The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

Do you not find it just a tad ironic, that you profess the drafting of tiny players high in the draft, while you have an Avatar of Chris Pronger? An oversized monster, who ate up all who came near, especially the little guys. IMO, unless it's a sure thing, drafting smurf sized guys early is only asking for a failure. Again, I point to our own guy - Vey. Granted we only gave up a mid second, but it still hurts, knowing the defencemen available at that spot in the June draft. Virtanen is a sure thing. That's why he was the right choice.

Alf just stop posting. Your trolling attempts are too obvious.

Do you not find it just a tad ironic, that you profess the drafting of tiny players high in the draft, while you have an Avatar of Chris Pronger? An oversized monster, who ate up all who came near, especially the little guys. IMO, unless it's a sure thing, drafting smurf sized guys early is only asking for a failure. Again, I point to our own guy - Vey. Granted we only gave up a mid second, but it still hurts, knowing the defencemen available at that spot in the June draft. Virtanen is a sure thing. That's why he was the right choice.

What does my favorite player have to do with this.

I dont understand what you are even going on about anymore lol

Alf just stop posting. Your trolling attempts are too obvious.

I'm not trolling. If this was a Jet's board, then one could label my posts as such. However, considering this is a Canuck's sponsored board, I would argue that those who are posting negative comments about Canuck's players (that Jake Virtanen was a poor choice, and Ehlers or Nylander were better) are the true trolls. My defending our players, and pointing out the weakness, as I see, in those who some others seem to feel are better, is completely defendable on a Cunuck's board. Ehlers is small, soft, and a perimeter player. Jake is big, fast, and gets involved in the play. I don't see that as trolling. I am in no way trying to antagonize another poster with a personal attacks, or posting something that is not my opinion.

• Upvote 1

What does my favorite player have to do with this.

I dont understand what you are even going on about anymore lol

I happen to think Pronger is a first ballot HOF player too. I respect all he accomplished, and not only appreciated his exceptional play, but I also loved listening to him being interviewed. He was, from my perspective, excellent in all aspects. I do find it ironic that a fan of Pronger would be so on favour of drafting small, soft, perimeter players (high in the draft) like Ehlers. I figured you would want to draft guys, who played with Pronger's hyper compete level with the top picks.

My view is little perimiter players like Ehlers and Zhuinov should be picked in the mid to late rounds. Top picks should be used on guys, who play like Pronger. I see Virtanen as a guy, who plays like Pronger - with both skill and high compete level.

• Upvote 1

Weve established, several times that Vey is not a small player, by any stretch.

I happen to think Pronger is a first ballot HOF player too. I respect all he accomplished, and not only appreciated his exceptional play, but I also loved listening to him being interviewed. He was, from my perspective, excellent in all aspects. I do find it ironic that a fan of Pronger would be so on favour of drafting small, soft, perimeter players (high in the draft) like Ehlers. I figured you would want to draft guys, who played with Pronger's hyper compete level with the top picks.

My view is little perimiter players like Ehlers and Zhuinov should be picked in the mid to late rounds. Top picks should be used on guys, who play like Pronger. I see Virtanen as a guy, who plays like Pronger - with both skill and high compete level.

I didn't say I prefer small players lol i GOOD players, would I draft Ehlers over virtanen? No but that doesn't mean Ehlers is bad... Its not as black and white as u make it out to be.

I didn't say I prefer small players lol i GOOD players, would I draft Ehlers over virtanen? No but that doesn't mean Ehlers is bad... Its not as black and white as u make it out to be.

you're right that smaller players don't equate with inferior play, by any means. That said, after a decade, or so, of soft play by this organization, I think everyone wants to move in another direction. Jake was the right pick, at the right time for the Canucks.

you're right that smaller players don't equate with inferior play, by any means. That said, after a decade, or so, of soft play by this organization, I think everyone wants to move in another direction. Jake was the right pick, at the right time for the Canucks.

At the very least a blend of physical and finesse. There also has to be a response to the direction the NHL is going which is bigger.

Oh of course. I'm happy with the pick for sure.

A. So you don't think Shinks was a good pick.

B. Vey is not a small player and has worked on strengthening all offseason.

C. Virt is not a sure thing. If he pans out as a 3rd liner, most people will see that as a huge disappointment. As a 6th overall draft pick, he needs to have NHL level offence along with his other skills.

Zhuk does not appear to be a 'permiter player' FWIW.

Agreed, and that's been a pleasant surprise. I'll keep my expectations for his NHL aspirations in check for now, but it'd be great to find a gem in Zhukenov based on his style and skill level.

Yeah, from what I've seen, he's pretty tenacious when perusing the puck, despite his size.

Also been very surprised how well he protects the puck for a player of his size. Unlike a guy like Ehlers, was was manhandled repeatedly by larger players during the tourney, Zhuk seemed to hold his own against guys that stood head and shoulders above him, and was actually difficult to knock off the puck when he has possession.

Good sign given where he's at in his current physical development. Once he's fully grown and has added strength, he might very well prove himself deserving of some of those Datsyuk comparisons (in terms of a player who is deceptively strong for his size and notoriously difficult to dispossess of the puck).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Also been very surprised how well he protects the puck for a player of his size. Unlike a guy like Ehlers, was was manhandled repeatedly by larger players during the tourney, Zhuk seemed to hold his own against guys that stood head and shoulders above him, and was actually difficult to knock off the puck when he has possession.

Good sign given where he's at in his current physical development. Once he's fully grown and has added strength, he might very well prove himself deserving of some of those Datsyuk comparisons (in terms of a player who is deceptively strong for his size and notoriously difficult to dispossess of the puck).

He reminded me of the 18 19 year old Sam Bennett in that regard.