The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I will admit to being in the camp that thinks his skating was going to put him in AHL but he is proving that in spite of not being a deer out there, he does something really well that most teams want - he scores goals.   I have been following the Canucks closely since the 2011 Cup run and I don't think I have seen a player in a Canuck uniform in that time with his release, his confidence to shoot first and his overall ability to be in the right spot.    He won't win any style points and he won't be noticeable all the time (he may go a few games at times when people wonder if he was even on the ice) but it appears the Canucks have one of those players who will end up on the scoresheet more nights than he doesn't and that is a rare find.   

Preseason is just that but the shots he is taking are above AHL and rival some of the best shots in the game right now....maybe into the same discussion as Winnipeg's sniper (though the latter has wheels and size that Boeser will never have).

16 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

One good game you can kind of pass off.  Two games and you are starting to think he might have something going for him.  If he manages a third game in a row, I'd say "He's kicking the door down".  Even if he has an off game next outing I'd say he's having a strong showing.  The kid showed a lot of class after the Vegas game and said it doesn't matter how things went offensively for him if it didn't help the team win.  He says all of the things a coach wants to hear from his players.  He could have said "I think so far I've made a strong statement to the effect that I should make the starting NHL roster this season" but he didn't, he talked about team goals.  The kid is a class act.  A few more years and I think we'll see an A on his jersey.

To be fair his first game, other than that one GWG shot, was pretty :bored: He played much better yesterday (though it was hard not to stand out in that mess :lol: ).

That said, I'd say it's between him and Rodin (...maybe Vanek) for the final 'top 9/offensive' spot and so far he's in the lead.

Though he's also had an extra game to get warmed up. Rodin deserves the same benefit and some good line mates as well to see what he has in the next couple games before we declare anyone on the team IMO.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I will admit to being in the camp that thinks his skating was going to put him in AHL but he is proving that in spite of not being a deer out there, he does something really well that most teams want - he scores goals.   I have been following the Canucks closely since the 2011 Cup run and I don't think I have seen a player in a Canuck uniform in that time with his release, his confidence to shoot first and his overall ability to be in the right spot.    He won't win any style points and he won't be noticeable all the time (he may go a few games at times when people wonder if he was even on the ice) but it appears the Canucks have one of those players who will end up on the scoresheet more nights than he doesn't and that is a rare find.   

Preseason is just that but the shots he is taking are above AHL and rival some of the best shots in the game right now....maybe into the same discussion as Winnipeg's sniper (though the latter has wheels and size that Boeser will never have).

Boeser's skating has improved over the summer....he blew by that D. for one of his goals ...the top corner roofer.   He may never be as fast as Laine but I think he has more overall hockey sense and may prove to be as prolific and valuable.

Boeser is a "many trick pony"...Laine has speed and a super shot...he is a 2-trick pony...damn good tricks though....

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Though he's also had an extra game to get warmed up. Rodin deserves the same benefit and some good line mates as well to see what he has in the next couple games before we declare anyone on the team IMO.

I agree regarding Rodin.  One mediocre game can't determine a guys year.  I think both of these guys could make an impact in the NHL this season.  As of today, I'd give the advantage to Boeser, but there's a lot of time left for Rodin to change that.  Hopefully he gets some ice time with guys who aren't plugs.  Rodin is old enough to put in the bottom 6 if that's all that's available even if he's more suited to a top six role.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ain't no fairness, Brock was always going to make this team.  Will say it again -- he may never play a single game in the AHL. 

He's not a fancy dangler that's going to fly around the ice being highly noticeable every shift.  He has a high hockey IQ and already has mastery over one thing: how to put the puck in the net.  Door is dangling on one hinge, and once we get to the final pre-season games with NHL rosters we're going to see him stomping it into kindling.

...wish I'd said that...

31 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ain't no fairness, Brock was always going to make this team.  Will say it again -- he may never play a single game in the AHL. 

He's not a fancy dangler that's going to fly around the ice being highly noticeable every shift.  He has a high hockey IQ and already has mastery over one thing: how to put the puck in the net.  Door is dangling on one hinge, and once we get to the final pre-season games with NHL rosters we're going to see him stomping it into kindling.

No Rodin then IMO...

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...wish I'd said that...

I left the "just watch" for you ;)

40 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No Rodin then IMO...

His first game wasn't good, but I'm still expecting him to make the roster.  Unless he simply never recovered from the surgery or is on a long rehab road, I still see him as being a top-9 guy and producer for us this year.

Gaunce is already out, and it's near certain we'll have more injuries by the time the regular season starts, so a couple spots at least are up for grabs.  If it turns out we're largely healthy then like last year with Stecher the first ones down will be the ones without waiver risk until management figures out how to wrangle the roster.

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

His first game wasn't good, but I'm still expecting him to make the roster.  Unless he simply never recovered from the surgery or is on a long rehab road, I still see him as being a top-9 guy and producer for us this year.

Gaunce is already out, and it's near certain we'll have more injuries by the time the regular season starts, so a couple spots at least are up for grabs.  If it turns out we're largely healthy then like last year with Stecher the first ones down will be the ones without waiver risk until management figures out how to wrangle the roster.

Boeser's first game wasn't great either. And with better line mates ;)

Rodin could possibly slot in as 13th (and wait for an injury) but I'd think it preferable to have him actually in the top 9.

Agreed on waivers. That puts Boeser in Utica (to start) IMO.

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin, Horvat, Vanek/Eriksson

Baer, Gagner, Eriksson/Vanek

Burmistrov, Sutter, Dorsett

Gaunce on IR which opens up 13th forward spot. That's not Boeser IMO, he's FAR better off playing big minutes in Utica.

Now Boeser could conceivably earn one of the middle 6 RW spots over Rodin, switching one of Vanek/Eriksson to LW but I don't see how  they're both on the team short of injuries and/or Vanek crapping the bed.

34 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Rodin could possibly slot in as 13th (and wait for an injury) but I'd think it preferable to have him actually in the top 9.

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Gaunce on IR which opens up 13th forward spot. That's not Boeser IMO, he's FAR better off playing big minutes in Utica.

Now Boeser could conceivably earn one of the middle 6 RW spots over Rodin, switching one of Vanek/Eriksson to LW but I don't see how  they're both on the team short of injuries and/or Vanek crapping the bed.

Lemme put it this way -- if projections continue and Rodin has been "just okay" and there's a numbers issue, an injury will be "found".  No team gets through preseason let alone the first 10 games without injuries anyway.

Brock is a jock, and his high stock makes him a lock.  He is one of Benning's prize jewels who was brought in with significant fanfare.  Embrace the influx of readied youth, my friend.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lemme put it this way -- if projections continue and Rodin has been "just okay" and there's a numbers issue, an injury will be "found".  No team gets through preseason let alone the first 10 games without injuries anyway.

Brock is a jock, and his high stock makes him a lock.  He is one of Benning's prize jewels who was brought in with significant fanfare.  Embrace the influx of readied youth, my friend.

If Rodin only looks 'ok' he may very well get waived and Boeser takes his spot. I personally don't think that happens.

Again, barring injuries unless Rodin's 13th, I don't see them both on the opening lineup. If that's the case, Boeser gets papered down until Gaunce gets put on IR.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Man what did Burmistrov do to you, that is just mean putting him on that line.

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If Rodin only looks 'ok' he may very well get waived and Boeser takes his spot. I personally don't think that happens.

Again, barring injuries unless Rodin's 13th, I don't see them both on the opening lineup. If that's the case, Boeser gets papered down until Gaunce gets put on IR.

IMO Boeser looks a whole hell of a lot more NHL ready than Rodin. Rodin could really use some real playing time in the AHL to get back up to speed. The guy has barely played hockey in a year and a half.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

IMO Boeser looks a whole hell of a lot more NHL ready than Rodin. Rodin could really use some real playing time in the AHL to get back up to speed. The guy has barely played hockey in a year and a half.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

To be fair his first game, other than that one GWG shot, was pretty :bored: He played much better yesterday (though it was hard not to stand out in that mess :lol: ).

That said, I'd say it's between him and Rodin (...maybe Vanek) for the final 'top 9/offensive' spot and so far he's in the lead.

Edited by J.R.

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Zepp,

Brock has the sickest flow in the NHL right now, that's some serious style points ;) 

His shot is his bread a butter, but he is over 200 lbs and seems to create space with good bursts of speed. IMO he offers a lot of the same attributes as Laine, who isn't the fastest skater either. 

Its about where they are when the puck finds them. Brock's a gem. 

• Upvote 2