The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

*Buzzsaw*

How to shut down Calgary's big line?  

275 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lots of analysts from TSN of course peg Calgary as the team to burn us in this series with that number one line.

Find a way to limit their speed and transition game and frustrate the young guys like Gaudreau and Monahan. Get them off their game and make them chase the puck rather than control it.

I like that most of the world wants to see the cinderella story and have Calgary take down Vancouver, makes me feel like its a closed bubble and its us against the world. Love that mentality and the chance to show everyone they are wrong to count us out.

Gaudreau, Monahan?? They are now stars in the NHL? People need to stop making young players into superstars that easily. Do not mention about them, ignore them, and put them in their place. These new guys should not be getting the attention as if they are established NHL stars or something.....They are just a no name brand if we don't mention them, let along discussing which players on our team should cover them......anyone on our team can cover them of course.

Too much fuss about Gaudreau IMO. All this talk about "Calgary's top line". Yeah big whoop. Our top line is even better. How are the Flames going to contain the Sedins? Then how will they contain the Vrbata line? Then the Horvat line?

Canucks are going to be coming in waves, every shift. They are a fast team? We have some fast players too, speed won't be a problem. I trust my veteran group over a one line calgary team who have yet to prove anything in the post season.

I still remember 2004 like it was yesterday, I believe I was grade 5 and watching Auld lay flat on his back as that puck went in was crushing. I later had a hissy fit and drew a picture of Iginla pooing into the Stanley cup- though I now realize that's more disrespectful to the cup than it is to Calgary. Oh well I was young.

Hard to say what will happen before a game is played in the playoffs. As we all know the pressure, the speed,spacing and physicality is on another level in the playoffs and we have guys who have been here many times which can't be said about their top line who have only thus far only proved their effectiveness in regular season games.

Gaudreau, Monahan?? They are now stars in the NHL? People need to stop making young players into superstars that easily. Do not mention about them, ignore them, and put them in their place. These new guys should not be getting the attention as if they are established NHL stars or something.....They are just a no name brand if we don't mention them, let along discussing which players on our team should cover them......anyone on our team can cover them of course.

Yeah, that's what I said about Toewes and Kane. I said the exact same thing. Who are these no namers that all of a sudden comes in with only a measly success at junior level, who have only put up 50, 60 points are people are praising them as stars...? Then came the beating at their hands in 6 games in 08-09 season. Calgary suffered the same fate as we did, only a round sooner.

Don't disrespect your opponent. No matter how little and insignificant they might seem, if they put all their will against you, they can beat you. A true winner would never underestimate his foe, and prepare to his best.

Guest Dasein

When ostriches get scared, they dig a hole in the ground and put their heads in there so that they can't see anything, but just because they can't see and acknowledge the threat, doesn't mean that it does not exist

Guest Dasein

Too much fuss about Gaudreau IMO. All this talk about "Calgary's top line". Yeah big whoop. Our top line is even better. How are the Flames going to contain the Sedins? Then how will they contain the Vrbata line? Then the Horvat line?

Canucks are going to be coming in waves, every shift. They are a fast team? We have some fast players too, speed won't be a problem. I trust my veteran group over a one line calgary team who have yet to prove anything in the post season.

You just described how Calgary plays as well. Our top line might not be better - head to head, their top line scored 30 more goals than the Sedin line. The Vrbata line is better than their 2nd line, but Horvat's been cold with 2 points in his last 11 games. Although they will respect him and defend against his line, Horvat will also have to respect the likes of Lance Bouma and Josh Jooris. Lastly, speed actually has been a problem when we've faced Calgary this season, so let's stop being ignorant and respect the opponent we face

While I obviously want the Canucks to win, I feel that the Flames really have something special going on. Just feels like that group really plays for one another, and with a lot of passion. Obviously that can only get you so far, and they have terrible possession numbers.

Like I said, I want to see Vancouver win, but wouldn't be surprised in the least if Calgary won. They have been defying the odds all year; and out of all the teams for them to face in the first round, Vancouver is the best match up for them.

Guest Dasein

Devils advocate here but should we lose as a result of their top line outperforming ours....ouch, how do you come back from that?

Add more depth

Guest Dasein

While I obviously want the Canucks to win, I feel that the Flames really have something special going on. Just feels like that group really plays for one another, and with a lot of passion. Obviously that can only get you so far, and they have terrible possession numbers.

Like I said, I want to see Vancouver win, but wouldn't be surprised in the least if Calgary won. They have been defying the odds all year; and out of all the teams for them to face in the first round, Vancouver is the best match up for them.

And the same could be said about Calgary - I don't think there's a team I'd rather more face in the 1st round than Calgary. Calgary should not be overlooked though, as you say. They will fight to the very end

Devils advocate here but should we lose as a result of their top line outperforming ours....ouch, how do you come back from that?

This is the first time in quite a few years where the West could be represented by any team, and nobody should be surprised. In fact, the only team that would surprise me from the West if they got through to the finals would be the Canucks.

So, to answer your question of "how do you come back from that?", it think it's pretty simple. Benning and Co. continue with their plan, which in all likelihood did not include doing much in the playoffs this year.

And the same could be said about Calgary - I don't think there's a team I'd rather more face in the 1st round than Calgary. Calgary should not be overlooked though, as you say. They will fight to the very end

Being in Winnipeg, I often get to hear a pretty neutral view towards the Canucks and other teams from the Team 1290 out here. The general feeling is that analysts are pretty bummed that the Canucks are Flames are facing each other. Not because it's a Canadian match up, nor because they don't want to see them succeed, but because teams like Nashville/Chicago and St. Louis/Minnesota, where the general feeling is that they are far superior teams, will bow out earlier than more undeserving teams. The feeling is especially strong with St. Louis/Minnesota. The general feeling from analysts is that whoever wins that series will probably represent the West in the finals.

Obviously it's all opinion. Me? As long as the games are entertaining, that's all I care about. When the Kings beat the Devils in 2012, I didn't even watch the last few games. Not because I have anything against either team, I was just bored out of my mind watching them play. So, if the Cup Finals happens to be the Flames vs. Senators, I could care less. As long as it's an entertaining series and doesn't put me to sleep.

This is the first time in quite a few years where the West could be represented by any team, and nobody should be surprised. In fact, the only team that would surprise me from the West if they got through to the finals would be the Canucks.

So, to answer your question of "how do you come back from that?", it think it's pretty simple. Benning and Co. continue with their plan, which in all likelihood did not include doing much in the playoffs this year.

Being in Winnipeg, I often get to hear a pretty neutral view towards the Canucks and other teams from the Team 1290 out here. The general feeling is that analysts are pretty bummed that the Canucks are Flames are facing each other. Not because it's a Canadian match up, nor because they don't want to see them succeed, but because teams like Nashville/Chicago and St. Louis/Minnesota, where the general feeling is that they are far superior teams, will bow out earlier than more undeserving teams. The feeling is especially strong with St. Louis/Minnesota. The general feeling from analysts is that whoever wins that series will probably represent the West in the finals.

Obviously it's all opinion. Me? As long as the games are entertaining, that's all I care about. When the Kings beat the Devils in 2012, I didn't even watch the last few games. Not because I have anything against either team, I was just bored out of my mind watching them play. So, if the Cup Finals happens to be the Flames vs. Senators, I could care less. As long as it's an entertaining series and doesn't put me to sleep.

Wow you watched the finals in 2012, I couldn't get past the first round that year. Every series after the first round were the most boring playoff hockey I have ever seen in my life.

Bonino line or sedin line imo.

Sedins will outside them and expose their inexperience, but I would rather have the bonino line so we can free up the sedins to play against a weaker line. As good as the horvat line can be I would rather have them play easier minutes so they can continue to contribute. Honestly I feel like the skill level of gaudreau and Hudler would make us pay if we aren't careful, I'm sure the horvat line can play with them but we have experienced guys up front that we know can do it.

I think rolling 4 lines may be key to shutting them down.

Each line is defensively responsible but brings different elements to the table.

Sedin line can control the puck in the offensive zone and have their top line chasing the puck for 45 seconds in their defensive zone. Only problem is that Sedins are susceptible to counter rushes and Calgary's top line might only need 1 or 2 chances all game to make a difference. On the other hand, Sedins could also pot 1 or 2 goals against them so I see this as 50/50

Bonino line is defensively solid while still having offensive upside and can play their top line solidly.

Horvat line will play more defensively and hard on the forecheck and backcheck and try to play more physical with them while keeping up speed wise.

Matthias Vey Dorsett might be risky and I would prefer them to have limited time against their top line but when they are on, Dorsett must make his presence known and Matthias despite not using his body as effectively still has the speed to keep up with them. Vey is a hard worker and will try his best.

We can roll 4 lines and keep everyone fresh

I've watched a lot of Flames games this year, been to about 15 games.

I can tell you that Monahan is the real deal, a true beauty. He is a game changer. See the goal against the Coyotes last week. Gaudreau is not Physical, but the guy rarely seems to get hit. His hands are lightning fast and he is lethal. Hudler has quietly been a deadly force. Probably the best value contract in the NHL this year. Say what you want about that line being too inexperienced but they got the job done during the season when no one thought they would and they'll be looking to get the job done again. Don't be surprised if they do.

The thing about the Flames, is that all season long they were supposed to fail. But the Flames truly have the will to win and having seen them play quite a bit this season I'd be worried about them as a team.

I've watched a lot of Flames games this year, been to about 15 games.

I can tell you that Monahan is the real deal, a true beauty. He is a game changer. See the goal against the Coyotes last week. Gaudreau is not Physical, but the guy rarely seems to get hit. His hands are lightning fast and he is lethal. Hudler has quietly been a deadly force. Probably the best value contract in the NHL this year. Say what you want about that line being too inexperienced but they got the job done during the season when no one thought they would and they'll be looking to get the job done again. Don't be surprised if they do.

The thing about the Flames, is that all season long they were supposed to fail. But the Flames truly have the will to win and having seen them play quite a bit this season I'd be worried about them as a team.

I agree with you. That line is so good with finding open spots on the ice. Gaudreau is very elusive and agile with great vision. He can dump the puck off to a team mate and find open ice so quickly to get the return pass.

I wonder if the best way to defend them is to play the trap and create a jam at the blue line so that they cant skate in and find seams to skate/pass.

Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata would probably match up the the best against Calgary's Gaudreau (LW) - Monahan ( C ) - Hudler (LW/C/RW) line.

Calgary's best defensive centers are Backlund (LW/C) & Stajan ( C ) with Monahan close behind.

When Calgary has the last change, you can probably expect to see Bouma (LW/C/RW) - Backlund - Jones (RW) playing against the Sedin line.

Either Ferland (LW/RW) or Raymond (LW/RW) will most likely play the left side if Bouma isn't healthy.

Stajan can play center effectively on any of the bottom 3 lines.

Colborne (LW/C/RW) or Jooris (C/RW) can replace Jones if necessary.

Archived