The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Boggles my mind that people want to trade Brock.  If JB can get a deal he can't refuse (unlikely - as we're simply not that lucky) then ok, I get it.  But otherwise....

CDC for years, "We desperately need a young, legit star who can score and who is a marketing dream."

CDC now, "Let's trade this young, legit star because he's apparently dispensable now and we'll get something else to take his place." 

For the record, sign Tanev and Markstrom - Tofolli can move on if he's not reasonable on $/term.  If Tofolli wants to be part of something special here he has to know he can't be asking for LE money from us sadly, there's just no possibility of that with what will inevitably happen to the cap moving forward. 

Agreed Toffoli is the odd man out imo if the cap is too tight. It's on him to decide what he's willing to do.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

There are several good young D men that would fit a #2 D men in the league under 27..Just a matter of other team looking for a winger to fit there needs..

I can see this type of trade happening trade Boeser unload a 5.7 million dollar contract -- D man coming back similar salary under 27 yrs old..

Use money not signing Tanev to help with several other contracts up in Vancouver this summer...

Sure. Dumba just isn't one of them. It's not the player type we need while already having Hughes (particularly with Rathbone potentially shaping up as a bottom 4 'Makar-light').

I also still think it more likely this potential F for D move comes when Virtanen starts pricing his way out of a 3rd line role and Podkolzin largely replaces his role.

Keep Boeser and Toffoli, let Podkolzin eventually replace Virtanen who we move/package for a D when Podz is ready.

Podkolzin eventually replaces Toffoli as he ages out.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Boggles my mind that people want to trade Brock.  If JB can get a deal he can't refuse (unlikely - as we're simply not that lucky) then ok, I get it.  But otherwise....

CDC for years, "We desperately need a young, legit star who can score and who is a marketing dream."

CDC now, "Let's trade this young, legit star because he's apparently dispensable now and we'll get something else to take his place." 

For the record, sign Tanev and Markstrom - Tofolli can move on if he's not reasonable on $/term.  If Tofolli wants to be part of something special here he has to know he can't be asking for LE money from us sadly, there's just no possibility of that with what will inevitably happen to the cap moving forward. 

#1 D man is Edler 34 years old logging big minutes - How much longer can he keep this pace??

# 2 Dman  is  Hughes 20 yrs old super star skills the real gifted offensive D man Vancouver has never had

#3 Dman is Tanev 30 yrs old -- UFA very injury prone ?????

#4 Dman is Myers 30 yrs old ---

#5 Stetcher  26 UFA

Fantenberg - Benn - Rafferrty - Juolevi - Rathbone - Briesbois - Woo Tryamkin - No Utica player can fill a top 3 D spot --Sorry

If you are happy with this defence for next 2 years we are in trouble?? No way can Edler keep up his amazing skill at 34 only a matter of time...

Same can be said for Tanev...

Fans have to realize that there team has a weakness and it's defence ? I guess some fans value there team and player high..

Can't wait for Virtanen  his value will never bring back a top 2 D man...

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, wildcam said:

#1 D man is Edler 34 years old logging big minutes - How much longer can he keep this pace??

# 2 Dman  is  Hughes 20 yrs old super star skills the real gifted offensive D man Vancouver has never had

#3 Dman is Tanev 30 yrs old -- UFA very injury prone ?????

#4 Dman is Myers 30 yrs old ---

#5 Stetcher  26 UFA

Fantenberg - Benn - Rafferrty - Juolevi - Rathbone - Briesbois - Woo Tryamkin - No Utica player can fill a top 3 D spot --Sorry

If you are happy with this defence for next 2 years we are in trouble?? No way can Edler keep up his amazing skill at 34 only a matter of time...

Same can be said for Tanev...

Fans have to realize that there team has a weakness and it's defence ? I guess some fans value there team and player high..

Can't wait for Virtanen  his value will never bring back a top 2 D man...

...not so sure about that, with a bit of an add you might be surprised at what they could get for Virt. Especially if his contract this summer is team friendly and attractive to other GM's.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, reyezone said:

...not so sure about that, with a bit of an add you might be surprised at what they could get for Virt. Especially if his contract this summer is team friendly and attractive to other GM's.

I think so too. As much as I've been posting that IMO he's eventually likely the odd man out, his speed, shot, size etc tools while being increasingly defensively responsible and putting up 40+ points is worth a fair chunk.

Now he's unlikely to nab us a 'Parayko' level D like Boeser arguably could (+/-) but him on a decent contract, plus say a lesser D prospect... I think that returns a solid #2-#3 D

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think so too. As much as I've been posting that IMO he's eventually likely the odd man out, his speed, shot, size etc tools while being increasingly defensively responsible and putting up 40+ points is worth a fair chunk.

Now he's unlikely to nab us a 'Parayko' level D like Boeser arguably could (+/-) but him on a decent contract, plus say a lesser D prospect... I think that returns a solid #2-#3 D

I want to at least see what Tram can offer on the NHL ice before I flip a quality young winger for a big man on D. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, gurn said:

Such as?

And having identified who you think would fit, would his team be willing to part with him?

I'd rather keep Brock, so it better be a very good return.

Dobson...but I'd keep Boeser and package JV with a high prospect (Rafferty, Brisebois or OJ)....Canucks would be dealing from a position of strength with their pipeline full at RW and young dmen ready to take the next step, and they will be filling a need for years to come.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 2

On May 8, 2020 at 2:11 PM, Fanuck said:

I can't believe the fans that can't see the Canucks weakest position????? Every team need good defence? Can't win without a strong back end this is where everything starts?

1.Edler 34 - 6'3 - Logging big minutes against  so he other teams top lines, over 23 mins - Need to have him playing around 20 mins and protect this valuable asset so he stays healthy..

2.Hughes 20 - 5'10 - No limits, exciting can log big minutes need a younger skilled guy to support him..Quinn super star skills... Logged over 21 mins

3.Myers  31 - 6'8 - Logged over 21 mis against top lines happy with his play... Logged over 21 mins

4.Tanev 30 - 6'2 - UFA - Turns 31 in December very injury prone and body has had damage..Need to move away from Tanev and replace with younger guy to play in top 3 D position.. Logged over 19 mins

5. Stetcher 25 - 5'10 - RFA this summer ? Big decision as Stetcher will want 2.5 - 2.9 million x4 yrs? Rafferty might fill #5 spot at 750,000?

Stetcher lAvg over 16 mins

6. Fantenberg 29 -UFA - Played solid but young prospect could fill making under 1.1 million

7. Benn  33 - 6'2 - last year of his contract should be easy to move if Benning signs Tryamkin - Tryamkin could also fill #5 spot just need to have Tryamkin on a decent contract around 1.7 million show me more deal.. So 2 yrs X 1.7 million

8. Rafferty 25 - 6'2 - (9. Breisebois 23 -6'2 - 10 Juolevi  22 - 6'3 still see bright future injuries have slowed development. still very young 22

11.Tryamkin 26 -6'8 -265 - Could fill # 5 D spot if signed..12. Rathbone - 5'10 -21  -- Lots of skill will be a #4 D man when he decides to turn pro??

13. Woo - 20 - 6'0 - Decent prospect will play next 2 years in Utica, bright future .

None of these prospects are ready to fill #3 D position logging over 20 mins per game?? 

We need a young NHL ready D man we can't wait for Tanev to break? Serious its not a simple fix..

Strongest position is wingers? Miller, Taffoli, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, Ferland, Roussel , MacEwen, Motte -(  Podkolzin 6'1 March 2021 ) Hoglander 2yrs away..

Only If  Benning can sign Taffoli 4 yrs x 4.9 million? Taffoli is solid 200 foot player  30-35 G --PTS 65 playing with Petey

Boeser will bring back the best value back?? We need a top #3 D man under 27 -- It will cost but we need a solid younger D man that can log big mins..

Don't get me wrong its not a simple fix but this is a very important hockey move..I like Boeser but have to trade someone with value to get top end #2 D man under 27 .. Don't say Virtanen his value is not as high..

So many fans say one of the prospects can fill the role? Big no we all value players on our team higher then they are...

Also top #2 D man cap will be around Boesers cap hit of 5.9 million - 

Bright exciting future in Vancouver...

Edited by wildcam

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Dobson...but I'd keep Boeser and package JV with a high prospect (Rafferty, Brisebois or OJ)....Canucks would be dealing from a position of strength with their pipeline full at RW and young dmen ready to take the next step, and they will be filling a need for years to come.

Would do a Virtanen package for Dobson in a heart beat.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well sure - but why would NYI do that? 

They do need more top 6 F depth and have lots of D depth. Virtanen is also more likely to be a bigger contributor now vs Dobson likely needing a couple more years before he's a top 4 staple. Their window is open now and time to make hay?

But it wasn't my proposal :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I like Dobson but he is a few years away from being a #2 D man...Yes I would trade Virtanen for Dobson as you can never have enough great defence prospects..

He is only 20, 6'4 with a very bright future..

Might be package for Dobson and 2nd rounder 2020  and  - 2nd rounder 2021  ---  NYI  -  Virtanen and Demko ?? 

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

It would be one of those boom or bust trades. Dobson easily has the potential to be far better than Virtanen, but he's also not really done anything special at the pro level yet. I would enjoy seeing CDC implode over a trade like that though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

I never understand why Canuck fans think we, as a non playoff/non contending team can package guys that cannot make our team in order to pluck other teams future stars.

Are you still talking about Dobson? 

He was a # 12 pick and he is 6'4" D-man

What value is Rafferty, Brise or OJ to the Isles, if they cannot make the Canucks?

Would you do that deal if you were the Isles? if so why?

for that matter, if you were the Canucks, would you trade away Boeser for Virty+ one of those guys?

I think as Canuck fans, we'd all be happy to trade away Ballard, Raymond and a 2nd, but it didn't happen when we were winning, it has less chance now that we are not.

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, lmm said:

I never understand why Canuck fans think we, as a non playoff/non contending team can package guys that cannot make our team in order to pluck other teams future stars.

Are you still talking about Dobson? 

He was a # 12 pick and he is 6'4" D-man

What value is Rafferty, Brise or OJ to the Isles, if they cannot make the Canucks?

Would you do that deal if you were the Isles? if so why?

for that matter, if you were the Canucks, would you trade away Boeser for Virty+ one of those guys?

I think as Canuck fans, we'd all be happy to trade away Ballard, Raymond and a 2nd, but it didn't happen when we were winning, it has less chance now that we are not.

I don't agree with everything you post here, but I have to say I agree with this. We don't have any "high value" prospects other than perhaps Podkolzin and Hoglander. Juolevi has been injury prone and slowly progessing. Rafferty looks great offensively, but he's also just turned 25 years old, so he's not exactly super young. Guys like Brisebois and Sautner have ceilings as #7 guys IMO. Lind is progressing well, but also fairly slowly.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

They do need more top 6 F depth and have lots of D depth. Virtanen is also more likely to be a bigger contributor now vs Dobson likely needing a couple more years before he's a top 4 staple. Their window is open now and time to make hay?

But it wasn't my proposal :lol:

NYI need wingers under 25??? Eberle 29, Lee 29, Bailey 29 are there top 3 wingers...Bellows 22 and Wahlstrom 20 are a few years away..

Boeser or Virtanen would be a big boost...Dobson D, 6'4, has a very bright future..Good proposal 

Most trade post on here are not realistic but this post was okay.... 

On May 31, 2020 at 2:34 PM, -AJ- said:

I don't agree with everything you post here, but I have to say I agree with this. We don't have any "high value" prospects other than perhaps Podkolzin and Hoglander. Juolevi has been injury prone and slowly progessing. Rafferty looks great offensively, but he's also just turned 25 years old, so he's not exactly super young. Guys like Brisebois and Sautner have ceilings as #7 guys IMO. Lind is progressing well, but also fairly slowly.

I agree some fan make the most ridiculous post adding Utica player to deals or thinking Utica players can step into top 4 D men next season??

Big no Utica player like Rafferty might be ready for # 5 D position if Stetcher was moved? Another bonus is Rafferty makes 750,000...

To get a # 2 D man from another team we would have to trade from depth which is Wingers..

1. Miller 2. Taffoli 3. Boeser 4.Pearson 5. Virtanen 6. Ferland 7. Roussel 8. MacEwen 9. Motte 10. Podkolzin 19 KHL next March 2021

If Benning can sign Taffoli to 4 years X 4.9 million - Taffoli will produce G 28-35 -- PTS 63 -67 playing a complete game with Petey.

This allows Benning to trade another asset like Boeser or Virtanen?

Boeser will bring back the top #2 D man under 27 years old..VIrtanen value is not as high but a lot of GM"S would love a big power forward 6'1, 23, 220 lbs, great skater future 19-24 goal guy 40-48 points..

Don't get me wrong I want to keep both Boeser and Virtanen but we have to be realistic our defence is weak..

Tanev has had hard milage and some serious injuries 31 yrs old in December UFA this summer..

Edler 34, needs to play less to prevent this valuable D man from injuries...Edler needs to avg 19-21 mins...Not 23-25 mins like now...

Needed young solid #2 D man under contract, under 27 years old.... 

Sorry fans Utica D men will not fill this void? Its unfortunate but you have to give up a good player to get the very good #2 D man back..

Edited by wildcam
  • Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Needed young solid #2 D man under contract, under 27 years old.... 

Sorry fans Utica D men will not fill this void? Its unfortunate but you have to give up a good player to get the very good #2 D man back..

To be fair, Pete's original proposal wasn't suggesting a Brisebois, Rafferty etc would get us a young #2 D alone but that they could potentially be packaged with the likes of Virtanen.

Virtanen (the speedy, 40-50 point, physical W'er you noted) would obviously be the main trade chip in that scenario, not the Utica D.

I could see a scenario with something like a Virtanen + Stecher + prospect gets us a decent #2 (or young #3 with potential). Have to find a team looking for something like that though.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, Pete's original proposal wasn't suggesting a Brisebois, Rafferty etc would get us a young #2 D but that they could potentially be packaged with the likes of Virtanen.

Virtanen (the speedy, 40-50 point, physical W'er you noted) would obviously be the main trade chip in that scenario, not the Utica D.

I could see a scenario with something like a Virtanen + Stecher + prospect gets us a decent #2 (or young #3 with potential). Have to find a team looking for something like that though.

Yes like your idea, NYI are a team in need of a winger like Boeser or Virtanen...There are 5 or 6 teams that need some better wingers under 25 and we could possibly be there trading partner.. I think this stuff will happen after the season is officially over which is uncertain... 

Going to be so strange with the draft this year in June?? How can you make a big trade as this season is not over and  playoffs have not started?

Such strange events,  draft will not be exciting as it will be  teams taking there picks..Example can't trade Demko for late 1st rounder?? We need him, playoffs have not started..lol..lol. 

This makes things so difficult for all 31 GM'S... 

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1