The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

20 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It looks like next year the Canucks will set a team record for least Canadian content ever. Among the forwards, the only Canadian who is a lock to make the team is Horvat.

Virtanen could be on the team, but I think he is more likely to be in Utica.

Gaunce could be on the team, maybe as 13th man.

Dorsett will be on the team if he comes back, but his career could be over.

Barring trades, there will be four Canadian D's on the team: Tanev, Guddy, Hutton, and Stecher. No goalies, though. The 2011 Cup Final team was about half Canadian. Next year the percentage will be more like 25%.

From 2011 remember guys like Raymond, Hammer, Bieksa, Torres, Malhotra,Tanner Glass, Aaron Rome, Volpatti and Lapierre (not to mention Burrows and Lu and Hodgson, who had a few games with the team that year.) Pretty heavy attrition among the Canadian players. The only Canadian holdover from 2010-11 is Tanev. And the only other holdovers are the Sedins and Edler. Things change pretty fast in hockey.

I want good hockey players and leaders on the team. Don't remotely care what nationality they are.

Borders and countries are just imaginary lines humans draw on maps. 

As for how fast things change, tell that to the folks on here who still (or even until recently) don't think we're rebuilding :lol:

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So basically you want us to purposely tank next year rather than have a prospect (who so far looks like he belongs in the NHL) develop based on where he likely would learn the most and the fastest? No thanks. If Boeser shows he can play in this league then I think the stupidest thing we could do is hamper his growth by placing him in the minors.

Besides, if next years draft is loaded with studs then it shouldn't matter where we end up. We'll get a good player regardless. No sense in overthinking it.

Playing Boeser next year won't suddenly make us a Playoff team. We likely won't finish any better than we have this year and could possibly do even worse with Miller gone and others regressing. The point was to keep him away from the toxic losing environment and play on a better team and do better individually as an extension of that. Finishing bottom 3 next season isn't directly tied to Boeser being in the NHL or not. He won't suddenly regress because he spends some time in the minors. It will help him learn the pro schedule (playing 70-80 games a season instead of 20-30) as well as give him more time to work on his skating, which could use a little work. So, by keeping him in the AHL next year. he can adjust to the pro schedule, work on his skating and not be a part of the losing environment the Canucks will/should likely have.

Also, just because he plays in the AHL doesn't mean he is stapled there. It's not like we can't bring him up for a couple of stints throughout the season and give him some games and an NHL paycheck. We will still see him, just maybe not for the whole season.

One more thing regarding the draft. I specifically said the top end of the draft was loaded with studs. So no, we won't get the same caliber or player no matter where we finish. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Next years team will be poor, regardless of whether or not Boeser is in the lineup. One player really won't make much of a difference.

So if he's ready for the NHL, play the kid. Let him learn the NHL game.

Rodin, Goldy, Juolevi and a ready to go Virtanen say hi...and that they will be making a positive difference...allowing the Sedins to play 3 rd line minutes all season....which is a positive difference.

We could pull an LA and beat everyone next year, who's to say...we just beat 2 good teams with a hog pog of players that are still sick or recovering.

35 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Playing Boeser next year won't suddenly make us a Playoff team. We likely won't finish any better than we have this year and could possibly do even worse with Miller gone and others regressing. The point was to keep him away from the toxic losing environment and play on a better team and do better individually as an extension of that. Finishing bottom 3 next season isn't directly tied to Boeser being in the NHL or not. He won't suddenly regress because he spends some time in the minors. It will help him learn the pro schedule (playing 70-80 games a season instead of 20-30) as well as give him more time to work on his skating, which could use a little work. So, by keeping him in the AHL next year. he can adjust to the pro schedule, work on his skating and not be a part of the losing environment the Canucks will/should likely have.

Also, just because he plays in the AHL doesn't mean he is stapled there. It's not like we can't bring him up for a couple of stints throughout the season and give him some games and an NHL paycheck. We will still see him, just maybe not for the whole season.

One more thing regarding the draft. I specifically said the top end of the draft was loaded with studs. So no, we won't get the same caliber or player no matter where we finish. 

When did I say that playing Boeser next year would suddenly make us a playoff team? Oh yeah.... I didn't.... I said that if he shows he's ready to play in the NHL, why put him in the minors? If he shows he can play in the NHL, he'll have shown that he doesn't need to adjust to the pro schedule or any of the other things you mentioned because he's already doing it. If Brock needs a year in the AHL then so be it, but if he doesn't need that year then sticking him in the AHL is simply not a good decision in my opinion.

Why hamper a player's development because of fantasies of next year's draft anyway? How about we just stick everyone in the AHL every year so we get continuous high picks and become the next Edmonton. Yay, awesome.... (yeah, please no, I like what we're doing and where this team is going and I'm really glad CDC isn't driving the ship lol)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin, Goldy, Juolevi and a ready to go Virtanen say hi...and that they will be making a positive difference...allowing the Sedins to play 3 rd line minutes all season....which is a positive difference.

We could pull an LA and beat everyone next year, who's to say...we just beat 2 good teams with a hog pog of players that are still sick or recovering.

Rodin is still an unknown.

Goldy has yet to prove anything.

Juolevi won't make the parent club.

Virtanen has yet to fully find his game at the AHL level, let alone at the NHL level.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually with Horvat is a boss. Not because I want to tank but because I think it will be best for his development. 

Same goes for Virtanen. 

Let them develop, dominate and build chemistry in Utica and make a run for a Calder with occasional call ups. 

Play the present youth we have already, vets we still have and a few plugs here in the impending going show and keep the kids away from the tire fire, scrutiny and pressure. 

Pick wherever we pick. 

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

When did I say that playing Boeser next year would suddenly make us a playoff team? Oh yeah.... I didn't.... I said that if he shows he's ready to play in the NHL, why put him in the minors? If he shows he can play in the NHL, he'll have shown that he doesn't need to adjust to the pro schedule or any of the other things you mentioned because he's already doing it. If Brock needs a year in the AHL then so be it, but if he doesn't need that year then sticking him in the AHL is simply not a good decision in my opinion.

Why hamper a player's development because of fantasies of next year's draft anyway? How about we just stick everyone in the AHL every year so we get continuous high picks and become the next Edmonton. Yay, awesome.... (yeah, please no, I like what we're doing and where this team is going and I'm really glad CDC isn't driving the ship lol)

The way you worded your other response made it look like it was either tank or play Boeser, as if they were two separate things and we could only have one or the other.

And I already explained why playing in the AHL wouldn't be that bad for him. He could:

-Avoid the bad season the Canucks will likely have, whether he's on the team or not

-Work on his skating (specifically his acceleration/explosiveness)

-Play a full season as a pro

You said that "If he shows he can play in the NHL, he'll have shown that he doesn't need to adjust to the pro schedule or any of the other things you mentioned because he is already doing it." That is simply wrong. Being able to have a good 10-15 games at the start of the season does not mean anything in terms of schedule. That doesn't mean he'll be able to keep up that level of play by games 50-60, let alone games 70-80. He's only played around 20-30 games for each of the last 2 years, it will be an adjustment for him no matter what, especially when you factor in travel. McCann is an example of this and he had been playing more games than Boeser in the CHL, In addition, just because he's playing in the NHL doesn't mean he's already improved his skating that much. A full year with extra practice time would give him an opportunity to add a whole other gear to him. He could make his skating NHL level this summer, but he could take it to the next level with a full year. He could improve the same way Horvat did in less time since he will have more practice time in the AHL. Playing in the AHL wouldn't hamper his development in any way unless he got lazy himself.

If he sticks in the NHL then great for him, it will show management's confidence in his ability. It's a win-win situation. I would just prefer him not to be a part of the losing personally, that's it.

Who said anything about putting everyone in the AHL for every year? Edmonton's looking pretty good too now that they've brought in proper management. We wouldn't have the same problem as them because our GM is not a lunatic like theirs were before their current regime.

7 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

8.6.14 Ty Alyea passed away in a car crash, and he wore #6 during his time at Burnsville. Boeser and Ty were close. The number could be a nice nod to his old friend, which could make for an interesting story line.

Well that's pretty cool if that's why - I'll learn to love it quickly I'm sure

On 3/25/2017 at 4:02 PM, stawns said:

I still think we'll see him in Utica next season.

I dunno. I'm not convinced that he'll be in Utica next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he were sent down. 

But I think his game is pretty mature (well, based off of the Minny game....don't know about the Winnipeg game, cause didn't see the game). He seems to be good offensively, and has a mature defensive game. Unless I'm mistaken from what I've seen. IF he has a good  training camp, I think he makes the Canucks roster. And let's be honest, it's not like they have a ton of top six players. They need Boeser more than Boeser needs them. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The way you worded your other response made it look like it was either tank or play Boeser, as if they were two separate things and we could only have one or the other.

And I already explained why playing in the AHL wouldn't be that bad for him. He could:

-Avoid the bad season the Canucks will likely have, whether he's on the team or not

-Work on his skating (specifically his acceleration/explosiveness)

-Play a full season as a pro

You said that "If he shows he can play in the NHL, he'll have shown that he doesn't need to adjust to the pro schedule or any of the other things you mentioned because he is already doing it." That is simply wrong. Being able to have a good 10-15 games at the start of the season does not mean anything in terms of schedule. That doesn't mean he'll be able to keep up that level of play by games 50-60, let alone games 70-80. He's only played around 20-30 games for each of the last 2 years, it will be an adjustment for him no matter what, especially when you factor in travel. McCann is an example of this and he had been playing more games than Boeser in the CHL, In addition, just because he's playing in the NHL doesn't mean he's already improved his skating that much. A full year with extra practice time would give him an opportunity to add a whole other gear to him. He could make his skating NHL level this summer, but he could take it to the next level with a full year. He could improve the same way Horvat did in less time since he will have more practice time in the AHL. Playing in the AHL wouldn't hamper his development in any way unless he got lazy himself.

If he sticks in the NHL then great for him, it will show management's confidence in his ability. It's a win-win situation. I would just prefer him not to be a part of the losing personally, that's it.

Who said anything about putting everyone in the AHL for every year? Edmonton's looking pretty good too now that they've brought in proper management. We wouldn't have the same problem as them because our GM is not a lunatic like theirs were before their current regime.

You make a lot of assumptions about things here. First of all, considering I also had another reply from someone else who clearly understood what I said, you misread my post.

That aside, what you claim that I say to be wrong is merely based on assumptions you are making. You are assuming he won't be able to keep up. Except, there are many exceptions in the league to this (*cough* Horvat). While McCann may not have been, you're using one person as your sample size, who played in a league with smaller kids than Boeser did  no less. So I don't really see how you've proven me wrong at all, especially when you're going to stereotype a rookie into thinking he'll be another McCann when Boeser has more experience playing against men in the NCAA than McCann would have in the CHL. It seems rather short-sighted to stereotype a rookie like that does it not? If you get a bigger sample size before jumping to conclusions it'll save you a lot of ulcers, just saying. ;)

One thing I've noticed with skating is a lot of the change comes from the offseason. Look at how some of our players improve over just one summer (like Horvat or Gaunce or even CoHo when he was here, numerous examples of this being true). While there obviously is improvement over the season too, there is equipment which really helps to improve a player's stride off the ice. This is where they can focus on those specific muscles to get better results and then focus more on their overall game during the season.

And my last statement on keeping everyone in the minors was a figure of speech. Apparently, it went over your head. Oh well.

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...just watch...they all will surprise you.

You make some bold and extremely optimistic proclamations my man.

Out of all those you mentioned I don't see Virtanen or Rodin having an impact. Depending on if Hutton gets moved it might open up a spot for Juolevi.

As it stands there is a ton of average players taking up spots and few new additions will be difference makers.

Goldobin has a chance. Rodin is a 27 year old vagabond total wildcard if he can even stay healthy.

Where does Reid Boucher fit in this? If he avoids Las Vegas claiming him.

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Out of all those you mentioned I don't see Virtanen or Rodin having an impact. Depending on if Hutton gets moved it might open up a spot for Juolevi.

As it stands there is a ton of average players taking up spots and few new additions will be difference makers.

Goldobin has a chance. Rodin is a 27 year old vagabond total wildcard if he can even stay healthy.

Jake will surprise if he has the fitness and stamina to preform with. In many ways Jake's weaknesses are easily correctable with coaching and tons of practice.  

IQ is a different matter, but if he isn't gassed after 30 sec and can have the stamina to skate all night, the rest will fall into place. 

Boeser is a gem and fits a crucial team need. Even if it takes him time, he will be with the big club. This team needs a shooter.  

Rodin is a complete wildcard, that guy has had horrible luck, but is worth another look.  Goldy is close to where Baer was when he came over from the Flames, except his confidence wasn't destroyed by Burke. 

EW

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Rodin is 26 and won't turn 27 until November, he is also the Swedish Elite league MVP from last year and managed that while being injured for the last third of the season!!!

....he is not a wildcard ....he is a highly skilled offensive and defensive player who will be on our top 9 next year....book it.

Goldobin will have the flu for 2-4 more weeks....it is a 6-8 week flu according to my Doctor...I am still getting over it 8 weeks later....he is playing great for the circumstances.

Juolevi looks like a different player in the playoffs...he can elevate his game and I expect him to push for a spot in the fall.

Virtanen just needs to keep his nose the grindstone all summer and practise his shot precision....he seems to be getting it and I expect big things from him soon.

Boucher has a wicked shot...better to have him then Megna or Chaput or Skille....I kinda like Shore so far, he has some upside still.