The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Happened to Tom Sestito?

Diamonds

Does anyone know what's happened to Tom Sestito?

I have to admit, after he got sent down to Utica I kind of forgot about him but recently I remembered that he was under Canucks contract and that he was down on the the farm. With the success Utica's been having I was starting to wonder if he had helped in their success and was trying to work his way back up to the Canucks.

However, after checking hockeyDB I noticed that he had only played 10 games with Utica (the same amount I remembered seeing when it was announced that he was scratched for a game more than a month ago) and I also noticed an asterisk beside his name. The asterisk states "no longer on active roster." Is this implying that he is a healthy scratch? Or has he been released by the team? Has he called it quits? Can anyone shed some light on what happened to Tom Sestito?

VANCOUVER - Tom Sestito's time with the Vancouver Canucks organization has come to an end.

The team announced Monday that Sestito will not play for the Canucks or the American Hockey League's Utica Comets for the remainder of the season.

"Sestito will workout on his own and will continue to receive his salary while the Canucks work to identify a new club where he can continue his career," the team said in a statement. "The Canucks and Comets thank Tom for his contributions and wish him luck in the future."

The statement did not give a reason for the move.

The Canucks placed Sestito on waivers in early January, shortly after the rugged forward said he wasn't getting a chance with the NHL club in an interview with the Vancouver Province.

He only appeared in three games with the Canucks this season, contributing one assist and seven penalty minutes.

The native of Rome, N.Y., had a goal and 20 penalty minutes with Utica after clearing waivers and has not played since Jan. 31.

Sestito has played in 137 NHL games with Columbus, Philadelphia and Vancouver, posting 10 goals, eight assists and 432 penalty minutes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=754753

Archived