The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Ehrhoff moving on from Pittsburgh

Yesterday's sweetheart is standing(teary-eyed) at your front steps. She'd run off with a nouveau riche, sugar daddy, after your first sports car had difficulties.

You're still bitter; yet she says she misses the ol'days..Good Lord, is that a tattoo?!

Should you let her in?

That situation is a little more personal. This is a business.

CDC, I guess nothing should surprise me.

"We're too old, dump the core!"

"Let our players develop properly!"

"We need our young players now!"

"Dump Bieksa!"

"Sign Hoff!"

I'm getting a headache.

If this is giving you headache then I highly recommend this for you to get through this off-season

155972_TYL_ESezTabs_100s_EN_3D_0.jpg

Benning just stated that the Canucks currently have 9 NHL caliber defenseman, including Corrado and Clendening. So unless he makes a trade, which is likely, Ehrhoff is redundant.

We can have 8 d-men on the roster meaning at LEAST one of those guys is on the move. When Benning stated we need 11 NHL capable d men that mean 8 on the Canucks and 3 in Utica and able to pass waivers.

Pedan's arguably one of those 3. Who else?

We can have 8 d-men on the roster meaning at LEAST one of those guys is on the move. When Benning stated we need 11 NHL capable d men that mean 8 on the Canucks and 3 in Utica and able to pass waivers.

Pedan's arguably one of those 3. Who else?

Yeah, if we're at 9 that means he wants two more. High likelihood that at least one is moved (Corrado/Stanton?) and I'd agree that Pedan is one of the non-waivers farmhands to be considered ready. Perhaps they're anticipating that one or two of Hutton, Sautner, or even Cederholm may be the others? Or at least, projected to be close to there by the half-season mark or so, when injuries usually start piling up.

Wouldn't discount the possibility of another trade to bring in a young one as well, as mgmt has reportedly been scouring the AHL looking for more in that age/readiness group.

I don't know if Sbisa will be ready for 2nd pairing next year but I'm hopeful that Sbisa/Tanev will be our 2nd pair at least the year after.

Frankly I hope we move Bieksa (as much as I love the guy) and sign McQuaid.

Edler, Ehrhoff

Hamhuis, Tanev

Sbisa, McQuaid

Stanton, Clendening

I like those pairings.

Wouldn't discount the possibility of another trade to bring in a young one as well, as mgmt has reportedly been scouring the AHL looking for more in that age/readiness group.

That would make sense. We need a couple guys who can play the majority of the year in Utica but are NHL ready enough to play on the Canucks while also not being waiver risks.

Utica's D core may very well see a LOT of change as well this summer in that case. They're already going to be getting Hutton, Subban, possibly Cederholm etc and presumably another ~2 guys as you describe above. That's a LOT of changeover and likely spells the end in Utica for most of the vets.

I wonder if Huskins will retire and maybe take a post as an assistant coach down there?

That would make sense. We need a couple guys who can play the majority of the year in Utica but are NHL ready enough to play on the Canucks while also not being waiver risks.

Utica's D core may very well see a LOT of change as well this summer in that case. They're already going to be getting Hutton, Subban, possibly Cederholm etc and presumably another ~2 guys as you describe above. That's a LOT of changeover and likely spells the end in Utica for most of the vets.

I wonder if Huskins will retire and maybe take a post as an assistant coach down there?

If we're talking Kelowna Rockets genius Huskins nothing would make me happier than to see him in Utica

I don't see the problem in throwing him a bone. He is something what our team needs. And it's not like he is taking up a roster spot of a promising young stud.

And to people saying he won't bring us a Stanley Cup, well you could bring Sidney Crosby on the team and we still probably won't win the Stanley Cup in the next 2 years.

If anything, he'll be similar to Ryan Miller. A stop gap to keep the team competitive while not having to rely on youngsters to carry the team and stunting their development. And it's not like Ehrhoff will be logging 25+ mins a game anymore, I hope not anyway.

I don't see the problem in throwing him a bone. He is something what our team needs. And it's not like he is taking up a roster spot of a promising young stud.

And to people saying he won't bring us a Stanley Cup, well you could bring Sidney Crosby on the team and we still probably won't win the Stanley Cup in the next 2 years.

If anything, he'll be similar to Ryan Miller. A stop gap to keep the team competitive while not having to rely on youngsters to carry the team and stunting their development. And it's not like Ehrhoff will be logging 25+ mins a game anymore, I hope not anyway.

Precisely.

Don't want him. He bolted and got paid so good for him but how bad can you be if the Sabres pay you to go away

Sabres had one goal and that was to tank. The buyout did not have anything to do with his abilities but more so the cap penalty they will face if Ehrhoff decided to retire early.

Archived