The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) do we have our potential 1st line and just dont know it?

Scorvat

Virtanen Horvat Kassian

I think some ppl are crazy to think Horvats max is 2nd line. He imho is our future 1C. With him virtanen and kassian we have a group of players that can score defend, and best of all. Stick up for rhemselves and their team-mates. I love the potential of this line.

Do you think they can be out 1st line in 2-4 years?

I think I'd like to, you know, actually see them play together first before passing judgement. But yeah, I would like to see them play together.

Agreed. Can't just mash talent with talent. But there's no harm in wondering what they might do as a line..

Kassian and Virtanen are both right-shot RW's.

I know people think that doesn't matter, but it does. Both will be RW's in the NHL. So no, this is not a potential top line. At least not a permanent one. It could be assembled at some point to make one monster line when needed. In the playoffs? But then again Kassian, where is he? Missing for the playoffs.

I would be surprised to see Virtanen and Kassian on the same line. They are both power forwards.

that can score.

Horvat. Speed, scoring touch, playmaking ability, physical, great defender

Virtanen. Speed, sniper, physical, playmaking ability

Kassian. Physical, scoring touch

Kassian may be the odd one out with not so much spped but right now i dont see a better fit at RW to go with virtanen and horvat.

Kassian and Virtanen are both right-shot RW's.

I know people think that doesn't matter, but it does. Both will be RW's in the NHL. So no, this is not a potential top line. At least not a permanent one. It could be assembled at some point to make one monster line when needed. In the playoffs? But then again Kassian, where is he? Missing for the playoffs.

Virtanen plays LW

Virtanen could be a fit on either wing. He's a finisher but he's also a punishing forechecker.

I like Baertschi Horvat Virtanen together.

This line has speed from all players, playmaking from Baertschi and finish from Virtanen. It's physical but also has finesse.

If you bring 3 guys together who have complimentary skill sets, I think you have a better line.

Kassian is a power forward but he is also a playmaker. He should be paired up with a finisher like Shinkaruk. I like a future top 6 as something like:

Shinkaruk McCann Kassian

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

The other thing is that a big physical guy can create space for smaller skill guys like Shinkaruk and Baertschi.

Virtanen could be a fit on either wing. He's a finisher but he's also a punishing forechecker.

I like Baertschi Horvat Virtanen together.

This line has speed from all players, playmaking from Baertschi and finish from Virtanen. It's physical but also has finesse.

If you bring 3 guys together who have complimentary skill sets, I think you have a better line.

Kassian is a power forward but he is also a playmaker. He should be paired up with a finisher like Shinkaruk. I like a future top 6 as something like:

Shinkaruk McCann Kassian

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

The other thing is that a big physical guy can create space for smaller skill guys like Shinkaruk and Baertschi.

I like those lines. But would prefer jake on LW

Virtanen Horvat Kassian

I think some ppl are crazy to think Horvats max is 2nd line. He imho is our future 1C. With him virtanen and kassian we have a group of players that can score defend, and best of all. Stick up for rhemselves and their team-mates. I love the potential of this line.

Do you think they can be out 1st line in 2-4 years?

They're some of our top prospects, so yes. (although Kass is further along than the others) I think we'll also see Cassels and Shink in the mix as well.

friend of mine knows zach a little and shes says the canucks arent happy with him. i dont believe her but its food for thought

I keep hearing this, but it makes no sense to me.

The Canucks are one of the easiest teams in the league to play against, yet we keep seeing people wanting to get rid of what little sandpaper we have. (Not saying you, billabong. Just general consensus)

Kass, Bieksa, Sbisa....I suppose it would be okay, if the return were players who add toughness, but that's easier said than done.

everyone forgets the defensive side of the game...i don't know about virtanen but kassian is not very good defesively...willie like to have at least 2 good defensive forwards on a line...thus he played higgins on a scoring line to help keep the puck out of our own goal...vrbata and bonino were not too bad defensively, but kassian on a line with the sedins puts that line with 3 poor defensive players...burrows is good defensively. perhaps, 3 or 4 years down the road some group will subplant the sedins offensive numbers...kind of like when the sedins were playing second fiddle to the wce line...

I keep hearing this, but it makes no sense to me.

The Canucks are one of the easiest teams in the league to play against, yet we keep seeing people wanting to get rid of what little sandpaper we have. (Not saying you, billabong. Just general consensus)

Kass, Bieksa, Sbisa....I suppose it would be okay, if the return were players who add toughness, but that's easier said than done.

My observation is that the Canucks, Willie, want sandpaper in the form of guys who check like demons. Who get up ice and hunt D men. Like having line backers who can rush the quarterback.

Zack prefers to zone up.

He brings other things to the table. But that lack of willingness to adapt to how everyone is asked to play sorta stands out.

Archived