The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Just came across this, thought it was an interesting read. Nice to look back & see how accurate this was, great pick !!

Brock Boeser Isn’t Hiding in the USHL

There is a school of thought that this year's NHL Entry Draft could be the deepest in a decade. That may not be any more evident than when you see the rankings next to Brock Boeser’s name. 27th by Central Scouting, 28th by McKeen’s, couldn’t crack the top-30 list for ISS. These aren’t necessarily bad, but they also don’t tell you how talented the winger form Minnesota is.

In the last few drafts, Boeser would have been picked anywhere from 10-20. This year he is a potential second-round pick, although some feel that he may get drafted higher than his rankings thanks to his incredible performance as the Captain of Team USA at this year’s U-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

While young, Boeser has a big frame and is looking to do some damage as a freshmen at North Dakota next season. With the hiring of head coach Dave Hakstol by the Philadelphia Flyers, North Dakota is in a state of flux and some might see it as a hit to Boeser’s future development.

It won’t hurt his draft stock, but some pressure might be put on him by the team that drafts him to turn to the Seattle Thunderbirds, who own his CHL rights. Like Dylan Larkin last season, Boeser’s draft stock might be taking a hit because of the perceived “lack of competition” he has faced by not playing NCAA or Major Junior hockey yet.

Those concerns should have been tossed out the window the second scouts saw him during best-on-best competitions. Like Mathew Barzal of Team Canada, Boesner dominated the competition at the U-18 this fall with six goals and eight points in only five games. All while playing big minutes and killing penalties.

Boeser is a natural goal scorer,  with his incredible wrist shot being one of his strongest traits. He has a release that is pro level already and an incredible accuracy that finds the open part of the net regardless of his position on the ice. He has the instincts to find the open ice and put himself in position to score when the puck comes to him.

While a pure sniper Boeser isn’t just a scoring winger, he is patient and disciplined when in control of the puck and causes mayhem when working down low in the offensive end. His possession play is very strong and sets him apart from many his age. Poised and patient with an underrated passing game, Boeser is always making his linemates better.

He has a decent sized frame especially as he fills out during college but Boesner has to work on his board play and staying engaged with the play when the puck isn’t on his stick. He loses too many one-on-one battles outside and needs to improve his defensive zone coverage. A good skater, agile and good breakaway speed but he will need to get stronger on his skates, something that should come along with age.

With the way his game is, the risk on Boeser seems lower than some others in the 25-35 range. He has a projectable frame, a high hockey IQ and certain aspects of his game that that are already pro level.

He seems like a perfect complimentary player—an elite second fiddle to a franchise player. He’s been compared to Kyle Okposo because of his shot and the fact that he’s from Minnesota, and that role is rather fitting. He’ll be a great piece as long as the team that picks them has their John Tavares.

Teams like Toronto, Winnipeg or Arizona that have multiple first rounders would be wise to take a long look at Boeser with their second pick, especially if they swing for the fences with a riskier pick earlier in the first round.  “How did Corey Perry fall to #28?” is something that we’ve heard for years, it may not be that crazy to think that one day we will hear the same thing about Brock Boeser.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects/brock-boeser-isnt-hiding-in-the-ushl/

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2016 at 1:09 AM, thejazz97 said:

As much as Konecnys gonna be a beaut, we might have Hull 2.0 here

I like that you would compare him to a legend like Hull but they don't really play the same way. Hull scored most of his goals with the Stamkos/Ovechkin like slap shot. I would compare Boeser's style more in line with someone like Patrick Sharp or a non flashy Tarasenko.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

I like that you would compare him to a legend like Hull but they don't really play the same way. Hull scored most of his goals with the Stamkos/Ovechkin like slap shot. I would compare Boeser's style more in line with someone like Patrick Sharp or a non flashy Tarasenko.

Ya I totally see a Sharp comparison in him. A very "smart" goal scorer. Looks like he can score and get into position to score from just about anywhere on the ice. I think we've struck gold with Brock, and Im so glad he's getting developed at such a good school.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Ya I totally see a Sharp comparison in him. A very "smart" goal scorer. Looks like he can score and get into position to score from just about anywhere on the ice. I think we've struck gold with Brock, and Im so glad he's getting developed at such a good school.

His hands are sick I love his wrist shot it's elite. I think his release is Tarasenko like but he plays more like Sharp. 

Edited by Aleksander Barkov
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

he was his team mate whats he going to say , hes a defensive liability, has to work on foot speed , learn the 200 foot game , work harder in the corners?  lol

What happened to your cute, and furry avatar?  I thought of him as family.  I see Boeser as a top six scoring winger.  To succeed, he will need a playmaking centre.  He and McCann might work well together.

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Oh Alfy.  Ive been on this since draft day.    Benning isn't the savior that you guys think he is.   His pick wont be in the nhl anytime soon , but he will eventually be gifted a position whether he deserves it or not.   Everyone knows my point of view and it will start accumulating points next season in the NHL.   when the canucks needs are now this pick didn't make sense from that aspect alone never mind all the details of the game both players play and the disparity between the 2 on so many levels.

That's nice, but I really want to know what you did to my cousin?  :lol:. I respect your opinion on Boeser.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Oh Alfy.  Ive been on this since draft day.    Benning isn't the savior that you guys think he is.   His pick wont be in the nhl anytime soon , but he will eventually be gifted a position whether he deserves it or not.   Everyone knows my point of view and it will start accumulating points next season in the NHL.   when the canucks needs are now this pick didn't make sense from that aspect alone never mind all the details of the game both players play and the disparity between the 2 on so many levels.

Well that's your opinion, which happens to contradict numerous hockey pundits, panelists, and countless other people with more qualified and informed opinions.