The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] M.Richards(LA) Contract Terminated

Even if that is the case, it seems to me that they shouldn't receive cap relief for it. Terminating a contract should be defined in the CBA, if it's not, they need to deal with that immediately. That's the stuff that causes serious labour strife.

Agreed. If this holds up, soon other teams will be looking for "material breaches of contract" in order to get rid of big, long contracts.

You know, I've watched Mike Richards and Jeff Carter for a very very long time. They partied hard in Philly, but I think the difference between the 2 is that Jeff Carter found family, and Mike Richards hasn't yet, it's a shame to see, but I expect we'll be hearing about Mike Richards going into rehab for Cocaine use and declaring bankruptcy sometime down the line.

Helluva hockey player when he wanted to be.

It's a shame the blow won.

According to a lot of sources, it's border related.

Here is my (not so) crazy theory.

- prior drug problems so I'm going to assume it was drug related

- judging from past and teammates it was probably a severe drug (Cocaine)

- he isn't allowed in Canada or USA (Crazy, but could potentially be true)

- because of the above, he can't live up to his contract which says that by law you must be allowed to play in all 30 arenas or it can be terminated.

It's anyones guess.

Kinda funny how this only happens to bad players. Remember when Varlamov temporarily couldnt play in Canada so Giguere was always starting? If Varlamov wasn't a god that year, COL probably would of used this termination tactic.

As someone who isn't a fan of MR or LA, it will be fun to see the outcome.

well bob Probert could not cross the border and he played so think there is more to it then that!

Well it could be optional because Varlamov did the same a few years ago. Maybe LA wants him gone so bad that they actually terminate it.

My theory will be that it will have to do with his fitness, training and off-season antics. Remember last year they were going to buy him out but said Richards looked them in the eye and promised to train harder? He didn't. But that fact alone could be enough if he failed to the point of deception.

Question becomes, how much say does the team have during summer

TSN legal analyst has confirmed it was an incident at the border on Friday afternoon before the draft.

https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw

1. I have also heard of border incident being involved.

Grizzly Man @grizzleeman
    @EricOnSportsLaw So are you playing Devil's Advocate or do you really not know what happened?

Macramalla@EricOnSportsLaw 48m48 minutes ago

I do know yes.

LA should be taking on the cap hit for him. Clearly cap circumvention even if the drug and border incidents are true programs should be in place where an employee can go get the help they need.

If they terminate this contract may as well terminate Voynovs as well while they are at it

well bob Probert could not cross the border and he played so think there is more to it then that!

For the team to have any chance at winning a court case it would have to have been a felony level possession for the intent of distribution charge that also had an immediate ban from travelling to one of the countries imposed by the border guards.

Even at that, it is a tough argument because those things can get overturned and plead down pretty quickly and it could have been resolved before training camp started.

They would have been safer legally to suspend him and then terminate his contract when he was unable to show up to work.

I suspect the league will let them off the hook to show they are hard on bad behaviour. Although, on the other side, it is really tough to penalize someone for addiction problems unless you have gone through a bunch of steps to get them help and it hasn't worked.

LA should be taking on the cap hit for him. Clearly cap circumvention even if the drug and border incidents are true programs should be in place where an employee can go get the help they need.

If they terminate this contract may as well terminate Voynovs as well while they are at it

You know what a contract is, right? It's an agreement to do certain things. If he violates it, it can be cancelled.

The funny thing is I'm assuming if this was a Canuck player you'd be going great job JB ! I always get a kick out of those people who can see any situation in a light that benefits them and not even realize they're doing it.

You know what a contract is, right? It's an agreement to do certain things. If he violates it, it can be cancelled.

That isn't actually true. You can violate many parts of many contracts without it being cancelled. There are many other remedies available in most cases and contract termination is considered like the death penalty.

They have the opportunity to suspend him and insist he complies with league imposed substance abuse treatment.... the the rumour about it being drug related is true.

Any third party would question why they didn't do that instead. His legal team would argue that he is really being terminated for other reasons such as his play on the ice, which they aren't allowed to do.

Man, I didn't think anyone could decline harder and faster than heatley, but I think mike richards beats him! Once thought to be a franchise centreman to being a shadow of his former self by 30 and not have it be caused by injuries. Well at least he won 2 cups!

Archived