The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

18 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

People have to grasp the concept that some of these kids value an education more than an average CDC poster does. 

Well most of these kids already have more education than most CDCers so that's not too surprising :P 

• Upvote 3

Staying in the UND program is the best thing for his career. He's also showing loyalty to the school that has treated him so well and gave him the opportunity (which he ran with) to win the NCAA title. It's close to a no brainer.

I'm happy with all of the qualities he's showing off the ice. He's destined for greatness it seems to me.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

You dont know that benning gifted him a top 6 spot or even with the canucks fir that matter. 

I never said any of that. Boeser will never have a better chance to crack a top 6 spot on our team and he's short-sighted to return to ND.

2 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I never said any of that. Boeser will never have a better chance to crack a top 6 spot on our team and he's short-sighted to return to ND.

Bettering yourself via education isnt short sighted. Short sighted is leaving your education for a 50k ahl salary. There will be lots of chances to crack our top 6. We're one of the worst teams in the league while our 2 best players are mid 30s with expiring contracts.

• Upvote 2

There is a reason he was available so late in the draft.  Talented kid but college kids are getting the same rep as Russians.  Should you waste a pick on them or just try to get them via free agency?  Next CBA needs to close that loophole so we don't see teams losing their draftees to other teams.  I'm concernedthat both Brock & Thatcher are going to take that path.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Oh good, another year of this from half of CDC...:picard:

^ This. Seriously people, just stop with all the panic before we ever have to worry about anything. You'd have thought we'd learned from the Subban situation but clearly not.

Panic for Boeser definitely isn't there yet, because he's still 3 years away from UFA. Demko on the other hand is a little more pressing. If he forgoes signing and goes for a senior year, you should consider moving him instead of risking losing him for nothing.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

There is a reason he was available so late in the draft.  Talented kid but college kids are getting the same rep as Russians.  Should you waste a pick on them or just try to get them via free agency?  Next CBA needs to close that loophole so we don't see teams losing their draftees to other teams.  I'm concernedthat both Brock & Thatcher are going to take that path.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Brock is too good to wait 3 more years to turn pro. He is not at UND for his education, he is there for their fantastic hockey program. Demko is a BU for his education, he is majoring in phycology, maybe when he gets to Vancouver you could have a sit down with him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

Panic for Boeser definitely isn't there yet, because he's still 3 years away from UFA. Demko on the other hand is a little more pressing. If he forgoes signing and goes for a senior year, you should consider moving him instead of risking losing him for nothing.

Panic started when he was drafted, it was just overshadowed by Demko.  Once Demko is resolved it'll be full-on Brock.

30 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Brock is too good to wait 3 more years to turn pro. He is not at UND for his education, he is there for their fantastic hockey program. Demko is a BU for his education, he is majoring in phycology, maybe when he gets to Vancouver you could have a sit down with him

Don't be a dick.  I made a valid point.  Dispute the point.  Is there a risk both get poor advice and wait until free agency to handpicked the team they want to play for in the location they want to live?  Yes there is.  It's the same risk associated with Russians.  You can't be sure either will play for the team that drafted them or go their own way, hence the question I posed and the statement I made about closing the loophole in the next CBA.  

My statement was not panic and doom & gloom.  It's a very real possibility that either or both can be convinced to play else where.  Demko may be convinced to sign in Anaheim, San Jose, LA.  As a free agent he'd be free to do so.  Brock might feel the need to stay close to home.  Minny is a good team.  Maybe he likes the idea of playing for New York, Florida, hell, he could wind up in a storied franchise like Montreal if he wants to.  Who are you to say neither is thinking that controlling their own destiny while completing their college education isn't looking real good?  If I could choose any franchise to play for it wouldn't be one of the worst teams I'm the league.  I'd be checking Chicago, LA, Anaheim & Washington before I'd be checking Vancouver out.  I'd be looking to play with greats like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, before I'd be looking for the Sedins.  There are tons of reasons for them both to choose free agency.  What are the reasons for them to choose Vancouver?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Don't be a dick.  I made a valid point.  Dispute the point.  Is there a risk both get poor advice and wait until free agency to handpicked the team they want to play for in the location they want to live?  Yes there is.  It's the same risk associated with Russians.  You can't be sure either will play for the team that drafted them or go their own way, hence the question I posed and the statement I made about closing the loophole in the next CBA.  

My statement was not panic and doom & gloom.  It's a very real possibility that either or both can be convinced to play else where.  Demko may be convinced to sign in Anaheim, San Jose, LA.  As a free agent he'd be free to do so.  Brock might feel the need to stay close to home.  Minny is a good team.  Maybe he likes the idea of playing for New York, Florida, hell, he could wind up in a storied franchise like Montreal if he wants to.  Who are you to say neither is thinking that controlling their own destiny while completing their college education isn't looking real good?  If I could choose any franchise to play for it wouldn't be one of the worst teams I'm the league.  I'd be checking Chicago, LA, Anaheim & Washington before I'd be checking Vancouver out.  I'd be looking to play with greats like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, before I'd be looking for the Sedins.  There are tons of reasons for them both to choose free agency.  What are the reasons for them to choose Vancouver?

Alf appreciates these posts.  They present other points of view.  JB didn't get the job done signing those two.  Boeser is ready now, and offering him a big money deal like the Wings gave to Larkin was hopefully presented.  If it wasn't than JB messed the bed. 

2 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

That can be said about literally every player.  Every player, if they wanted to, can pretty much choose the team they play for.  Yeah, they have to re-enter the draft at 20, but I doubt that 2nd team has their rights for more than 2 years.

1 minute ago, PLOGUE said:

I wasn't my intension to be a dick, thou it does come across that way, just think you might need someone to talk to. Anyhow you are giving a doom and gloom to the situation by comparing college hockey players to Russians. How many great players coming out of college chose the free agency route? Justin Shultz, how'd that work out. Mike Riley, too early to tell. Jimmy Vesey... Not enough college players who go to school for the hockey program want to wait 4 years just so they can pick where they want to play. Kyle Connor, good example of a kid that played 2 years and signed. He signed with a team that was 2nd last on the list of teams players want to sign with. Joseph LaBatte played out his 4 years and signed with us, some kids have integrity, some don't.

Demko could easily choose Vancouver as he is a west coast kid, maybe the 3 hour plane ride home would be welcomed. Plus we have great goalie coaches and a recent good record of development, and a spot for him in the as backup to Backman with possibility of taking his starting job. Boeser on the other hand has no reason other than he want to take the next step in his development, and would prefer to take the jump straight to the NHL. He was probably told that we have a spot for him in the AHL and he choose to stick with UND as a top line forward, rather than 3/4 line AHL

18 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

You are correct the part where they need to fix the mess with college players and free agency. Either the NHL has to give teams more time to sign players, or college needs to let the player sign without penalizing their scholarships 

1 minute ago, Sedinery33 said:

You are correct the part where they need to fix the mess with college players and free agency. Either the NHL has to give teams more time to sign players, or college needs to let the player sign without penalizing their scholarships 

instead of having until the player graduates university to sign him, the team should merely have to tender a qualifying offer in that time frame to maintain exclusive negotiating rights.