The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows not suspended for hit on Gaustad :Team 1040

cuporbust

vOzM8P.gif

Sucks for Vrbata, but doesn't come close to a perceived elbow to the head. Esp. when Vrbata wasn't affected. I guess the fact that Burrows and Gaustad were totally fine after the hits they sustained from Toffoli and Burrows had an affect on NHL disciplinary action or rather non-action. What the trolls fail to realize is that 5mins and a game is still pretty significant. If the Preds had capitalized, that's a huge win from a Gaustad dive.

No I wasn't comparing the hits.Just saying that now we can calm down about the Toffoli hit since Burr got let off on this one.

I'm a big Burr fan, but I thought there was some intention there. Doesn't help that Gaustad was turning and leaning a bit. Could of easily been a couple games imo.

Not exactly. Toffoli deliberately hit an ineligible player in an illegal way at a dangerous position on the ice. Burrows just accidentally collided with a player who turned into him while also lowering his head, initiating the contact and causing the head contact.

burrowsguastad.gif

You can clearly see that Gaustad turns into Burrows and significantly lowers his head. Burrows didn't do anything but prepare for impending contact once he realized it was coming, which is not against the rules. Had Gaustad not turned into Burrows they would have just continued skating side by side as Burrows was covering his man, nothing more.

Toffoli's hit on Burrows and Burr's collision with Gaustad were not even close to comparable, despite the fact that they ended up with the exact same punishment.

No I wasn't comparing the hits.Just saying that now we can calm down about the Toffoli hit since Burr got let off on this one.

I'm a big Burr fan, but I thought there was some intention there. Doesn't help that Gaustad was turning and leaning a bit. Could of easily been a couple games imo.

There is no "tit for tat" in this. It's like saying "calm down about road racer who crashed into a bus stop because John Furlong was let off on charges". Can't connect those dots as the severity/circumstances don't line up.

Toffoli plowed him into the boards from behind. Burr bumped Gaustouch mid ice. One does not disqualify the other.

Clearly Vancouver is just one of the league's darling teams who the league is helping get into the playoffs.

#gamemanagement #bettmansdarlings #conspiracy

#youmissthepointinitall

Not exactly. Toffoli deliberately hit an ineligible player in an illegal way at a dangerous position on the ice. Burrows just accidentally collided with a player who turned into him while also lowering his head, initiating the contact and causing the head contact.

burrowsguastad.gif

You can clearly see that Gaustad turns into Burrows and significantly lowers his head. Burrows didn't do anything but prepare for impending contact once he realized it was coming, which is not against the rules. Had Gaustad not turned into Burrows they would have just continued skating side by side as Burrows was covering his man, nothing more.

Toffoli's hit on Burrows and Burr's collision with Gaustad were not even close to comparable, despite the fact that they ended up with the exact same punishment.

A choppy microseconds gif isn't quite proof positive. The act in context illustrates Burrows heading towards Gaustad even though the Canucks had possession. Burrows can justify that as heading up the wing and the collision was incidental, however it was also avoidable. Gaustad turned into Burrows, but with microseconds in between that and the hit, can you fault Gaustad?

So the question is whether the contact was indeed a headshot. That isn't clear.

Since Gaustad returned and Nashville got a major power play and Bieksa was also tossed, you can call it even. More than even for Nashville. The NHL suspending Burrows would have been overkill.

There is no "tit for tat" in this. It's like saying "calm down about road racer who crashed into a bus stop because John Furlong was let off on charges". Can't connect those dots as the severity/circumstances don't line up.

Toffoli plowed him into the boards from behind. Burr bumped Gaustouch mid ice. One does not disqualify the other.

#youmissthepointinitall

Whatever. Burr could of avoided quite easily.

Also I doubt Gaustad was faking it. The guy has a concussion history.

Whatever. Burr could of avoided quite easily.

Also I doubt Gaustad was faking it. The guy has a concussion history.

Give me a break Gaustad trying to get a milk hot dog out of that "hit"

Even made time to cushion his fall by cupping his head before impact with the ice.

6/10 good effort on the dive but not believable.

Are you dense? The perceived elbow that Burrows delivered to Gaustad's head, of course. As well as Bieksa's elbow to Stalberg's. Do keep up.

I know you're trumpeting the Jones-Vrbata thing as suspendable. Not gonna happen.

I don't need to ask if you are dense.

There's no "elbow" to the head there captain tinfoil.

Imaginary would be a better qualifier than "perceived", and would be more consistent with your perception.

A choppy microseconds gif isn't quite proof positive. The act in context illustrates Burrows heading towards Gaustad even though the Canucks had possession. Burrows can justify that as heading up the wing and the collision was incidental, however it was also avoidable. Gaustad turned into Burrows, but with microseconds in between that and the hit, can you fault Gaustad?

So the question is whether the contact was indeed a headshot. That isn't clear.

Since Gaustad returned and Nashville got a major power play and Bieksa was also tossed, you can call it even. More than even for Nashville. The NHL suspending Burrows would have been overkill.

It's choppy on purpose, because I used only 2 stills to illustrate that it is in fact Gaustad that turns into Burrows to initiate the contact and lowers his head significantly as he's turning, causing the head contact. Burrows did nothing wrong simply skating towards Gaustad and had Gaustad not significantly altered his trajectory and body position immediately before the contact there would have not been contact because Burrows did nothing to initiate the contact. As you rightly said, there were mere "microseconds in between" Gaustad turning into Burrows and the contact, so how can you fault Burrows? That's the definition of an accidental collision.

I'm not sure what your point about it being avoidable was. Burrows didn't hit him, so Burrows was not responsible for avoiding contact he did not know was coming.

Also, I don't believe Gaustad did return to the game. Of course that shouldn't be relevant. Accidental contact resulting in an injury (or not...I believe there's supposed to be a report on him today) is not supposed to make someone magically responsible after the fact. Either Burrows was responsible or he wasn't.

I don't need to ask if you are dense.

There's no "elbow" to the head there captain tinfoil.

According to what proof? As of now it's inconclusive and we need a better angle. Besides, I said 'perceived' elbow, since obviously Burrows received a major infraction for a reason.

As for tinfoil, how about easing off on stating that an obviously non-suspendable act is suspendable.

Unfrackingbelievable that this was even being discussed as suspension worthy. The reaction from other team's fans that are calling for Burrows' head makes me question just how smart the average hockey fan is. Like holy crap how can people actually be this stupid. ???? incidental contact and people are acting like Burrows pulled a Deveaux. My god the hate is real... and pathetic.

Hey, I think that Button was the one trying to pull an April Fool's joke. How a player turning around and accidentally bumping into another is even thought to be a suspension, I will never know seeing as Toffoli wasn't.

Actually Burrows was suspended 3 games last October for a late hit (interference) that involved contact to the head.

Bob McKenzie actually clarified that a bit on a morning radio show today.

The fact that Burrows is a "repeat offender" is only germane if the league decides that the hit is suspendable. It comes into play when determining the subsequent level of supplementary discipline. (ie: how many games, etc.)

However, a previous suspension does not elevate what would normally be considered non-suspendable into a suspendable offence. Long story short, the Burrows suspension for hitting Emelin did not factor into this decision. It only would have done so had the league decided the hit suspendable on it's own "merits"....

Posted 23 minutes ago

oldnews, on 01 Apr 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:snapback.png

vOzM8P.gif

Sucks for Vrbata, but doesn't come close to a perceived elbow to the head. Esp. when Vrbata wasn't affected. I guess the fact that Burrows and Gaustad were totally fine after the hits they sustained from Toffoli and Burrows had an affect on NHL disciplinary action or rather non-action. What the trolls fail to realize is that 5mins and a game is still pretty significant. If the Preds had capitalized, that's a huge win from a Gaustad dive.

Thanks for posting this clip, I hadn't seen it yet. Not much to it really and not a cross check. Vrbata tries to sell it a bit but that's unfortunately a necessary part of today's game. Everyone does it to help get the call and thus help their teams chances of winning.

Unfrackingbelievable that this was even being discussed as suspension worthy. The reaction from other team's fans that are calling for Burrows' head makes me question just how smart the average hockey fan is. Like holy crap how can people actually be this stupid. ???? incidental contact and people are acting like Burrows pulled a Deveaux. My god the hate is real... and pathetic.

I am shocked we aren't talking more about the cross check to Vrbata. That was much much worse.

Archived