The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Mike Babcock chooses the Toronto Maple Leafs

If true, then Babcock will have to deal with Phil Kessel. Good luck.

Vancouver wins 5 Cups before the Leafs win another.

If true, then Babcock will have to deal with Phil Kessel. Good luck.

Vancouver wins 5 Cups before the Leafs win another.

I bet the Leafs win a Cup in the next five years while the Canucks come close but never do because of its depressed media and argumentative fans...

I'm a Canuck. But damn are the Leafs making it hard to hate them right now.

And ANY true fan of the game will agree.

More interesting, does this mean Leafs don't trade Phaneuf and Kessel and give the can another kick or do they move forward and continue the rebuild?

I'm not sure it was ever much of an option for this season... the rebuild will be a retool.

The Leafs can't just pack it in for a couple of years.

I can see that Babcock will be a defacto GM though with regards to player personnel decisions, and they might even give him the title anyway, and he will try to make the playoffs over everything else regardless. It's not his M.O. to accept mediocrity so he'll be spending next season evaluating who he wants to keep.

I agree this will be a significant challenge and perhaps Babcock having such success wants to challenge himself further. My concern is the organization above him and the stability or lack there of. You can have an amazing coach who has been successful throughout his career, but unless he is given the tools and freedom to do what is needed said coach can faulter like any other.

Concerns about how Kessel was above the coaching the past couple of seasons with Carlyle, who is going to straighten this up and let the coach drop the hammer while making his players accountable ?

If it's the same song and dance only now having Babcock behind the bench what is going to change ?

It'll be another 3 seasons before the Leafs make the playoffs....unless they are able to unload at least Kessel and Phaneuf. That should be their #1 priority, at all costs. Build up from the bottom if they must but first cut out the cancers.

Wow... i thought this signing was fake but :blink:

Babcock is a good coach but i no coach should be getting 50 million... wtf are the leafs that desperate?

We will see how good Babcock is, i've never really felt he was that great because he's had HOF's play for him.

Toronto doesnt have a Lidstrom or /Neidermayer/Pronger on the backend, they dont have dynamic duos like Zetterberg/Datsyuk , Getzlaf/Perry.

the Team Canada squads he has coached were stacked so you can put a monkey to coach team Canada and we'd still win gold.

I honestly dont see what so great about Babcock to earn him 50 million :blink: I think he just signed his retirement contract though so good on him.

and he has won ONE Cup..... Quenville and Brent Sutter are probably thinking wtf lol

So I just gotta say, TO just told the fans that they were doing a long term rebuild, building from the ground up and trading away all their players, so they bring in a coach to help them do what exactly? Have they abandoned their rebuild already? This makes no sense.

Buffalo got double whammy'd. First McDavid and now Babcock. Ouch!

Tripple whammy actually, as they missed out on Ekblad last year, which was an incredible miss. Ekblad will be a better d-man than McD will be as a forward, and you can quote me on it.

So I just gotta say, TO just told the fans that they were doing a long term rebuild, building from the ground up and trading away all their players, so they bring in a coach to help them do what exactly? Have they abandoned their rebuild already? This makes no sense.

They want the best coach in the NHL, so they can say be patient, we're fixing the problem.

Archived