The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

*Buzzsaw*

How to shut down Calgary's big line?  

275 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People who voted Horvat line are so naive.

He's been facing easier competition than Henrik and Bonino all season.

It doesn't matter that he played a few shifts against Kesler or Thornton or Toews in games where we were leading. Bonino is the one who has been consistently out against other top lines.

Don't get me wrong, Horvat is a good two-way player, but he's our 3rd best center right now, and 4th if Richardson comes back.

Letting Horvat play easier minutes increases scoring from his line anyways.

Exactly. Well said time Lord ^

They haven't dominated like they did in that stretch but they have not been subpar.

Subpar play would be like Mike Richards or Nick Shore line of Los Angeles Kengs.

Iono man... They've been pinned in their zone more than any other line on the team.

Bo has 1 assist in his past 10 games and minus 8. They're only good game was last night in the past 10 (that's going based on memory and glancing at the past 10 games log) I wasn't strictly paying attention to him but I think he's cooled off a lot.

Hopefully he'll be amped up for the playoffs.

But you really shouldn't match up Bo Horvat vs the western conferences 3rd leading scorer. Not at 20 years old... I think he needs more experience. He'll have more success with his linemates if they get some more favourable matchups.

Bo has matched up extremely well at times vs a lot of great players this year including Toews and Crosby but he's not our most consistent bet. At this point.

Again, I'd personally go best on best but whatever line higgy is on would work too.

Is WD good at line matching?

I would ideally put the Bonino line against them but all our sloppy changes and too many men penalties makes me think trying to match lines might end badly.

Have we tried matching lines this year? How did it go?

If our bread and butter is rolling 4 lines and beating the opposition as a 4 line team, maybe we just continue to do that instead of switching our strategy suddenly where players might get confused

Horvat line, it's not even a question. kenins will destroy Gaudreau in game one, so he won't play anymore, and the other two will never touch the puck since they'll never win a faceoff.

hahaha ::D I agree 100% the best post

Hard to say if WD is a good line matcher because I just don't think it's his style. He seems to give everybody an equal opportunity to play and expects them to do it well regardless of who they play against. There were a lot of times this season when the other team had iced the puck and the Sedin's had been off for a couple shifts that he chose to play the forth or third line instead. Maybe it was WD trying to manage their ice time so that they could stay fresh?

AV was the best chess master this team had.

Horvat line. They match up too well.

• Gaudreaus game is based on speed and space. Good luck getting space with Ronny Kenins or Jannik Hansen constantly in your face. They can neutralize his speed factor, and honestly, probably bruise him up pretty bad. Kenins alone will tag him 2-3 times a game.
  • Hudler is tough to contain, but I like the idea of an experienced Hansen on him. Again, similar to Gaudreau, the speed on the wings will be huge in containing Hudler.
  • Monohan, at this point in his career is better than Horvat is. Not much we can do about that. However, Horvat is much better than Monohan is in the dot. In fact, Bo is really our only good face-off man. But that will be huge in taking away their time on attack. Still, defensively, he won't get blown out by Monohan in our own zone. Bo is much bigger than Monohan is. About 20 pounds bigger. He will be able to muscle Monohan out in the corners as well as in front of the net.

Overall, The Horvat line seems to be the best fit. I also really want to free up the Bonino line, so Vrbata can get a more offensive role.

People who voted Horvat line are so naive.

He's been facing easier competition than Henrik and Bonino all season.

It doesn't matter that he played a few shifts against Kesler or Thornton or Toews in games where we were leading. Bonino is the one who has been consistently out against other top lines.

Don't get me wrong, Horvat is a good two-way player, but he's our 3rd best center right now, and 4th if Richardson comes back.

Letting Horvat play easier minutes increases scoring from his line anyways.

you know Horvat has linemates right? kennis is hard to play against and hansen is great on the forecheck and has great speed. if you use Horvats line against the Flames top line you free up the sedins line and vrbatas line to be more offensive.

How did he get the nickname "Johnny hockey " ?

cuporbust

"The first time Johnny Gaudreau remembers being called Johnny Hockey was two hockey seasons ago when theCarneys Point, N.J. product was a sophomore at Boston College.

"I was going for the Hobey Baker (Award) and that's when Johnny Manziel was winning the Heisman," the Calgary Flames star rookie said Tuesday before playing his first NHL game against the Flyers, his hometown team. "It was just the community at Boston College. They were real supportive over there and I'm really fortunate of all the followers."

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/03/johnny_hockey_flyers_react_to_calgary_flames_rooki.html

The Canucks post season experience will be the difference. The Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, and Hansen have accrued enough playoff experience to lead Lack, Horvat, Kassian and the rest of the emerging core past the Flames.

Veterans know the dogs of war, greenhorns don't.

Physicality will be key rather than matchups. There aren't a lot of teams we can tune up physically but Calgary is one. They're a good regular season team but I really doubt they can grind out a series against us.

The Canucks are deceptively tougher this year. They matched ths Bruins and Kings hit for hit in recent match ups.

The battle level of the Canucks is more than adequate.

Archived