowed that hit down on the live broadcast - he clearly drives his face into the dasher with the second hit to the back of the head - the first push is really nothing - the second hit is a cross check to the back of the head.

No doubt that it could have been called but my first impression was that it fell into the borderline area and caught Vrbata in an unfortunate position. It seemed more of a tap to the back of the head than a "drive" to me. Hard to judge on the fly, I suspect if the ref saw Vrbata's head pushed into the boards, it would have been a minor penalty. Stupid thing to do that could have resulted in a 2 minute minor but not worse than the Burrows and Bieksa plays, imo.

#jokesflyingoverheads

Was it a joke or sarcasm based on the fact that people here are vocal about their dissatisfaction with a broken system? You've spent at lest 20 posts in a previous thread arguing:

Usual CDC suspects screaming conspiracy again.

so I don't think it was a joke at all....I think it was meant to poke at that. Your attempt to put the shoe on the other foot for us in a "told you so manner", except it doesn't work because this is but one of a million or so calls that's gone in our favour been correct. Unlike teams that rarely draw the short straw. Nice cover up though.

You can't pull a Ron McLean and join the party now with (lame) jokes. Your job is to call out those of us who don't agree with the officiating, remember? They got one right but it's nothing heroic or monumental at this point...it's a baby step. ;)

Anyhow, I'm here for a good time, not a long time. So have a good day.

Craig Button: "This is a suspension, there is no question in my mind....Complete interference and Burrows is a repeat offender."

I guess your incompetence is not limited to drafting.

I'm surprised a 6 year-old hasn't replaced him yet, would save them a lot of money long term.

Archived