The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The stars are aligning for the Canucks

250Integra

You are right, AV did no harm to us so the word revenge doesn't fit here at all. In fact, we fired him so it makes sense for him to exact some revenge on us but doesn't make sense for us to "revenge against AV". My guess is that some people don't really understand what the word "revenge" means.

Revenge: the action of hurting or harming someone in return for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.

So, yeah, not sure what great harm AV did to Vancouver that would require "revenge". Quite the opposite in fact.

We met 4 times in history in round 1, and each time we went on to the finals.

Not my factoid, but a good one!

Tell that to 2003.

And to the 3 Division semifinal losses during the 80's.

But of the last 4 times the Nucks and Flames met in the 1st round one of the teams ended up in the Finals. Us 3 times, and them in 2003/04.

Tell that to 2003.

And to the 3 Division semifinal losses during the 80's.

But of the last 4 times the Nucks and Flames met in the 1st round one of the teams ended up in the Finals. Us 3 times, and them in 2003/04.

twice each

It was 40 years ago when the Canucks got knocked out by Montreal in their first playoff year.

How fitting would it be to have the first all-Canadian final since '89 and see the Canucks beat the Canadiens in 6 games(Game 6 would be at home!), wearing the 3rds and "Mr. Overtime", Alex Burrows scores with 45 seconds in the first OT, that's 19:15(1915).

Two songs that should be played at Rogers should this happen:

1. We Are The Champions by Queen

2. Can't Stop This Thing We Started or Thought I Died And Gone To Heaven by local boy Bryan Adams.

Cup is ours.

Everyone meet me at the parade on the corner of Fairmont on Georgia on June 16th. We can be part of the CDC believers.

See you there buddy! Ill be the one with the "Hello my name is Kesheniel" name tag on. ::D

I'm not sure how paved the way was for us in 2003. Giguere and the Ducks were on a mission that playoff and I dont think our 1 line team with Cloutier in goal would've beaten them in the 3rd round. The Wild beat us like a rented mule and then were swept in the next series and only scored 1 goal in the 4 games.

I'm not crazy about our cup chances this year either, especially if we made it to the Final and we had to play the Rags. I think that would end up being a repeat of '94.

I didn't believe the way was "paved" for us in 2003 either. That was the general consensus floating around since we didn't have to face Detroit or Colorado that year and they were the bane of the Canucks existence very much like everyone didn't want to see the likes of the Kings or Bruins this year.

I completely agree that Anaheim was on a mission and that Giguere was brilliant (Lu lovers take note: Giguere's performance that year is how a goaltender singlehandedly carries you to the SCF!).

I just feel history is repeating itself on CDC as the way is suddenly "paved" for us but it will be a monumental struggle just to get out of the first round. The Flames are just too good and are definitely the younger, faster and likely more enthusiastic team. It reminds me of the first time we faced Chicago in 2009 and we know how that turned out. I have a feeling the Flames will do it too. I hope I'm wrong.

Go Canucks Go!

I like our chances but I am not prepared to disrespect Calgary. They are far too good to treat this other than possibly the hardest set pf games we will have, if we progress.

So while I am optimistic, I will look no further than this series. And I will enjoy it. Don't forget. luck, injuries and refereeing will always be a factor.

I'm not gonna get ahead of myself, because honestly Calgary does make me very nervous. However, this year the cup is wide open for any team! I believe in our boys! Let's see if we can bring it home!

I checked out some team stats on NHL.com and Calgary and Vancouver are surprisingly close in almost every category. (They're almost as bad as us on faceoffs! ;) )

The only clear advantage in any meaningful statistic was the Canucks' superior penalty kill.

It's going to be a close, tough series...

Imagine beating our old rival the Flames, to beating Kesler and the Ducks, to beating one of our most hated rivals, the Blackhawks, then getting revenge against AV and the Rangers to win the Stanley Cup.

Dream playoff run.

This. Though I don't know about the whole revenge thing. However, if we were to win the Cup, this is the perfect way to do it.

This year more than ever before is there no true clear-cut favourite or favourites. Every team has just about a 1/16 chance at winning the Cup. I wouldn't say Vancouver is any better orworsethan those odds to be honest. The Ducks and Rangers may be slightly better but matchups are everything.

I also have the same concerns about Calgary.

Gaudreau and Monahan reminds so much of Toewes and Kane from their first few seasons. Remember when Chicago went up against Calgary in 2008-09 season? I thought that there is no way that Chicago would beat Flames, let alone in 6 games. And I thought there was no way that we would lose to them either. If this team goes into the playoffs with old legs, we might suffer the same fate.

I think the fact that a young goalie with something to prove in Lack as our starter is a good thing. But also, I think Baertschi is one player that can tip the scale in our favor. When I saw some posters say that this could be Baertschi's series. I laughed. But after today's game, I think they might be right. Calgary is a young team and we need to beat them with the right mix of experience and youth. I think Baertschi adds just enough youth to get us at the perfect balance of experience and you.

i don't see a Duncan Keith, Dustin Byfuglien, Patrick Sharp, Seabrook, Ladd etc.

Gaudrea and Monahan aren't as good as Toews and Kane back in 09.

No similarities at all between that hawks team and this flames team.

No cup this year..

IMO second round is the furthest we can go.. with a possibility of third if the cards are aligned properly.

You must be a lot of fun to watch games with.

Imagine beating our old rival the Flames, to beating Kesler and the Ducks, to beating one of our most hated rivals, the Blackhawks, then getting revenge against AV and the Rangers to win the Stanley Cup.

Dream playoff run.

This is exactly how I see it going down. Thanks for being positive.

More likely assuming they get to the finals which they won't when they get to the finals lose and we have another riot downtown

but fortunately we won't have to worry about that

Total di^k comment. You should hang out with Bummer4now, hope we lose so you can be right and wait for the cascadia fault line to slip.

Archived