The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will his wrist injury maybe keep him out though?  Too bad Lockwood didn't get selected.  

My understanding is that BB, at this point, is day-to-day.  He could have played his last two games but was held out for 'precautionary' measures.

USA Hockey would be absolutely foolish not to include him on their preliminary roster given that his injury is not that severe at this point. 

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will his wrist injury maybe keep him out though?  Too bad Lockwood didn't get selected.  

Lockwood will likely get his chance next season. Remember it's a 19 years olds tournament and he's just starting to make a name for himself at the NCAA level.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Lockwood will likely get his chance next season. Remember it's a 19 years olds tournament and he's just starting to make a name for himself at the NCAA level.

Unless Lockwood is on the Canucks next season?  We sure could use his skill and Boeser's too.

Just now, Alflives said:

Unless Lockwood is on the Canucks next season?  We sure could use his skill and Boeser's too.

Too soon for him.

Speed and strength will need to be added for him to compete in the NHL. I would like to see him in college for at least 3 seasons. No need to rush him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Too soon for him.

Speed and strength will need to be added for him to compete in the NHL. I would like to see him in college for at least 3 seasons. No need to rush him.

He can go pro and go to Utica too ::D

Just now, J.R. said:

He can go pro and go to Utica too ::D

True.

Michigan is a great program though. They should be taking advantage of him being there for as long as he's continuing to develop. He could be one of those players who's ready to step right in from college if he puts the work in.

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

True.

Michigan is a great program though. They should be taking advantage of him being there for as long as he's continuing to develop. He could be one of those players who's ready to step right in from college if he puts the work in.

Not much point in turning pro at 19 just to play in the AHL. Minor league entry level salaries are peanuts and college is usually a lot more fun, provides the advantage of additional education, and the coaching and development seem to be very good. (And the crowds are bigger, there are a lot more girls at the University of Michigan than in Utica, the tournaments are more meaningful, etc.) And even if you do play with the big team for a while instead of in the minors, unless you are an elite star, you probably won't be ready physically or in terms of maturity. and will sent to the minors.

So, while NCAA players can turn pro at 19 and play in the minors, it does not happen very much. Even next year with Boeser I expect the Canucks will have to tell him that he will be with the big team coming out of camp to make it worthwhile for him to sign with the Canucks and turn pro. Although I admit that by next year (age 20) Boeser will probably have "outgrown" the NCAA and will optimize his development by turning pro. By age 20 or 21 turning pro makes a lot more sense than it does at 19 for college players.

I don't think there is any real chance Lockwood turns pro for next season and I would expect him to stay in college the following year as well (i.e. staying in college for 3 years instead of turning pro after 2 years as we expect for Boeser). Lockwood is smaller and not as far along as Boeser was at this time last year.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, EmilyM said:

The Canucks curse really needs to take a vacation. Another prospect down with injury prior to joining our club.
Thankfully this one sounds like a routinely recoverable injury, but hate to see this kid have to sit and watch hockey when he was having the season of his life.

It's statements like this that honestly make me think that half of the people on CDC never even bother to look at what players are actually doing and just rely on the hype and hearsay. Boeser is literally on pace to have lower #'s in pretty much every statistical category and UND is 6th in their conference and probably won't get anywhere near the Frozen Four this year but I'm willing to bet half the people here will blindly agree that he's "having the season of his life". Can anyone tell me, do they sell those Canuck coloured glasses at the team store at Rogers?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

It's statements like this that honestly make me think that half of the people on CDC never even bother to look at what players are actually doing and just rely on the hype and hearsay. Boeser is literally on pace to have lower #'s in pretty much every statistical category and UND is 6th in their conference and probably won't get anywhere near the Frozen Four this year but I'm willing to bet half the people here will blindly agree that he's "having the season of his life". Can anyone tell me, do they sell those Canuck coloured glasses at the team store at Rogers?

I don't care enough to go check but I'm pretty sure he was scoring at a higher rate than last year before he was injured. 

Now that he's injured it shouldn't be surprising that both his team and his stat lines have suffered. 

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't care enough to go check but I'm pretty sure he was scoring at a higher rate than last year before he was injured. 

Now that he's injured it shouldn't be surprising that both his team and his stat lines have suffered. 

Wrong on both, he had 1 goal in last 8 games prior to the injury and has only missed the last 3 games. Probably should have taken the 45 seconds to go check instead of looking like an uninformed fanboy.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There is no information on when he suffered the actual injury just that he was playing with it for a while.  All we know is that he had I believe 3 points in 8 games leading up to this. That's 4 weekends of hockey, I doubt he tried to play that long with an injury before taking himself out of the lineup. 

40 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

There is no information on when he suffered the actual injury just that he was playing with it for a while.  All we know is that he had I believe 3 points in 8 games leading up to this. That's 4 weekends of hockey, I doubt he tried to play that long with an injury before taking himself out of the lineup. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he was for half that.