The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Miller won't be moved & looking for a 2nd rounder or hockey trade for Lack/Markstrom

Agree completely. Also, people were saying the same thing about Schneider, look at him now. Putting up spectacular numbers as a #1 on a dog's breakfast New Jersey team.

Schneider to Lack is like apples to oranges..........bad post

I get that Benning wants to keep the team competitive to do his retool. But, I think this fan base is knowledgable and was ready for a couple of down years. I for one was going to buy seasons tickets if the team showed the focus of changing the core to youth. Unfortunately when they signed Miller to try to make the playoffs I was turned off and decided to let the season play out watching the games on TV. I thought that Benning assembled a bubble team that may or may not make the playoffs. They surpassed my expectations on the season, but performed the way I expected in the post season. To try and sell the fans that any team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win the cup is crap. I'm not willing to support a bubble team year after year. Try the Detroit model? Our team would have to show a better drafting record then they have done over the last few decades. Detroit has drafted and developed well and is currently a good team but not in that elite group of cup contenders.

I would have played last season with Lack and signed Hiller.

Now we are stuck with Miller!

Benning was hired to come here and win...end of story...I don't think the management are planning any down years...Selling the public young players and losing is extremely bad for business...These down years will most likely come regardless,but not by design...

Miller has a higher pedigree than Hiller (who missed whole portions of last season suffering from vertigo,or whatever it was),and Benning wasn't sold on Lack....Hiller and the Flames overachieved this season..IMO.

I agree. He is a personality. He is tough to hate while it seemed like Lou was easy to hate by a select few

Eddie was one of the ones who volunteered at the hockey station at the Canucks Autism Network sports day. He was like a big kid out there ....the kids absolutely loved him.

Nope there is no way Lack would have handled a 60+ game season as well as he did for 40. Markstrom would have cost us a couple of game that Miller/Lack got us a W in.

There is no way you can convince me that a Lack/Markstrom duo would have gotten us anywhere near a playoff spot. We would most likely be picking in the top 10

Yeah that would really suck. Instead we got to watch 6 playoff games and a loss to Calgary. Hopefully that 23rd pick turns out for us because that magical playoff run sure didn't.

Yeah that would really suck. Instead we got to watch 6 playoff games and a loss to Calgary. Hopefully that 23rd pick turns out for us because that magical playoff run sure didn't.

We arent trying to tank. That isnt the route management is going. So people chronically nagging about it and being pessimistic about a good season are doing nothing but spreading negativity around.

GMJB was thrown into the fire last year. Miller was his security blanked.

The guy is just human, he may have made a mistake. I just hate how everyone cries about it in every possible thread possible.

We get it.

Benning wanted to help create a winning environment in order to develop our young players properly. That was a big reason why he went out and signed Miller.

Would Horvat have had the great season he had if we never had a winning environment for him to thrive in?

Developing our young players in a winning environment. That's been the motto since day one. Get use to it.

CDCers are getting a little bit too extreme with their opinions. Miller is fine. Lack is fine. Fine doesn't win cups, fine might win a series or two... but our team in general is nowhere near being contenders, so what's the worry?

It's a slow process guys, I'm just excited to see some fresh faces on the ice next year (via trades, free agency, and most importantly, our own homegrown draft picks). I'm personally more in favour of trying to move Miller and keep Eddie, but it doesn't really matter. It's just an unfounded personal opinion based on myself being a goaltender growing up and never really caring much for Ryan Miller's style (even when he was considered one of the league's finest). He impressed me early in the season and I grew to appreciate elements of his game, but he's no Lou or Schneids obviously. I can see pros and cons for both our goaltenders going into next year, and I think everybody on this board knows that neither one are going to be anything more than vague memories for this organization in 5-10 years.

Neither goalie is a star netminder in 2015 (Ryan obviously had some fantastic years and has a Vezina to hang his hat on). Eddie could go on to have a great career (he does look a bit like Rinne on the ice with his stature and stance/style), but he's old enough for us to believe that it's not likely to happen for him. I wish him well wherever he ends up, but Benning is smart enough not to put too much faith in somebody who doesn't show any clear signs of elite upside. Having this big goaltending decision on our hands is, in my estimation, a good thing mainly because it takes all focus and pressure off of the two guys in our system that actually DO have elite upside (one of which is still a kid and should stay far far away from the Van city media hype). The perfect scenario for us is if Markstrom finally decides to put it together in the bigs, takes some games off Miller's hands, and buys Demko some more time to develop without being rushed.

Again, as a goaltender myself I see things in certain goalies that I simply can't articulate/explain, but I know instantly what kind of goalie intimidates opposing players with their style and provides their teammates confidence with their technique. A perfect example is Petr Mrazek, who by all accounts put up very mediocre numbers in juniors despite a brilliant showing at the World Juniors - I watched the kid play for half an hour and said "yep, that's the kind of swagger that a guy like Curtis Joseph built a career around" and now he's dethroned a very good goalie in Jimmy Howard. The only goalie in our system that gives off that kind of energy is Thatcher Demko, and I would not be surprised if, regardless of his numbers in College, the AHL, or otherwise, he claims the position in our crease and never lets go. If not, we'll fill the gap elsewhere... no biggie.

(Edit: also wanted to mention that, prior to signing Miller I was secretly crossing my fingers we'd make a move for Cam Ward on the cheap. I know he's been on the decline and Miller actually played better the season before, but Ward simply has that same energy I was referring to earlier. You can't quantify something like that. You can't look at a stat sheet and make a decision like that. Goaltending is all about feel, and Cam Ward would have been a better mentor in my estimation... but that's just one goalie's opinion)

What are you a lawyer? That is some detailed information there. Miller played 40 games last year for a new team with a new system under a new goalie coach. I hardly think that is enough to say he is done and needs to move on. Then the man is shunned for getting injured by his own player! I think he is payed fairly for the caliber of goalie he is. Some people need to relax.

Who's making excuses now?

No, Miller's stats don't look good but he did go 29-15. imo he made a good impact on the team. We stabilized our goaltending situation. Markstrom was able to dominate the AHL, Lack was able take a smaller role and work on his game. If we went with a Lack/Markstrom tandem, I doubt we would have made the playoffs. Lack would have been thrown to the wolves again and probably had to play 70 games.

Benning wanted to help create a winning environment in order to develop our young players properly. That was a big reason why he went out and signed Miller.

Would Horvat have had the great season he had if we never had a winning environment for him to thrive in?

Developing our young players in a winning environment. That's been the motto since day one. Get use to it.

It is the right way for a winning team indeed. Edmonton will have to import winners to instill what has been undone in those young men.

In do not wish that state upon anyone.

For some reason I feel like Eddie Lack is the Canucks, he's the heart of the team...

If they move him I just don't know how much i will care about this team anymore... Trading Eddie Lack will have a very very negative effect on the fanbase...

Edit: I know I will catch flack for it but I don't care, it's my opinion...

You obviously didn't follow the Canucks in the Luongo or McLean years.

Lack is 27. The Vancouver Canucks are 45. "Lack is the Canucks" is the ype of stuff that makes no sense.

So you're an Eddie Lack fan. If he's moved, he'll be playing for your new team.

People are slowly turning into that phase where they'll defend the move just to defend it.

90% of people would keep lack if given the choice.

There is no logic behind keeping a goaltender who's eight years older, makes 4x as much money, and performed as a backup.

The only reason Miller is here is because he's not movable, and Benning does not want to go back on his mistake. I would treat it as a win for Benning if he moved him for a 7th, or paid a team a 6th to take him - something along those lines. Unless Miller gives top 10 performance like his contract dictates, it's not worth it.

Marincin is a really good prospect. Problem is he has limited upside, and plays left side which is not of use to us ATM.

He was leading the NHL in shutouts almost had 3 shutouts in a row and was having a strong second half of the season. He showed why he gets paid big dollars.

Again I say, Did Miller crap the bed or something last year? Why is he not worth 5 M? He is ranked 17th in salary next year where Bobby Lu ,who is a couple of years older, is ranked 6th. If Eddy played a little better we would not have had to bring in another goalie. Fact!!!! B)

Signing Miller forces the Canucks to trade a younger cheaper goalie in Lack who has shown a lot of promise. I think there is a chance Eddie could be as good as Miller going forward. The Ducks went with unproven Anderson/Gibson combo and fared pretty well

He was leading the NHL in shutouts almost had 3 shutouts in a row and was having a strong second half of the season. He showed why he gets paid big dollars.

He had shutouts against garbage teams. Didnt have a strong second half to the season. His primary stats werent good in any way, shape or form.

Archived