The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

I can understand the hate for Sbisa especially after his performance against the Flames, but he's still only 25. I would give him another shot and would like to see what he can do next season. Sure, his contract can turn out to be a really bad one, but it can also become one that really pays off.

People complain about how we dragged out another stale core for another unsuccessful season. But I'd rather see the Canucks get 101 points and have a bounceback year with a few young guns like Horvat and Vey, and develop them in a winning environment that refuses to tank.

Some of you need to realize that this is just year 1. I still remember when Anaheim had a couple of bad years in 09/10 and 11/12 when they missed the playoffs, as they were still waiting for Getzlaf and Perry to fully develop. Now, I'm not saying that Horvat is going to become another Getzlaf, but what I am saying is that the Canucks definitely have the potential to pull off a successful re-tool like Anahiem has done when they transitioned from Selanne, McDonald, and Niedermeyer, to now with Getzlaf and Perry.

I agree about Sbisa. Sure, his play often leaves a lot to be desired and his new contract may turn out to be a bad gaff. But at his age, and more importantly with the Canucks not having a lot of pressure to win in the next year or two, I think at least one more year of him is a worthwhile investment.

Sbisa is not a good defenseman at all. 25 is old enough for a defenseman to be developed. No excuses there.

The Sedins played their asses off and showed true passion throughout the series. They, of all Canucks, deserved a better fate than that.

The contract is done. It may have been a mistake on Benning's part but there's no sense in kicking him out at this point. Let's see how he does next year.

He was so excited to get that extension and said he loved this city. Hopefully his actions speak louder than his own words.

Centre.

To me, Horvat has shown that he will be the 2C of the future.

Bonino is really a 3C and will do well in that position. He is good defensively and is overmatched offensively at 2C.

Bottom line, is there really a need to start shuffling assets to find that 2C in the 1-2 year term? I don't think so.

I'm not sure how long the Sedins will continue to be effective. This year, they were clearly the best players on the Canucks and both top 15 point getters in the league. Not worried about them.

The contract is done. It may have been a mistake on Benning's part but there's no sense in kicking him out at this point. Let's see how he does next year.

He was so excited to get that extension and said he loved this city. Hopefully his actions speak louder than his own words.

Who wouldn't be excited about making $3,600,000.00 a year?

All the same, it was a decent season.

Horvat has arrived and will eventually lead this team. The Sedins played with a renewed sense of passion and purpose. Edler had a bounce back year.

Personally, I'm really interested to see a much larger youth injection involving Virtanen, Hutton, Pedan, Saunter, Stewart, Shinkaruk and more taking spots on the team.

Trade Edler. The guy cost us game 3, game 6 and arguably game 1 with brutal decision making and even worse position. Just god awful. If there's no value there, trade him and a 6th for a 7th rd pick. We would have advanced in game 5 if it wasn't for him. Just disguisting.

Ok People......stop suggesting trading away prospects for patches.........we need more prospects and we need to take a step back to do this...........

Does anyone understand that 10 or 11 bottom teams will acquire a generational, elite or #1 type player this year, while we probably will be drafting a #2 or # 3 type player this year........which means those teams will be figuratively be getting better from the draft at an exponential rate compared to us.

This is even more magnified by the fact that most of those teams hold extra picks equal to our first pick, and still own their 2nds and 3rds, of which we have traded away for the sake of inner competition...........

Think about the ramifications, while having this discussion........

Trade Edler. The guy cost us game 3, game 6 and arguably game 1 with brutal decision making and even worse position. Just god awful. If there's no value there, trade him and a 6th for a 7th rd pick. We would have advanced in game 5 if it wasn't for him. Just disguisting.

Edler isn't exactly the model of consistency and stability at times but that seems a bit harsh to me. For much of the season he was steady and reliable in his own end and even brought physicality at times, something we haven't seen much of from him since his back injury. He's the right age and probably still our best D man after Tanev.

We're not going to see a change in goaltending. Need more toughness and offense on the back end. They need to a least say seeya to Higgins. Still not sold on Bonino and Vey.

I think the issue with Bones is that he, like Higgins, is just being used in a role he's not suited for. At his cap hit he makes a hell of a third liner but he's not the type of 2C needed to make some real noise in this league. If he was our undisputed 3C we'd probably all be pretty happy with him.

GO AFTER CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF.

He might be a defensive liability at times...but...

You will be surprised how many goals on the powerplay this guy scored with the Sedin twins and Edler.

There is a chemistry you can't find elsewhere.

If the Sedin twins are staying, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF.

Edler isn't exactly the model of consistency and stability at times but that seems a bit harsh to me. For much of the season he was steady and reliable in his own end and even brought physicality at times, something we haven't seen much of from him since his back injury. He's the right age and probably still our best D man after Tanev.

Did you see how many times he threw the puck up the middle resulting in Calgary scoring on us, it was 4-5 goals in games 3&6. And probably another 3-4 in the other 4 games. Without Tanev Sheltering Edler's butchering of defensive responsibilities, I would go as far to say that Edler would have ended up in the press box on a few occasions. He didnt improve this year, Tanev is simply that good that he could recover most times.

Did you see how many times he threw the puck up the middle resulting in Calgary scoring on us, it was 4-5 goals in games 3&6. And probably another 3-4 in the other 4 games. Without Tanev Sheltering Edler's butchering of defensive responsibilities, I would go as far to say that Edler would have ended up in the press box on a few occasions. He didnt improve this year, Tanev is simply that good that he could recover most times.

Yeah I'm not saying he's a world-beater or anything but for the most part he was actually pretty decent this year, whether that was Tanev's doing or not. I think if Edler were to be moved he'd still yield a good return, but how do you suppose we replace him? How do you envision the D pairings looking next year without Edler? We don't have a LHD waiting in the wings really, unless somebody were to surprise at training camp. When Edler is on he's still pretty solid. But yeah, at this point in his career it's fair to demand consistency from him and we haven't got a ton of that.

Around 1978 it was really exciting with great prospects like Smyl,Gradin, Fraser, and Hanlon coming to the team. They were great, but the thing is other teams had even better prospects and the team never got above.500. I have some concern that this will be happening again.

Archived