The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What exactly did Mark Messier do to this team?

canucktican

He was supposed to be the final piece that would bring us a cup.

Worst free agent signing by Quinn.

On the plus side I heard that Keenan tried to intimidate Bure, where Bure's response was "Go ---- yourself."

Bure had more character than Messier did.

He was supposed to be the final piece that would bring us a cup.

Worst free agent signing by Quinn.

On the plus side I heard that Keenan tried to intimidate Bure, where Bure's response was "Go ---- yourself."

Bure had more character than Messier did.

To be fair to Quinn, he had no idea Messier would be such a ____________.

Signed with the team.

Brought Maki's number back into circulation.

Kicked Linden out of town.

Brought in Mike Keenan (Torts x2)

Wore that stupid little helmet

There's probably more but that's enough to earn our disdain on its own.

Beat us in 1994

Was absolutely useless while he was here and then became useful again as soon as he left

Made bad chip commercials

Made worse ski-doo commericals

Made even worse Rogers commercials

Was bald

Is a homer for one of our old rivals

Sued the Canucks

Wore that stupid little helmet

There's probably more but that's enough to earn our disdain on its own.

Disagree regarding the helmet. Trevor and Tiger Williams also wore the old Cooper/WinWells. Loved those old helmets and the other old varieties. You knew who was who besides the jersey number.

Nevertheless, Messier was the worst captain to ever wear a Canucks jersey. Wait a sec....he never wore a true Canucks jersey, ie. the Skate, Stick in Rink. He only wore the Orca Bay one.

He was responsible for the darkest era in canucks history. It's best not to remember or talk about those dark times.

fyi The team was on a downtrend before Messier arrived and had missed the playoffs the season prior. Injuries to Bure and Linden were difficult to get over and the best center on the team was an aging Mike Ridley. The team became loaded with one-dimensional wingers, the defense became slower and more expensive. Pat Quinn left coaching behind, because he knew the team was going through a transition phase. Bure was on the trading block. McLean's numbers ballooned and he had lost starts to a mediocre Corey Hirsh. The team was in financial trouble and had to go to McCaw, who was far from a hockey fan.

If anything, Messier was brought on as either a last ditch effort at getting something from their current team, or he was a distraction/scapegoat for the inevitable rebuilding phase to come. To think that he was some last piece for a cup effort? I don't think anyone honestly believed that.

If there is any bright spot about Messier's terrible play as a Canuck its that he was left off the 1998 Nagano Olympic Roster. Got what he deserved there, as Trevor Linden was on that roster. That always makes me feel better.

I'm with some of the others here who can't be a fan of Messier because of what he did to Linden. Hitting him after he was already hurt in game six was cowardly and for me will just never be forgiven. It showed the type of player and leader Messier was.

So Mark Messier was here from 1997 - 2000. OMG, biggest nightmare in Canuck history. You can read many of the other comments because they say it all. I remember March 22, 1998 Sarah McLachlan won big at Juno Awards. How do I know that - well we attended that event. Who else was there besides a lot of other Canadian Talent - well the infamous Mark Messier. And he was signing big time. . . He is the last person I would ever ask for a signature and I had the opportunity not just once, but twice. WOW, I am not sure that I ever despised a hockey player as much as him. Don't you remember when he was interviewed after games and how he described "how well" we did each night even though we sucked big time and lost almost every game we played.

I'm with some of the others here who can't be a fan of Messier because of what he did to Linden. Hitting him after he was already hurt in game six was cowardly and for me will just never be forgiven. It showed the type of player and leader Messier was.

Win at any cost. Isn't that what people want from their team, though?

Those were the dark years...I don't like to talk about them much at all....tbh...

Mark Messier: The most hated Vancouver Canuck of all-time?

December 13, 2012. 2:42 pm • Section: Hockey

<span st_url="http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12/13/mark-messier-the-most-hated-vancouver-canuck-of-all-time/"st_title="Mark Messier: The most hated Vancouver Canuck of all-time?" class="st_twitter_hcount" displaytext="Twitter" st_via="theprovince" "="" style="border: 0px; margin: 0px 7px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; float: left; display: inline;">
722826631.jpg
While the rest of the hockey world idolizes him, Canuck fans may have a different opinion of Mark Messier. (Getty Images)

To virtually everyone else, he’s one of the greatest hockey players of all-time. To Canuck fans, he’s the guy who tore the heart and soul out of an entire NHL franchise.

On Wednesday, Mark Messier — along with Paul Henderson and Dave King — was named to the Order of Hockey in Canada and will be honoured by Hockey Canada at a ceremony in Ottawa during the 2013 IIHF women’s world hockey championship in April.

Everyone knows the story. Messier is considered to be one of the greatest leaders in NHL history and was a crucial part of the Edmonton Oilers’ five Stanley Cup victories in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988 and 1990 as well as another championship with the New York Rangers in 1994 — but let’s not talk about that.

Thanks to Mike Keenan, chairman of the Messier fan club, the 36-year-old signed as a free agent with the Canucks on July 28, 1997 and almost immediately started to leave fans with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Not only did Messier — and to be fair, Keenan — strip quintessential Canuck Trevor Linden of his captaincy, he also demanded to keep the No. 11 from his days with the Oilers and Rangers even though it was unofficially retired by the team in honour of Wayne Maki who died of brain cancer in 1974.

If his off-ice demeanour wasn’t bad enough, his overall plus-minus rating of -37 as a Canuck was laughable and his offensive output was barely average based on a ridiculous five-year contract that paid him $6-million a year in Vancouver.

When Messier was finally bought out by the Canucks in 2000 and proceeded to play out the rest of his career with the Rangers, people thought the gruelling saga of the bald-headed bandit was over.

Not so fast.

In August, the Canucks were forced to pay him a $6-million settlement after a New York-based arbitrator concluded Messier’s grievance over money owed by the team was valid.

Here’s a player who has disgraced the Canucks on almost every level. He has no respect for the history of the team and doesn’t seem to care about its future either. He’s shown time and time again that the only reason he ended up in Vancouver in the first place was because of a hefty paycheck.

Yet here we are at the Order of Hockey in Canada.

Let’s not even get into the validity of the award itself here but I’m assuming that it has something to do with being an upstanding Canadian hockey player and by all accounts Messier proved himself as a legend in Edmonton but you know what city is also in Canada?

Vancouver.

If the Order of Hockey in Canada wants to do things right then they need the full picture and that includes his time with the Canucks which, if included, would expose him as someone whose personal interests trump his passion for the game.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12/13/mark-messier-the-most-hated-vancouver-canuck-of-all-time/

While Messier was in Vancouver he managed to do something that no other person has ever done before or since: he made me not care about the Canucks at all. Remember, too, that Mike Keenan was turning the roster over every other week and it was pre-Westcoast Express days. Pat Quinn was done in Vancouver, Pavel Bure was disgruntled and Arthur Griffiths was being squeezed out by John McCaw. Messier came to represent everything that was wrong about the Canucks. Dark, dark days indeed.

mark messier put this team on the map and made it a respectable hockey club with his leadership, maturity and selflessness. I heard he gave trevor linden the last of his doritos as he was getting on the plane. that's how he scored that deal with lays, and remains as the most interesting man of all time

He did enough that I have removed all mention and pictures of him from all Canuck related coffee table books, On the other hand out of the darkness came Markus Naslund. We have Mike Keenan to thank for developing him. That is the only nice thing I will say about Keenan.

Archived