The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Ehrhoff moving on from Pittsburgh

I seem to recall some bad blood from Bieksa's comments the year after the Hoff left. He made an allusion to certain people that only cared about money and not the team, or somethng. It was clearly aimed at Hoff.

Personally, I'd pass unless he could be had in the $2.5-3 range.

Everyone keeps saying he wants the money. People keep forgetting that what he wanted was job security. His issue was always length of term, not how much the contract was for.

In other words, those suggesting 1- or 2-year contracts, pretty unlikely he'd want to consider those.

^THIS.

Couldn't have said it more perfectly. Ehrhoff didn't care about the money, it was always about the 10 years he got from Buffalo that sealed the deal. At the time he was just worried about his family and just wanted to make sure he was getting an income in the long run no matter what.

Edit: And you know what? I think he'll push up the point totals with Edler and with the Twins and Vrbata on the powerplay? Simply deadly.

Why not? Chances are the team is going nowhere and maybe he could help change that, if not then we haven't lost anything. It's been a long time since Ehrhoff was here but when he was we had the 2 best offensive seasons of this era, perhaps he could get our PP going at a good clip again.

Talk about wanting to go back in time. Ehrhoff will not bring back another CUP shot. Move on.

As suggested above by some it was about the money. He will sign again for the money. The Canuck time line does not need a Ehrhoff. Spend the money on younger options.

Talk about wanting to go back in time. Ehrhoff will not bring back another CUP shot. Move on.

As suggested above by some it was about the money. He will sign again for the money. The Canuck time line does not need a Ehrhoff. Spend the money on younger options.

Name me one clear cut D prospect in the Canucks' system who is projected to be a top D for this team. Consider Subban's size before answering. In the West to boot.

Adding Ehrhoff at this time canNOT hurt the Canucks. It can only help transitioning the team toward an eventual new core, like Miller to Lack.

There's potential for this to be a decent move for us.

If we sign both Ehrhoff and McQuaid, while moving Bieksa for picks, then we could also package Corrado in a deal with other assets like Higgins, Hamhuis and Markstrom to improve another roster spot.

Edler-Tanev

Ehrhoff-McQuaid

Sbisa-Weber

Clendening

Not the worst we could do for the next couple of years while we get assets for expiring contracts.

The PP was top 10 in the league wasn't it?

Not sure, but it would only get better with Hoff, his chemistry with the twins is already established, and the move will also increase their production. If the price were right, I'd go out on a limb and sign him for 3 years, then he and the twins can quarterback the offence during that time, while the young players develop.

There's potential for this to be a decent move for us.

If we sign both Ehrhoff and McQuaid, while moving Bieksa for picks, then we could also package Corrado in a deal with other assets like Higgins, Hamhuis and Markstrom to improve another roster spot.

Edler-Tanev

Ehrhoff-McQuaid

Sbisa-Weber

Clendening

Not the worst we could do for the next couple of years while we get assets for expiring contracts.

One more physical D would be great, but like it!

One more physical D would be great, but like it!

The truth is that I'd rather keep Hammer if possible as well but that would require moving Bieksa, Higgins and Miller for potentially little salary return to free up the cap space. That would allow Ehrhoff to play the RH side and make us a deeper team.

Edler-Ehrhoff ----> Offense

Hamhuis-Tanev ----> Shutdown

Sbisa-McQuiad ----> Physical

Weber/Corrado-Clendening

Moving those three vets, (Bieksa, Miller, Higgins) along with some other pieces like Corrado/Weber, could allow us to add up front as well as picks.

Lots of potential but it's up to the management to see what dance partners there may be out there. Need some waiving of NTCs first.

Just talked with Christian Ehrhoff's agent Richard Curran - he will test the free agent waters on July 1st. #Canucks
Curan tells me that yes, Vancouver would be 1 of the teams Ehrhoff has interest in signing with on July 1st. #Canucks
Curran says no issues with Ehroff from his 1st stint in VAN - clearly states the #Canucks would be in the mix if they called July 1st.

The truth is that I'd rather keep Hammer if possible as well but that would require moving Bieksa, Higgins and Miller for potentially little salary return to free up the cap space. That would allow Ehrhoff to play the RH side and make us a deeper team.

Weber/Corrado-Clendening

Moving those three vets, (Bieksa, Miller, Higgins) along with some other pieces like Corrado/Weber, could allow us to add up front as well as picks.

Lots of potential but it's up to the management to see what dance partners there may be out there. Need some waiving of NTCs first.

And yet, time after time, people want to trade Miller.

Miller is the least of all Canucks' concerns.

Weber/Corrado-Clendening

Was just going to post that I'd prefer this ^ D-lineup over your first attempt ;)

Personally, I retain Stanton though and move one of Weber/Clendening.

I still say it only makes sense with Ehrhoff signing for ~3m for max three years though. Not sure he'd do that but maybe he like living in Van and would like to see if he could rekindle even some of the magic he had with Edler and the twins.

Go look at how much he signed for last year... he could have gotten several times that amount with a longer term.

He clearly has other priorities at this point now that he has gotten that one big contract every player hopes to get in their career. I am not saying he wants to come to Vancouver, but I it seems lat this point in his career he is more likely to be concerned about a shot at winning, quality of life, and getting to play a meaningful role on a team.

Of course we wouldn't sign him to a full market value contract, but being open to him signing here is definitely worth considering. The 2-3 year maximum term it would take gives us some coverage until some younger guys we draft and/or acquire can step up.

Also recall that his agent said that the Canucks reached out last year to kick the tires.

He doesn't have to be the Erhoff of a few years ago to make us better than having Weber.

Jesus, only 3 goals and 11 assists in an injury-shortened season. His worst season in 10 years. So much for Pittsburgh improving his performance, looks like we had him during his peak.

I mean Bieksa wasn't looking good last season having to carry Sbisa around, but even he looked better than Christian last season.

But rebuilds are rebuilds. Should be interesting to see what stop-gaps we cycle through. But to think the glory years are returning by signing this guy is asinine.

Archived