The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An apology to Alex Edler

King Heffy

We're all glad he's rebounded.

To be fair, you had some reason to doubt him at times but people really needed to understand... It was all torts. Not edler.

Go Canucks Go!

as much as I loathe Torts, players have to be accountable for their play.

I'm gonna have to disagree.. Edler has played ok... but I watch Tanev play and I'm convinced that Tanev covers up for this guy so well that you can't even see just how many times Edler gives the puck away... you guys all mention twice last night? try 4 or 5 times.. even my 13 year old son who plays hockey and carefully watches the games can see it plain as day... watch Edler and Tanev in the next game and count how many times Tanev has to bail him out.. Yeah, Tanev can't shoot.. i get it.. this isn't a Tanev rip thread.. but check it out...

They both have their faults but tend to compliment each other quite well. Pretty amazing to think a third round draft pick and an undrafted free agent are now the top pairing on a playoff bound Canucks team.

I'm gonna have to disagree.. Edler has played ok... but I watch Tanev play and I'm convinced that Tanev covers up for this guy so well that you can't even see just how many times Edler gives the puck away... you guys all mention twice last night? try 4 or 5 times.. even my 13 year old son who plays hockey and carefully watches the games can see it plain as day... watch Edler and Tanev in the next game and count how many times Tanev has to bail him out.. Yeah, Tanev can't shoot.. i get it.. this isn't a Tanev rip thread.. but check it out...

I watch the D play pretty closely for the Canucks and whoever they're playing. Edler is a beast down low and with his gap control beside the wall....people may not see it but it is much harder for forwards to step around him because he is such a big strong guy and they have to respect that. I wouldn't argue against you saying that Tanev is a great all around defensive dman because he definitely is, and maybe he does bail out Edler from time to time, but Edler is definitely a leader on the back end, and a guy you want to have out on the ice in all situations.

I am glad to see others have realized that last year was an anomoly and that Torts and his "system" he tried to instill was the main reason for where they finished in the standings as well as why many players stats suffered.

Ironically though the Canucks are playing a very similar D system to Torts, and they are blocking a lot of shots too.

Last year the Canucks just suffered a lot of bad injuries that they haven't had too many of this year. Call ups did a real good job too.But yeah, as a cohesive unit, WD has the Canucks playing much more together than Torts did.

If anyone is skilled enough to to do this I say this should be Hef's punishment:

Put a void stamp over his old "Alex Turnover Edler" Siggy, and then he should have to rock that for a certain amount of time.

All in good fun though, and I can definitely respect a man who owns up.

Cheers Hef.

If anyone is skilled enough to to do this I say this should be Hef's punishment:

Put a void stamp over his old "Alex Turnover Edler" Siggy, and then he should have to rock that for a certain amount of time.

All in good fun though, and I can definitely respect a man who owns up.

Cheers Hef.

First Ronalds.Kenins41 and now Heffy…. both have come back into the fold.

Even TOML seems to have some reversed belief that this team isn't completely awful and needs to be dismantled for a run at Chychrun. Cup or Bust.

I wonder who is next?!?

Even TOML seems to have some reversed belief that this team isn't completely awful and needs to be dismantled for a run at Chychrun. Cup or Bust.

I wonder who is next?!?

Maybe to even things out, I'll start calling for "tanking" games 81 and 82 and trading Edler and the Sedins? :P

Maybe to even things out, I'll start calling for "tanking" games 81 and 82 and trading Edler and the Sedins? :P

You know there will be posters hoping we lose in 4 games in Rd 1 so that we can get a higher draft pick. Especially if we lose the first game or two. The chance to malign one of our players' whole career because of a bad shift or game and start calling for their head is exactly what they are readying to do.

Wait for it.

You know the $@*!winds will be blowing.

laheyz.jpg

I wonder who is next?!?

CanucksJay posted a mea culpa about AV a while back. He didn't start a new thread or anything, but he manned up.

We're all glad he's rebounded.

To be fair, you had some reason to doubt him at times but people really needed to understand... It was all torts. Not edler.

Go Canucks Go!

I'm sure Torts didn't help, but to say it was all him is a stretch. Edler does wear some of it.

I'm sure Torts didn't help, but to say it was all him is a stretch. Edler does wear some of it.

When the entire team bombs at the same time for about a 3 month stretch and they were fine before that and they are fine when he leaves, I would say he had a lot to do with it.

When the entire team bombs at the same time for about a 3 month stretch and they were fine before that and they are fine when he leaves, I would say he had a lot to do with it.

I'm certainly not saying coaching wasn't an issue but that some aspects of Edler's play were things he should have been more in control of, bad coach or not.

The best D-men have mental gaffes once in a while I think it should be fair to say. People usually don't notice their D until the other team scores. Who is the other D-man you like? I'm sure he too makes a couple mistakes a game.

Personally I thought Hammer was putting on a show for the last couple weeks. Last night he even upended somebody on the boards.

I agree totally, but this is an Alex Edler driven post. I never said i didn't like Edler, I like him just fine. But I do know how to call a spade a spade. I pointed out two glaring giveaways from the LA game ... unfortunately it's a common occurrence for Edler. The difference between Edler and most true top pairing D-man on top level teams is that their overall play can compensate for their mistakes. I will gladly take the giveaways, as long as there are at least as many punishing checks, some solid quarterbacking powerplay abilities, complete shut down abilities ... I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Alex Edler just hasn't been all of those things for a very long time. I miss it, you miss it .. we ALL miss it. I don't think that he will ever turn into a true #1 elite D-man that this team needs. He's a good D-man that I love to have on my team, but just because he happens to be our top D, doesn't mean he gets a free ride from the criticism. You just can't put Alex in with the likes of the Doughty's, Chara's, Webber's ( Shea ) of the game. It's not even fair to compare.

They both have their faults but tend to compliment each other quite well. Pretty amazing to think a third round draft pick and an undrafted free agent are now the top pairing on a playoff bound Canucks team.

I'm not sure if this is praise or criticism lol ;)

I'm certainly not saying coaching wasn't an issue but that some aspects of Edler's play were things he should have been more in control of, bad coach or not.

You could probably say that about the entire team last year. The team either gave up on playing for Tort's or they were not mentally strong enough to overcome the adversity. Either way, the leadership ship of the team should have righted the ship before it sunk.

Sure, he's "back" this year, and it's awesome to see.

That angry grease-ball of a coach we had last year was such a stubborn ass that he continued to make Edler play his off side (RD), night after night, and hanging him out to dry for feeling lost on the ice. Well no s#@t he's gonna have a crap year, let's make this guy change positions and expect him to be at his best. WTF.

Duh, my name is Fartarella,I like cheese, bingo and screaming. Duuurrrrr

Editted for really bad spelling

Lots of love for Edler in this thread, but I gotta agree with Edge.

IMO, Edler wasn't as bad as Heffy made him out to be last season but he hasn't transformed himself into the second coming of Niklas Lidstrom this season either.

Edler's been giving the Canucks some solid minutes every game but he's the reason for a disproportionate number of odd man rushes that come back into our zone. IMO, he's the de facto no.1 d-man on the Canucks because he's the best we've got. On most teams, he'd be a second pairing guy or the secondary guy on the first pairing.

If you expect Edler to become that you need to recalibrate your expectations.

Was really rooting for this guy to regain form after reading what TL had to say about him. Has had a huge bounce back year to be sure, but to me he's still not quite the same player physically as he was a few years ago. In a team lacking some hard hitters, that would be most welcome, especially now that (HELL YEAH) we're now playoff bound.

That all being said, still a real good player having a real good year.

Archived