The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Malkin Open To Trade

But I'm pretty sure at the end of the season, Malkin had an interview and he said he wanted to remain a Penguin forever?

Right on Mate

Penguins' Malkin wants to stay in Pittsburgh despite disappointing year

PITTSBURGH — The Associated Press

Published

Sunday, Apr. 26, 2015 8:39PM EDT

Last updated

Sunday, Apr. 26, 2015 8:43PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin does not plan to leave the team that drafted him.

After nine seasons in Pittsburgh with one Stanley Cup, Malkin said he continues to believe his best chance to win a second championship remains with the Penguins. Pittsburgh has not reached the Stanley Cup Final since winning it all in 2009. The Penguins have been a fixture in the playoffs every year of Malkin’s career, but now head into a long off-season after getting knocked off by the New York Rangers in five games last Friday

Despite the lopsided outcome, Malkin pointed to the competitiveness of the series – all five games were decided by a goal – as proof Pittsburgh is not far off.

“It’s a good group,” Malkin said Sunday as players packed up for the summer. “We stay together all throughout the playoffs. They’re good guys. We lost three good defencemen. It was a tough season for us. I had a couple injuries, but it’s tough to say right now. We have a good team, but we played against the best team in the league.”

The Penguins faced the Rangers without injured defencemen Kris Letang, Christian Ehrhoff and Derrick Pouliot. Malkin, who missed time in the final month of the season with an unspecified injury, thought that played a role in Pittsburgh’s postseason struggles. Malkin didn’t record a goal in his 15 games or a point in his final 10.

With a healthy line-up, Malkin thinks the Penguins remain a Stanley Cup contender. As long as that’s the case, he has no desire to look elsewhere for work.

“I’d like to stay here,” he said. “I have a house here. My parents love to stay here. We won one time, a Stanley Cup. Me and [sidney Crosby], and [Marc-André Fleury]. I believe we can do it again.”

Malkin played impressively in his first season under coach Mike Johnston before injuries hit. While he tied Sidney Crosby for the team lead with 28 goals, his last one came against Anaheim on March 6. Malkin stuck up for Johnston, who was hired last summer after the Penguins fired Dan Bylsma.

“It’s tough for [Johnston]. It was his first year,” Malkin said. “I think he’s nervous. But I like that he always stays positive. If we have a problem at the end of the season … He stays positive. He supports the guys. We practice hard. We work hard. We always stay positive.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/malkin-wants-to-stay-in-pittsburgh-despite-disappointing-season/article24131966/

Sportsnet's Elliote Friedman " has heard '' " from people around the league" that Evgeni Malkin is unhappy in Pittsburgh and may welcome a change of scenery :lol:

@above discussion... To be fair that's the professional response. As long as you're on a team, you should show no signs of wanting to leave in interviews. It would just hurt your stock.

We don't have the assets to make the trade, but imagine if Edmonton landed him.

Nuge + Eberle for Malkin, use the 16th overall + 31st to acquire legit players to win now. Core of Malkin, McDavid, Hall, Yakupov and Draistal...

I doubt he'd want to be stuck behind another Crosby. :lol:

@above discussion... To be fair that's the professional response. As long as you're on a team, you should show no signs of wanting to leave in interviews. It would just hurt your stock.

To be fair some reporters have to dribble crap that has no actual credible source.

Man that would suck to have him...in ppg totals he's almost the same as the Sedins are combined. :(

We'd be stupid to have a guy that's 1.2 ppg career-wise. They grow on trees and surely we have 6-7 prospects we are currently developing in the middle of their 5-8 year development plans that will clearly be much better.

Man that would suck to have him...in ppg totals he's almost the same as the Sedins are combined. :(

We'd be stupid to have a guy that's 1.2 ppg career-wise. They grow on trees and surely we have 6-7 prospects we are currently developing in the middle of their 5-8 year development plans that will clearly be much better.

I hear you. It's just too bad we have too many assets to use to acquire a player like Malkin.

lol we don't have a single guy on our team that's above a ppg career-wise, why would we be stupid to have one?

They certainly do not grow on trees

I really hope you're being sarcastic...

No Asset we have could probably make this happen.

Maybe something like..

To TBL: Evgeni Malkin

To PIT: Valterri Filpulla, Jonathan Drouin, TBL 1st 2015 and Anthony Deangelo

The Lightning are like THE ONLY team in the league that doesn't need Malkin. You literally couldn't have come up with a worse trading partner. They already have two bonafide center men. Plus they're gonna be in cap hell in a few seasons.

Yeah 9.5 million until he's what? 36-37 years old? I'd definitely like to have him, but the one piece Pittsburgh will want is Horvat and that's the one piece I wouldn't give. Plus they'd have to eat at least a third of his salary while taking on a cap dump from us.

Archived