The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning could look at trading Eddie Lack - Article

Eddie is 27 years old and an impending UFA next year and has only demonstrated he will be a good enough goalie, but not an elite one. Guys like Schneider and Varlamov were younger, proven as starters and had term on their deals. Both were seen as having elite potential and ARE elite goalies right now, Eddie has shown no such thing. He will be a good goalie, but I doubt he will be anywhere close to those guys and I seriously doubt a team trades a top-40 pick straight up for Eddie.

Unless there is serious bidding over him, I doubt the Canucks get much. Perhaps something like a 3rd and a conditional 4th if the re-signs from Buffalo is probably the kind of deal you are looking at imo.

Lacks value is a pick between 20-35.

I had to look into this with more depth, to see how far value was between cory and Lack.

Cory Schneider was dealt at the age of 27 to the New Jersey Devils for the 9th overall pick (Horvat). Unconfirmed rumour was Oilers were offering up their 6th overall but Gillis didn’t want to trade within division. Canucks were also handcuffed with cap going down and an unmovable Luongo contract which also hurt the value of moving Cory. At the time this draft was said to be the deepest draft since 2003.

At the time Cory was dealt his Pro stats were.

Cory Schneider

AHL level

GP 136

Shutouts 12

GAA 2.25

S% .919

NHL level

GP 98

Shutouts 9

GAA 2.01

S% .927

Eddie Lack is currently 27. Now his numbers are not on par as to Schneider’s but they really aren’t too far off. Consider the strengths of the teams (2 president trophy winners vs 6th worst and bubble team). Consider the pressure of the games, Lack did this for that majority of his time as the number 1 (Luongo was dealt, Miller was hurt).

Up to date, here are Eddie Lacks Pro stats.

Eddie Lack

AHL level

GP 112

Shutouts 10

GAA 2.32

S% .919

NHL level

GP 82

Shutouts 6

GAA 2.29

S% .917

Now I’m not saying Lack alone can get you the 9th overall pick, but if Cory can get you a 9th overall, with potential to be higher (minus cap going down, inter division trading, and Luongo handcuffing us). The there is no reason why Lack wont garner a late first.

Cory was the exact same age as Lack, and he had proven less as a starter than Lack, Lack has already played the role of number one goalie for two seasons, when Luongo was dealt and Miller got hurt. The only difference is the perceived potential in both goalies. and for that Cory pick up a 9th overall in the deepest draft since 2003, and when canucks really didn't have much options to negotiate due to cap going down.. Your telling me Lack isn't worth at least a late first or early second?????

I'm not disputing they'd want Lack more but he'd also cost them more to get. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Lack would cost them more but he is a lot better for them than Miller is.

Lack's cheap cap hit would give them more than enough flexibility to re-sign the players they want and address their back end.

I think a trade could be made for SJS's 9th involving Lack.

Something around our 1st(22nd/23rd) and Lack for SJS's 9th.

Doesn't effect their current roster in any negative way. They add a goalie that can be a starter for them longer and cheaper than Miller could and Niemi should be.

Lack's cheap cap hit would give them more than enough flexibility to re-sign the players they want and address their back end.

Doesn't effect their current roster in any negative way. They add a goalie that can be a starter for them longer and cheaper than Miller could and Niemi should be.

Add in Bieska to add in the D depth they need and it's getting real close..

Lack + 23rd + Bieska for 9th overall.

Canucks dump cap, and pick up a top ten pick.

Sharks get a goalie for long term (same age range as Courture, Hertl, Vlasic and Pavelski), D help that they've needed since Boyle left, and they still pick in the first round, plus they still got more cap than they would if they took on miller alone.

Cory was the exact same age as Lack, and he had proven less as a starter than Lack, Lack has already played the role of number one goalie for two seasons, when Luongo was dealt and Miller got hurt. The only difference is the perceived potential in both goalies. and for that Cory pick up a 9th overall in the deepest draft since 2003, and when canucks really didn't have much options to negotiate due to cap going down.. Your telling me Lack isn't worth at least a late first or early second?????

Schneider actually was the starter. He had played more and put up significantly better numbers as a Canuck. Schneider was not an impending unrestricted free agent, he had 2 years left on his deal. Everything about Schneider pointed towards him being an elite goaltender, Lack may be good but he'll never be elite. Lack has 1 year left on his deal, is due for a big raise and could outright walk. That already means you were never going to get a 1st in the deal, especially in this draft. Add to the fact he wasn't as young or with RFA status as other guys like Varlamov and Bernier or projects to pan out like either of them and that pretty much puts you into late 2nd territory. Unless Buffalo and SJ get into a serious bidding war, I doubt he gets a top-40 pick.

A team as utterly desperate as Minnesota, a team spiraling down the standing because they couldn't stop letting in goals, paid a 3rd for Devan friggen Dubnyk over paying up for Lack, who was much more highly regarded compared to Dubnyk at the time. Eddie doesn't have as much promise or control as younger goalies who have been traded and nor does he have the games under his belt like Miller or Halak to get the ideal kind of value for him. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Lack + 23rd + Bieska for 9th overall

Bieksa and SJS won't do that. Add Stanton if they want extra D depth.

They probably would spend that cap on Mike Green guaranteed. He's probably the closest player they can nab that's like Boyle.

Then they can put Burns back as a forward and you got the scary Sharks once again.

No to retaining any sort of cap. It's the same mistake the idiot who Benning replaced made and it's simply unforgivable. I'd rather waive Miller if it comes down to it instead of crippling the team's cap flexibility.

Waiving doesn't save much, better off retaining cap and dealing him.

Again, I'm not disputing that but you seem to be claiming it's a landslide that SJ would go for Lack (and his higher price tag).

I'm saying that it's pretty darn equal. Yes, Lack would be preferable but Miller's not much of a downgrade and could be had for cheap. They'll have to pay to get the lower age and cap hit of Lack and they may not want to pay that price.

Miller as a practically free alternative with a short contract (that happens to expire the same time as Thorton/Marleau's FYI) starts to look more attractive.

Schneider actually was the starter. He had played more and put up significantly better numbers as a Canuck. Schneider was not an impending unrestricted free agent, he had 2 years left on his deal. Everything about Schneider pointed towards him being an elite goaltender, Lack may be good but he'll never be elite. Lack has 1 year left on his deal, is due for a big raise and could outright walk. That already means you were never going to get a 1st in the deal, especially in this draft. Add to the fact he wasn't as young or with RFA status as other guys like Varlamov and Bernier or projects to pan out like either of them and that pretty much puts you into late 2nd territory. Unless Buffalo and SJ get into a serious bidding war, I doubt he gets a top-40 pick.

A team as utterly desperate as Minnesota, a team spiraling down the standing because they couldn't stop letting in goals, paid a 3rd for Devan friggen Dubnyk over paying up for Lack, who was much more highly regarded compared to Dubnyk at the time. Eddie doesn't have as much promise or control as younger goalies who have been traded and nor does he have the games under his belt like Miller or Halak to get the ideal kind of value for him. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Minnesota paid a 3rd round, wow, they could have picked him up in the summer as a UFA for nothing before that. Until Devin landed in Minnesota he has accomplished nothing in the NHL, and he was one more team away from being out of the league. Nothing about him before the trade pointed at him becoming the wilds fulltime starter. Hence why he went for a 3rd round pick. Lack situation vrs Dubnyk situation are at completely ends of the spectrum.

How many games did Cory play as a the starter? Oh that’s right he never played more than 33 games in a single season in Vancouver.

Lack has already played way more as a starter, without a backup net in case he fails and he had a much worse team in front of him. Cory had a president trophy winning team, Lack had a team that finished 6th worst. Yes your right Cory was thought to be elite, that’s why when he got traded for only a 9th, the whole world thought canucks got under value. Lack may not hold the Elite card but he is still a number one goalie, who’s young, who’s got a cheap cap and has zero restrictions on what team he can go to. Most goalies drafted in the 20-35 range don’t amount to more than Lack currently is.

If you’re a team like Buffalo or Edmonton and you have 3 picks within 1-33, and need a goalie. Do you:

A – Draft a goalie in that range and hopes in 4-6 years he becomes a fulltime starter?

B – Use that pick to trade for a goalie that can solve your issued in net for the next 7 years?

Lack + 23rd + Bieska for 9th overall.

Canucks dump cap, and pick up a top ten pick.

Sharks get a goalie for long term (same age range as Courture, Hertl, Vlasic and Pavelski), D help that they've needed since Boyle left, and they still pick in the first round, plus they still got more cap than they would if they took on miller alone.

That's an awful lot for 9th when we got Horvat (9th) for just Schneider. Even if the market's a bit less right now, you'd think Lack and Bieksa alone would get us 9th and we draft twice in the first, thanks.

Again, I'm not disputing that but you seem to be claiming it's a landslide that SJ would go for Lack (and his higher price tag).

I'm saying that it's pretty darn equal. Yes, Lack would be preferable but Miller's not much of a downgrade and could be had for cheap. They'll have to pay to get the lower age and cap hit of Lack and they may not want to pay that price.

Miller as a practically free alternative with a short contract (that happens to expire the same time as Thorton/Marleau's FYI) starts to look more attractive.

Not really equal at all. Yeah they can get Miller cheap but they can get Niemi for nothing. Horrible contract year for him so don't expect Niemi to get solid term or $$.

As a said before Miller's cap hit prevents them from doing anything significant in FA and they have other issues that they could address come FA.

Lack's cap hit is cheaper and a lot better for them. It gives them that cap flexibility so they can address those issues come FA.

Meaning although Miller could be had for cheaper Lack is a lot more better for them.

Benning is not overpaying. He is paying market price for the privilege of keeping trading rights.

Anyone he has signed so far can be traded anywhere. That is increased value from other years where full NTCs hampered the GM.

I understand that it costs less to sign a player if that player get a NTC. In Miller's case Miller got an overpayment and a (slightly limited) NTC. There is no way Miller could be traded "anywhere". When Miller was in the market most GMs had no interest in paying anything like 6 million for him, and they would not take on that contract AND provide another asset in return.

There might be someone who would take Miller if the Canucks take another bad contract back in return or add some sort of sweeter to the deal.

Tanev is probably the most tradable of the Benning signees but even he is not tradeable "anywhere". Dorsett might get a few takers. I would be amazed if anyone would trade any asset of value for Sbisa's contract. Vey would be worth very little in the market -- certainly the Canucks could not recover the 2nd round pick they gave up for him.

Not really equal at all. Yeah they can get Miller cheap but they can get Niemi for nothing. Horrible contract year for him so don't expect Niemi to get solid term or $$.

As a said before Miller's cap hit prevents them from doing anything significant in FA and they have other issues that they could address come FA.

Lack's cap hit is cheaper and a lot better for them. It gives them that cap flexibility so they can address those issues come FA.

Meaning although Miller could be had for cheaper Lack is a lot more better for them.

And as I said, Niemi is probably looking for 4-6 years at $5m. Miller could easily look more attractive there.

Lack, sure he'd be a better fit age and cap wise but would Miller for a measly two years and keeping their 9th overall pick be better...?

Archived