The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

From TSN today ...quote:

One player who seemingly has one locked down is Brock Boeser, who has become an early favourite for the Calder Trophy. Boeser, 20, was the one bright spot in an otherwise abysmal end to last season when he collected four goals in his first nine NHL games after turning pro from the University of North Dakota.

Did they immediately turn that into a "what does this mean for re-signing the kids in Toronto?"

He was "ok" in the game today until he took the puck from his own end and just made it happen.   Hard to understand how some players just have that ability to make that one play each game but nice when that sort of player is on a team that you cheer for.  

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He was "ok" in the game today until he took the puck from his own end and just made it happen.   Hard to understand how some players just have that ability to make that one play each game but nice when that sort of player is on a team that you cheer for.  

I agree he wasn't amazing but that end of the game shot was jaw dropping. It will take another preseason game or two for me to fully see if he ready or not. Seriously though, that shot was jaw dropping. 

Like I said in another thread, He is mentally prepared / you don't "take the shot" in OT unless you think you belong.  His skating is a tad choppy and he looks a bit smaller than his size sometimes but an uncle of mine said that he reminds him of a former LA King Robataille who everyone doubted his ability coz he could not skate like the wind so instead he just went out and scored goals all the way to HOF.   That is clearly a reach but I have been around game a bit and something about this player's knack to score seems hard wired and tough to ignore.   I guess I am saying I would rather have a choppy skater I don't notice much until I look at the scoresheet each night than a flashy elite fast skating guy who gets 8 goals a year and always "shows promise".

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Like I said in another thread, He is mentally prepared / you don't "take the shot" in OT unless you think you belong.  His skating is a tad choppy and he looks a bit smaller than his size sometimes but an uncle of mine said that he reminds him of a former LA King Robataille who everyone doubted his ability coz he could not skate like the wind so instead he just went out and scored goals all the way to HOF.   That is clearly a reach but I have been around game a bit and something about this player's knack to score seems hard wired and tough to ignore.   I guess I am saying I would rather have a choppy skater I don't notice much until I look at the scoresheet each night than a flashy elite fast skating guy who gets 8 goals a year and always "shows promise".

They used to say the same thing about Bret Hull. Calgary shipped him out to St. Louis as they thought the only thing he could do well is shoot and he wouldn't have much of a career with only one skill. I think they may have been wrong.....

Edited by Rick Blight