The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa

BMorrison 7

I think sbisa is a borderline NHL dman. If he was on chicago he would be scratched or barely be playing. There would be no way quennville would let sbisa screw up as much as he does without consequences like willie.

Look at how Quinneville has handled the minutes with his d corps. In that marathon game he let his top 4 play 45+ minutes each I believe and barely used his bottom 2. That doesn't show much faith in them. I think he'd be glad to have Sbisa over guys like Cumiskey or Timmonen.

Wrong! he made mistakes, but blaming the entire series on him is asinine.

Hey this is CDC where Willie Mitchell got the blame from many for a 6 game series loss to Chicago for a turnover in game 4. Two Cup rings later...

Wrong! he made mistakes, but blaming the entire series on him is asinine. The play thet cost us was a pass by Edler which went off our forwards skate. Our forward puck support was atrocious.

Ok; he was 5th worst on our team. Benning and Linden seem to think he has room to grow as a player. I do also.

I guess if it weren't for Sbisa we'd be playing Chicago for a chance at the Cup!!

He screened our goalie for no reason resulting in 2 Calgary goals. Turned the puck over with loads of time twice along the boards directly resulting in goals and twice behind the net with time directly resulting in goals. All plays where he had time to make a play and made the wrong decision directly resulting in goals.

He makes huge mistakes you can't have in the playoffs, and makes them frequently against low quality competition. I have absolutely no doubt if not for Sbisa's play we'd have been handily dismantled by the Ducks. Which is a lot easier to swallow than losing to the Flames.

It's not just Sbisa's fault though, someone had to keep putting him out there despite his monumental struggles. But go ahead, tell me more about Edler's one mistake that cost a goal.

I think sbisa is a borderline NHL dman. If he was on chicago he would be scratched or barely be playing. There would be no way quennville would let sbisa screw up as much as he does without consequences like willie.

You would never ever, not once see Quenville start him in 1 playoff game. Sbisa was starting for us several games, it's f*cking madness.

He screened our goalie for no reason resulting in 2 Calgary goals. Turned the puck over with loads of time twice along the boards directly resulting in goals and twice behind the net with time directly resulting in goals. All plays where he had time to make a play and made the wrong decision directly resulting in goals.

He makes huge mistakes you can't have in the playoffs, and makes them frequently against low quality competition. I have absolutely no doubt if not for Sbisa's play we'd have been handily dismantled by the Ducks. Which is a lot easier to swallow than losing to the Flames.

It's not just Sbisa's fault though, someone had to keep putting him out there despite his monumental struggles. But go ahead, tell me more about Edler's one mistake that cost a goal.

That comment right there shows that your opinion must be taken with a grain of salt. So Edler only made one mistake in the series. Ok, no bias there.

The point you and others continue to ignore is that he is young and has room to grow as a player. He has attributes that this team needs. You'd have to put aside your hatred first. I don't see that happening with your obvious bias.

Look at how Quinneville has handled the minutes with his d corps. In that marathon game he let his top 4 play 45+ minutes each I believe and barely used his bottom 2. That doesn't show much faith in them. I think he'd be glad to have Sbisa over guys like Cumiskey or Timmonen.

That's my point. Sbisa isn't really better than those two and quenneville would trust sbisa just as much as those two, which is not at all.

That's why he's such a superior coach than Willie. Queeneville isn't dumb and he knows overplaying his top 4 isn't ideal, but he realizes the alternative means a higher chance of losing and getting eliminated from the playoffs.

He's young. He will turn it around. People need to chill. He and Bieksa just don't gel. Maybe thd coach needs to change up the pairings

He's the same age as Doughty and Subban. Don't use the age excuse for Sbisa. He's a $&!#ty defenseman. Horrible hockey IQ that leads to turnovers. Go back and watch Canucks games and see how truly pathetic he is with the puck. His "physicality" is a mirage. If people thought Edler was inconsistent, Sbisa's play defines the very word.

He sucks and will suck this time next year. I can only hope that Corrado or Clendening have a banner year and supercede him on the depth chart. Benning signed him because he had to save face.

He started last season very badly. His first three months were a disaster. His play picked up later in the season.

He ended the season with 151 hits and 128 blocked shots. 2nd in both categories I believe. Bonino, Stanton, Horvat, and Dorsett had worse Corsi than him. Stanton and Sbisa are both 25.

Whether certain fans like it or not we need players like him against bigger physical teams. We need NHL ready d-men when our older players invariably get injured. I am ok with the signing.

Source for your stats and comments about them?

Bonino CF% 51.1 CF%RelTM +2.3

Sbisa CF% 47.1 CF%RelTM -3.1

One was fine and his teammates were better with than without him. The other was poor and his teammates did markedly worse with him than without him. Sbisa was a horrible Corsi player.

You're right about his Corsi stats being better than those of Stanton, Horvat and Dorsett, all of whom were black holes possession wise, though Horvat improved markedly towards the end of the year having had the worst possession stats on the team until January.

Corsi stats from stats.hockeyanalysis.com. Date stats can be viewed at war-on-ice.com.

He was directly responsible for 6 goals calgary scored that literally cost us the series. Twice he screened our goalie for easy Calgary goals, 2 pizzas for easy calgary goals, heard footsteps and froze behind the net turning the puck over for 2 more easy calgary goals.

But go ahead, tell me about corsi..

I don't think you know what "literally" means.

Considering Sbisa's form before he came to Vancouver, I think he has been great.

As for those whining about losing to the Flames, we probably took too much out of the players who coped while all the others were injured. Guys like Horvat, Kenins, the Twins, Vey, Sbisa, Vbrata, Weber nocked themselves out getting us there.

Yeah, there are some issues with Sbisa but there were plenty of times he looked good this season, to go along with the times he looked terrible. He's a project, but still has middle-pairing upside, and isn't as far from realizing it as the most negative commentators say. There are bigger issues on our D, IMHO, like lack of complementary roles in pairings, lack of puck moving ability, lack of physicality, etc. Solve some of them, and Sbisa will look a lot better. Pairings are a particularly big issue right now. Tanev is a solid RD but would be more appropriate on a second pairing than the first. After him, at RD there's Bieksa, Weber, Clendenning and Corrado, none of whom are more than bottom pairing material at this stage, and none of whom are going to do anything to stabilize a pairing the way Tanev and Hamhuis do. Some of that shows up around Sbisa, but not all of it is his fault. And as several have noted above, lack of forward support was an important factor in the success of Calgary's forecheck during our round 1 loss.

Archived