The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Maybe I just have too many fond memories of his rookie AHL season.  That stretch of 11 (or was it 9 - can't remember now) when he and Teves weren't scored on and racked up +13 in fewer games.  When he took over the 1st unit PowerPlay after Juolevi's injury and it blossomed.   Those memories.  He was always the first to acknowledge that his vision maybe did impede him, that he had to get better defensively, and that he had to be more physical.

I agree that one game he did look like a deer caught in the headlights, but the whole team sucked those few games - had sqeaked by Montreal game before 6 -5 and lost the following game 5 - 2.  But that game we were outshot 42 -17.  Rafferty's time on ice stats are interesting ... 4:34 in the 1st, 1:56 in the 2nd, and 7:28 in the 3rd  (included 1:24 shorthanded while killing off Myers major).  Chatfield didn't play the 2nd or 3rd periods (injured in the 1st, iirc) which put a huge burden on the 2 remaining rhd's

Anyway - I hope Benning resigns him, even if only for depth in Abbotsford.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I hope Benning resigns him, even if only for depth in Abbotsford.

Yeah, Rafferty is too good at the AHL level not to re-sign. We need that depth and also just better for our younger AHL prospects if they are surrounded with good players and the Abbotsford team is competitive.

Would have said the same for Jašek, too. He’s been very successful at the AHL level and it would have been great to keep him around, both for depth, and to have a C/W in the Abbotsford who can provide both first line level offence, and/or primary matchup duties in a two-way role. Hopefully Jazzy is getting paid the big bucks in Finland (top players can get 200-400k euros, plus some perks), and has a successful year. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/13/2021 at 11:51 PM, N4ZZY said:

Rafferty is probably at best, if he can improve his defensive play, a depth defenseman. I’m not sure if he’ll ever be strong enough to compete (physically), and I’m not sure if he’ll ever become defensively aware enough to be a regular in the NHL. I guess it’s just time to move on. If he can get another crack at another NHL roster then that’s great. I hope he gets that chance. 

Considering that Rafferty was a far better defensive player than any of the othe D’s in Utica except for Brisebois - when 2019-20 was Brisebois’ third year in the AHL and that was Rafferty’s rookie minor pro year, and that by the end of that season Cull was giving Rafferty more minutes than any other of his D, and was consistently playing Rafferty at the end of periods and especially in that last minute of games, that would not appear to be Cull’s appraisal of Rafferty compared to his other D’s. 

Tell me, how many Utica games did you actually watch, honestly, because it doesn’t look like you watched any.

4 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Considering that Rafferty was a far better defensive player than any of the othe D’s in Utica except for Brisebois - when 2019-20 was Brisebois’ third year in the AHL and that was Rafferty’s rookie minor pro year, and that by the end of that season Cull was giving Rafferty more minutes than any other of his D, and was consistently playing Rafferty at the end of periods and especially in that last minute of games, that would not appear to be Cull’s appraisal of Rafferty compared to his other D’s. 

Tell me, how many Utica games did you actually watch, honestly, because it doesn’t look like you watched any.

Are you his dad or something ?

On 6/17/2021 at 6:54 AM, Sean Monahan said:

Are you his dad or something ?

Nope, just invested a couple of years watching all of the Utica games - helps to be retired, you free up all the time you used to work... to break down games. Business taught me that just what kind of person are you if you won’t argue for what you believe in, if you think you have good reasons for believing it, and don’t give a crap about what other people think? A person is born with a brain, and their only obligation is to use it. 

• Cheers 3

On 6/13/2021 at 11:51 PM, N4ZZY said:

Rafferty is probably at best, if he can improve his defensive play, a depth defenseman. I’m not sure if he’ll ever be strong enough to compete (physically), and I’m not sure if he’ll ever become defensively aware enough to be a regular in the NHL. I guess it’s just time to move on. If he can get another crack at another NHL roster then that’s great. I hope he gets that chance. 

Raff was not given any real shot to show what he can do by Green & friends; ofcourse, he is an older rookie and he was really anticipating getting some minutes but the staff didn't give him that in a losing season.

27 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Raff was not given any real shot to show what he can do by Green & friends; ofcourse, he is an older rookie and he was really anticipating getting some minutes but the staff didn't give him that in a losing season.

They see him practice every day, so there’s that.  

I’d love to hear from Jašek on his decision to sign in Finland. Money? Lifestyle? Family? Finnish girlfriend? 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They see him practice every day, so there’s that.  

I’d love to hear from Jašek on his decision to sign in Finland. Money? Lifestyle? Family? Finnish girlfriend? 

I get it but Green was obviously coaching for a contract and he was not going to play an unknown over a trusted vet.

Perhaps, if Cull was the coach or if the Canucks did a coaching change during the season the deployment would be very different; would like to had seen the roster with a different staff; hopefully Shaw can be a difference maker (?)

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it but Green was obviously coaching for a contract and he was not going to play an unknown over a trusted vet.

Perhaps, if Cull was the coach or if the Canucks did a coaching change during the season the deployment would be very different; would like to had seen the roster with a different staff; hopefully Shaw can be a difference maker (?)

Didn’t Green play Jack Rathbone in 8 games last year?  Wasn’t he in effect an unknown rookie at the time?

Rafferty was in Vancouver pretty much the whole year last year practicing with the big club on the taxi squad. The fact he only played one game with Vancouver tells you everything you need to know about his NHL future. 

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t Green play Jack Rathbone in 8 games last year?  Wasn’t he in effect an unknown rookie at the time?

Rafferty was in Vancouver pretty much the whole year last year practicing with the big club on the taxi squad. The fact he only played one game with Vancouver tells you everything you need to know about his NHL future. 

Was still hopeful last year about seeing Rafferty maybe get some playing time. I wonder why they didn’t give him more games to see what he could do (or couldn't do) or did they already know he wasn’t NHL material? 

Rathbone did play much more than Rafferty did. Guess that tells you that Rathbone’s passed Rafferty in the depth chart defensively. 

You think Rafferty gets another shot with another NHL club? Or is he Europe bound? 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Under Green this is true but under a different staff - good chance, it will be different.

Also, mainly talking about Rafferty and Bones basically showed he belongs in the NHL regardless of Green - imo.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hey Shawn,  I often agree with you, but this time it just seems funny.

I hear people say things like, " Travis should play player X (Loui, Jake, Rooster) on Petey + Millers line for 10 games then trade him while he is hot"

As if every other GM is dumb enough to fall for that tomfoolery.

Then you (and others) make a statement like this and I wonder how stupid Jim would need to be to fall for this kind of foolishness?

I am no fan of Jim, but there is no way he is not on board with this plan, he signed Travis even after their plan failed, ( I guess knowing that there are enough fans who will blame covid)

Montreal started the playoffs with an experienced group but went young after 2 games or they would have lost to Toronto in 5

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Following my response to Antoski, I have to say Green has the shortest leash in the league.

Rafferty got 1 game, didn't look good, but come on one game.

Gadjovich got 5 minutes in one game

again I bring up Montreal, or more specifically Ducharme and Burrows, those guys know how to get productivity out of young and old.

But after 1 game with TG you say Rafferty is done,

look at the team Montreal is playing,Tuch 6 games, Nosek 17 games, Carrier, 41 games before joining the Knights

Maybe Rafferty is done, but TG sending him to purgetory after one game says more about Travis than it does Rafferty.

Oddly, and this either skewers my point or shows how disfunctional this management group is, Jalen Chatfield gets 18 games

51 minutes ago, lmm said:

Hey Shawn,  I often agree with you, but this time it just seems funny.

I hear people say things like, " Travis should play player X (Loui, Jake, Rooster) on Petey + Millers line for 10 games then trade him while he is hot"

As if every other GM is dumb enough to fall for that tomfoolery.

Then you (and others) make a statement like this and I wonder how stupid Jim would need to be to fall for this kind of foolishness?

I am no fan of Jim, but there is no way he is not on board with this plan, he signed Travis even after their plan failed, ( I guess knowing that there are enough fans who will blame covid)

Montreal started the playoffs with an experienced group but went young after 2 games or they would have lost to Toronto in 5

Following my response to Antoski, I have to say Green has the shortest leash in the league.

Rafferty got 1 game, didn't look good, but come on one game.

Gadjovich got 5 minutes in one game

again I bring up Montreal, or more specifically Ducharme and Burrows, those guys know how to get productivity out of young and old.

But after 1 game with TG you say Rafferty is done,

look at the team Montreal is playing,Tuch 6 games, Nosek 17 games, Carrier, 41 games before joining the Knights

Maybe Rafferty is done, but TG sending him to purgetory after one game says more about Travis than it does Rafferty.

Oddly, and this either skewers my point or shows how disfunctional this management group is, Jalen Chatfield gets 18 games

I get it and this is just my take in a losing season; whereas, Montreal was (legitimately) competing for a playoff spot.  Iam not suggesting any trades just responding to EPs' post about Green tendency with deployment.

Imo, JB see's something with Green and he is staking most of his tenureship with him; although, the short term extension and the addition of (a veteran) Shaw, probably means something ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Was still hopeful last year about seeing Rafferty maybe get some playing time. I wonder why they didn’t give him more games to see what he could do (or couldn't do) or did they already know he wasn’t NHL material? 

Rathbone did play much more than Rafferty did. Guess that tells you that Rathbone’s passed Rafferty in the depth chart defensively. 

You think Rafferty gets another shot with another NHL club? Or is he Europe bound? 

I think he may get one more shot on a 2 way contract.  But my gut is telling me he's going to Europe...

On 6/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Did you actually watch Rafferty in the NHL?  

He was atrocious in the one game he got into. I would’ve liked to see him given another opportunity but it is what it is.  

You are just too hell bent on blaming everything you can on management and ownership. 

I watched Rafferty's game, it was not good.

He reminded me of Luc Bourdon in his time here.

He looked afraid to make a mistake and thereby afraid to play well.

You know who I saw too much of this season was Jace Hawrlyk, Jimmy Vesey and Jalen Chatfield.

Its pretty easy to blame management when every player on the bottom 2 lines have career worst years

at some point you have to look beyond the players,

how did Hawrlyk score more in Ottawa and how did Vesey and Boyd score more in less minutes in Toronto?

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, lmm said:

You know who I saw too much of this season was Jace Hawrlyk, Jimmy Vesey and Jalen Chatfield.

Its pretty easy to blame management when every player on the bottom 2 lines have career worst years

how did Hawrlyk score more in Ottawa and how did Vesey and Boyd score more in less minutes in Toronto?

Good questions...  it's tempting to attribute it to better linemates in the case of Vesey and Boyd, but I don't think that's right.  Definitely can't put it on linemates when looking at Hawryluk's deployment on Ottawa.  Under Green's systems, the bottom two lines have to play a suffocating style and nobody down there ends up having a lot of offensive success. What are your thoughts on the reason why?  

I actually thought that Chatfield showed flashes of being a good 6th/7th dman.  He had two standout terrible games, one of which was during our run of getting shelacked 6-2 on a nightly basis, so I'm willing to throw that one out (he was -3 in that one I think).  

I liked Jalen's competitiveness in our zone, I would definitely like for him to stay in the organization.  

Since we're on this subject, I'm very hopeful that Sedins will be able to go down to Abbotsford and make some improvements to our professional development.  Our young players have either broken into the NHL pretty quickly, or else just developed into spare parts.  I hope that Henrik and Daniel can throw in some Swedish development techniques to get better results in development through AHL.  

Oh and just to answer fully, I didn't like Vesey at all while Hawryluk looked good for about 10 games at the end of the season, once we were already eliminated.  I really liked the Highmore - Graovac - Hawryluk combination in particular. Highmore is my favourite pickup from last season (not counting Hoglander and Rathbone). 

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it and this is just my take in a losing season; whereas, Montreal was (legitimately) competing for a playoff spot.  Iam not suggesting any trades just responding to EPs' post about Green tendency with deployment.

Imo, JB see's something with Green and he is staking most of his tenureship with him; although, the short term extension and the addition of (a veteran) Shaw, probably means something ?

I just don't see how being pragmatic to a fault, stubborn, un-inventive, un-motivating, while using what players did in the past or their draft position/ cost of acquiry as the go-to measure of who should be playing, is coaching for a new contract

If he was getting more than the sum of the parts from his players i could see it,

but just sticking with tired vets does not seem like coaching for a new contract.

Just like Vesey and Hawryluk, I don't think Green has anything new up his sleeve to offer this club next year.

I am willing to bet, if Shaw is not intrim head coach by Xmas, his time in Vancouver will end next summer.

I don't see why Shaw, or any coach worth his salt would want to prop up Travis and Baumer.

I used Nosek and Carrier as examples because they went to Vegas from bad teams, 

Vancouver could lose a player this summer who excells next year in Seattle, and the faithful will say, "Why didn't he play like that under Green?" (except they won't name Green, they'll say here). They'll say, " he waisted his chances"

33 minutes ago, lmm said:

Are you kidding me?  Luc Bourdon was a 19 year old kid when he played his first game as a Canuck.  Of course he was tentative and afraid.  Rafferty played in college until he was 24 years old and played a full year in the AHL before this year.  He's 26 years old.  He looked brutal in the one game he played.  Chatfield looked like a Hall of Famer compared to Rafferty.  Vesey is a two time 17 goal scorer in the NHL.  Hawryluk actually can do something on the 4th line.

Rafferty won't even make an NHL roster next year but you think Green should have played him anyways even though he can't defend to save his life.  That's not on Green.  That's on the player.  Why should Rafferty get another chance with Vancouver when at 26 years old he hasn't even learned the basics of how to defend against NHL calibre players?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, lmm said:

I just don't see how being pragmatic to a fault, stubborn, un-inventive, un-motivating, while using what players did in the past or their draft position/ cost of acquiry as the go-to measure of who should be playing, is coaching for a new contract

If he was getting more than the sum of the parts from his players i could see it,

but just sticking with tired vets does not seem like coaching for a new contract.

Just like Vesey and Hawryluk, I don't think Green has anything new up his sleeve to offer this club next year.

I am willing to bet, if Shaw is not intrim head coach by Xmas, his time in Vancouver will end next summer.

I don't see why Shaw, or any coach worth his salt would want to prop up Travis and Baumer.

I used Nosek and Carrier as examples because they went to Vegas from bad teams, 

Vancouver could lose a player this summer who excells next year in Seattle, and the faithful will say, "Why didn't he play like that under Green?" (except they won't name Green, they'll say here). They'll say, " he waisted his chances"

Imo, Green played the players he trusted  to pad his stats and the season still turned out to be a disaster; with hindsight giving these unknown lottery tickets a legit chance would had been the prudent decision cause it would had atleast answered where they might or not fit in next years roster.  This coming season the biggest X factor (imo) is what Shaw can do with the roster. 

There are plenty of examples of players thriving once they get to a new team & there are also others were the result is predictable.

The offseason is just about to start (fingers crossed) and I can’t wait for next season - GCG !

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Good questions...  it's tempting to attribute it to better linemates in the case of Vesey and Boyd, but I don't think that's right.  Definitely can't put it on linemates when looking at Hawryluk's deployment on Ottawa.  Under Green's systems, the bottom two lines have to play a suffocating style and nobody down there ends up having a lot of offensive success. What are your thoughts on the reason why?  

I actually thought that Chatfield showed flashes of being a good 6th/7th dman.  He had two standout terrible games, one of which was during our run of getting shelacked 6-2 on a nightly basis, so I'm willing to throw that one out (he was -3 in that one I think).  

I liked Jalen's competitiveness in our zone, I would definitely like for him to stay in the organization.  

Since we're on this subject, I'm very hopeful that Sedins will be able to go down to Abbotsford and make some improvements to our professional development.  Our young players have either broken into the NHL pretty quickly, or else just developed into spare parts.  I hope that Henrik and Daniel can throw in some Swedish development techniques to get better results in development through AHL.  

Oh and just to answer fully, I didn't like Vesey at all while Hawryluk looked good for about 10 games at the end of the season, once we were already eliminated.  I really liked the Highmore - Graovac - Hawryluk combination in particular. Highmore is my favourite pickup from last season (not counting Hoglander and Rathbone). 

I did like Highmore and would like to see Graovac get a decent shot.

I think Grao is a bit of a slow starter, who has had injuries, but is ready to show a little more

I think Hawryluk is a poor man's Motte and I don't like Motte enough to accept less

I think Highmore could replace Motte

Talking about how bad Rafferty played in his one game, Motte played equally poorly in his one game on Petey's wing.

Motte is OK at what he does, but I do not love him the way some here do.

Chatfrield is no different than Biega, too small to play regular, but a decent fill in, 7-8-9 

If you are going to spend your small D spots on Hughes and Rathbone, (and why wouldn't you?) yu need big defensive spares lest you endout with Hughes and Chatter killing penalties when Myers gets injured and Edler takes a penalty.

Interesting thought on the Sedins improving developement, that sounds like coaching, not management, but maybe it helps. Maybe they will have ideas like Gillis did and make adjustment out side of regular thinking. If they can do that, and not make us a softer team, that would be great.

I see the dicotomy between the 1-2 lines and the 3-4 lines as a coaching issue

I was not impressed with the 2 minute PP shifts this year.

I think it shows a lack of respect for the 2nd unit (from the coach and the 1st unit) it also shows a lack of imagination from the coach, and the 1st unit was conserving energy to play the whole 2 minutes rather than spending their energy to score in 55 seconds and get off the ice. 

I think the same message is sent from the coaches when Gadjovich plays 5 minutes or Grao, or Juolevi.

If the coach is going to treat players like that, they should be waived the next day

I feel this team had an alarming number of 5 minute games and an even more alarming number of 2+ minute shifts, and that is not counting the 2 minute shifts cause by players getting caught on multiple icings, etc. 2 minute shifts are a sign of arrogance, that the coaching staff endorsed

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1