The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[video] 2015 Draft Preview with JB: "hoping at add at least a 2nd round pick"

TheRussianRocket.

Weber two years ago while most of our guys were still in there prime would have been a great aquisition, too bad we didnt have the prospects to trade for him. Getting him now and having to give up 3 young prospects makes no sense, we are tight against the cap and are not in any way contending for the cup. Add to this that he is coming off a serious knee injury, is 30+... if we were to give up our top 3 prospects, better off to look at someone like Ekmann-Larson, who is younger and a mini-Lidstrom.

Fair enough. How favorable is that contract for Nashville though. In reality it would take more to get Weber but that's a contract that has a cap hit of almost 8 mill per, till he turns 40.

Weber is a top 3-5 defensemen in the league, his cap hit is very fair. He's the face of their franchise and brings in a ton of $$$ just by himself, and by being the biggest single reason the team is as good as it is. They arent looking to trade him. If they did many, many teams would put together packages in a totally different galaxy as yours to acquire him.

[...]

Trade #3

Vrbata + Cassels + 40th OA to Nashville

for

Shea Weber

If JB cant get a pick in the top ten and trade #23 oa for a top 2 dman

If JB cant get 2nd and 3rd picks then players who can be a part of the re-tool/re-build is always an option. Either way Benning needs to turn this roster over and fast

Oh for sure but its a salary cap world now and Webers best years may be behind him. Nashville is a small market team and 30 mill in bonuses ( 13 mill this year ) is a lot. If the Preds were thin on D then this wouldn't be a topic but they have 3 young studs in Jones, Ellis, and Josi to turn to so losing Weber would be palatable if the return was favorable. If I'm Poile I would look at moving him for a young stud center to pair with Forsberg to form a great 1-2 punch down the middle

Poile says that he literally does not know for whom he would trade Weber (or Josi) because they are that good... so Vrbata (who fills in the same role as Neal who is younger and signed at the same cost but for for longer), a 2nd round pick and Cassels (who the Canucks project to be a 3rd liner)...

The Predators have also said multiple times over the last few weeks that they are not looking to make any trades because they feel their team is pretty much where they want it to be - they are trying to lock all their key young players up longer term and are not looking to take on any vets or players that will "block" their prospects from being brought in.

In the Chicago series their D got beat because no one was able to bring Weber's physicality. Jones is the only one that projects to be able to replace that part of Weber's game and he is still ways away from being a 1st pairing option - he is young and his growing pains are very frustrating at times. So no, at this stage Weber's play, hockey sense and mentoring is way too valuable to move.
The other thing: trading Weber could sink the Predators because of the cap recapture. It's an accrued 18.4M penalty already. So don't expect Nashville to ever trade Weber because it already doesn't make sense from a hockey stand point but it makes even less sense if they want to keep their franchise (- unless the CBA gets revisited or a team in the same situation challenges it).

Weber would have been great 3 years ago but unfortunately that ship has sailed. Weber would do this team more harm than good in the long run. At this point we don't need that contract. Not to mention an early retirement penalty if he retires prior to 40 ala luongo.. i think?

Oh for sure but its a salary cap world now and Webers best years may be behind him. Nashville is a small market team and 30 mill in bonuses ( 13 mill this year ) is a lot. If the Preds were thin on D then this wouldn't be a topic but they have 3 young studs in Jones, Ellis, and Josi to turn to so losing Weber would be palatable if the return was favorable. If I'm Poile I would look at moving him for a young stud center to pair with Forsberg to form a great 1-2 punch down the middle

If Weber were available

Carolina offers their 5th. Philli offers their pick. NJ offers their pick. Dallas offers theirs +

Canucks aren't even in the same league as teams that would offer up for Weber

Forsberg doesn't play center he play's RW. Yes NHL.com says he is but their wrong. He's taken 8 faceoffs in 108 NHL games.

In 2-3 years NSH will trade one of there top 3 D to the oilers for RNH. Oilers just need to wait for McDavid and Leon to develop a little bit more.

If there was a way canucks could get a D out of NSH for a reasonable cost I'd be hoping for Ellis. He's young, cost the least and could fill the PMD hole we have.

IF I had my way...

Hamhuis + Bonino + Corrado/Clendening for Ellis + 85th

Than trade Bieska (retain 15%) + Higgins to TO for a 2nd round pick in 2016

Lack + Jensen + 23rd overall to OIler for 16th + 57th + 86th

Sign Franson

Sign Santo (stop gap until Cassels/Vey/McCann can take over)

Sedin Sedin Vbrata

Baert Horvat Kassian

Burrows Santo Virtanen

Hansen 4C Dorsett

Kenins

4C = Richardson/Vey/Cassels

Edler Tanev

Franson Ellis

Sbisa Corrado/Clendening

Miller

Markstrom

OR.....

Pure armchairing here.....

Tanev + Lack + Jensen to Oiler for Yak + 33rd

23rd + Bieska + Clendening to NSH for Ellis + 85th

Higgins to NJ for 41st

Vbrata (retain 50%) for 2016 1st Caps

Sign Franson

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baer Hovart Yak

Burrows Bonino Virtanen

Hansen Cassels Dorsett

Vey

Kenins

Edler Ellis

Hamhuis Franson

Sbisa Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Draft 33rd, 41st, 85th

and 2016 first round

Fair enough. How favorable is that contract for Nashville though. In reality it would take more to get Weber but that's a contract that has a cap hit of almost 8 mill per, till he turns 40.

His value won't go down because of the contract until he is 35. Right now he's still a premier defender in this league on a good cap hit

Weber would have been great 3 years ago but unfortunately that ship has sailed. Weber would do this team more harm than good in the long run. At this point we don't need that contract. Not to mention an early retirement penalty if he retires prior to 40 ala luongo.. i think?

Yes. If for example a team were to acquire Weber this offseason and he were to play through the 2021-22 season then:

-Weber would collect a salary of $62 million over those 7 years, an average of ~$8.857 mill per

-his annual cap hit over those 7 years would be the AAV of his 14 year contract which is ~$7,857,143

-over the 4 seasons 2022-2026 the acquiring team would have a cap advanture recapture of ~$7 million, or about $1.75 million per season for the 4 seasons after Weber retired, while the Preds would also have recapture against their cap for those 4 seasons of about $4.6 mill per season, the ~$18.4 mill difference between Weber's salary+bonus and his cap hit for the first 3 seasons of the contract spread over the 4 remaining seasons

I chose playing through the 2021-22 season as that appeared a likely retirement time. He would be 36 and after that season his salary would drop from $6 mill for 2021-22 to $3 million in 2022-23, then $1 million per for each of the last 3 seasons.

Wilson apparently is opening to moving 9th overall... Sharp for 9th?

sharp ad bickel will go for , Much less than market value. See ladd, buff, campbell, leddy and bolland for clues.

Besides that, San jose needs to get younger, not older

Would assume it's for younger pieces.

Lack

Bonino

2015 1st

Corrado?

LOL i'm dreaming

in terms of value...

lack late 1st/early 2nd rounder

bonino 2nd rounder

corrado 3rd rounder

Would you trade #9 for #23,#30,#45 and #75?

Looking at it that way I would say yes (unless provorov fell)

His value won't go down because of the contract until he is 35. Right now he's still a premier defender in this league on a good cap hit

They are they going to have pay Forsberg and Jones after this year and Rinne is already at 7 mill.

Weber 7.8mill

Rinne 7

Jones ?

Forsberg ?

Josi 4+

Half their cap right there and no top line center?

It is true that this interview and that last two on TSN 1040 are all very similar. But there is a slight evolution. One change I noticed was that Benning mentioned Grenier in the last two interviews as a prospect who has developed a lot and could challenge for a spot on the big team team. But Grenier did not get mentioned here. I suspect that does not mean anything and that Benning just kind of forgot to mention Grenier. But there is an outside chance that it means that Benning has a tentative deal in place involving Grenier.

The other slight change is that it is becoming increasingly clear that Lack is likely to go and Markstrom is likely to stay. And Benning clearly expects to get a second round pick for Lack.

Also, Benning was more clear in this interview about the obvious point that the Canucks will not be signing any high profile free agents due to cap space issues.

I would like to hear a reporter ask how Benning plans to deal with the cap problem. Right now the Canucks are close to the expected cap with only 17 players under contract. Given their continuing contribution to Luongo's contract I don't think that they can fill out a 23 man roster as things stand. Someone needs to go (in addition to Lack). I think the CDC consensus is that Higgins is likely but I think it is actually wide open.

Spot on assessment imo.

Benning is being cagey and non-committal about the goalies. Logic dictates that Lack will be moved due to cap issues in 2016-17. It would be a shame if Lack had to go. He will be a solid if unspectacular starting goaltender but his great attitude and outstanding work ethic should not be ignored. Thise are qualities that Benning covets (ie Dorsett) and may be why Benning still appears to be undecided. The smart business decision will win out imo.

Dealing with cap issues for this upcoming season I expect depends on opportunity and would require him to speculate. Obvuiosly he won't do that.

I suspect that these Kenward interviews are pre-scripted for content.

Archived