The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] M.Richards(LA) Contract Terminated

Man, I didn't think anyone could decline harder and faster than heatley, but I think mike richards beats him! Once thought to be a franchise centreman to being a shadow of his former self by 30 and not have it be caused by injuries. Well at least he won 2 cups!

nose injuries

You know what a contract is, right? It's an agreement to do certain things. If he violates it, it can be cancelled.

The funny thing is I'm assuming if this was a Canuck player you'd be going great job JB ! I always get a kick out of those people who can see any situation in a light that benefits them and not even realize they're doing it.

Well aware of what a contract is my friend well aware. Actually I would not be saying great job JB. We Wil have to wait and see what comes out of this and why it was terminated.

Probably for some minor offense or something completely stupid its obvious cap circumvention for a guy who was likely the top candidate for buyout. Then again he might have been selling coke to young kids or smuggling something across the line. You never know but I can see this being something minor and they took the opportunity and ran with it. Hopefully it is looked at long and hard

1) This sounds like more than drugs

2) The morality clause is pretty generously worded in favour of the team - yes there is room for a partial award in Richards' favour, but if he's breached the contract then he's breached the contract. The clause makes it clear that the penalty for breach is dismissal, which makes this the same as any other employment situation where there's a dismissal with cause - the contract can be rescinded or repudiated from the point of the breach.

yes Richards could be a good pickup. maybe Chicago tries the other richards on a cheap deal haha

He could help alot of teams, he should have the fire inside and want to prove people wrong. he is only 30.

Dare i say the canucks offer him a 1 or 2 yr deal. Could allow us to put bonino on wing, Richards is good pker and i think better at faceoffs than bonino

Not exactly a good sign when a team opts to terminate a contract. I doubt GM s are guna clammer to sign the guy after that

It's yet another sobering (don't mind the pun) reminder that regardless of how much money one has or makes, or how blessed you may be with a particular talent, no one is immune from terrible decision making.

I'll be honest, never really followed the story all that closely. In other LA related news:

Slava Voynov has been suspended by the Los Angeles Kings.

The team discovered that he suffered a torn Achilles tendon away from a hockey-related activity, so they chose to add their own suspension on top of the one he already has by the NHL. The move provides the Kings with more cap space and flexibility. It also gives them some protection just in case Voynov is not able to play due to injury, assuming he is eligible to do so. His trial is set to open July 6 after he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence back in October. Jun 25 - 1:57 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/2561/slava-voynov

So not only do they get off Scott free for Mike Richards contract, Slava Voynov's salary now doesn't count against their cap. Talk about really bending the rules to your own benefit.

With those two contracts currently off the books, and the retained salary on the Lucic deal, the Kings have 10.7 million in cap space. FML, I can see them going hard after one of Green or Franson.

They get rid of two contracts of players who weren't even on their roster, add a bruising PFW and have enough cap space leading into UFA to sign a T2 d-man.

It's yet another sobering (don't mind the pun) reminder that regardless of how much money one has or makes, or how blessed you may be with a particular talent, no one is immune from terrible decision making.

I'll be honest, never really followed the story all that closely. In other LA related news:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/2561/slava-voynov

So not only do they get off Scott free for Mike Richards contract, Slava Voynov's salary now doesn't count against their cap. Talk about really bending the rules to your own benefit.

With those two contracts currently off the books, and the retained salary on the Lucic deal, the Kings have 10.7 million in cap space. FML, I can see them going hard after one of Green or Franson.

They get rid of two contracts of players who weren't even on their roster, add a bruising PFW and have enough cap space leading into UFA to sign a T2 d-man.

So they have enough cap for Bieksa...

For those thinking this termination will hold up. I read an article saying that only one pro sports contract has been successfully terminated like this in all of North America.

I am eager to hear what the incident was, but since there has been no due process yet, I can't imagine anything more than a suspension could be warranted and upheld by an arbitrator.

Quickly terminating seems clearly like a convenient "out" that they are trying to pull. A more reasoned response would be to suspend until all the facts came out and/or a criminal trial was complete.

For those thinking this termination will hold up. I read an article saying that only one pro sports contract has been successfully terminated like this in all of North America.

I am eager to hear what the incident was, but since there has been no due process yet, I can't imagine anything more than a suspension could be warranted and upheld by an arbitrator.

Quickly terminating seems clearly like a convenient "out" that they are trying to pull. A more reasoned response would be to suspend until all the facts came out and/or a criminal trial was complete.

I think the move is timed more so to give them the "cap space" on July 1, sign a UFA and if the termination is overturned they will buy him out and deal with the cap hit on the buyout.

This is all about timing, they know that nothing really can be done quickly enough to prevent them from now having that cap space available to them. Combined with the fact teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap but must become compliant by day 1, it stinks like dirty rules bending to me.

Stoll's contract was expiring anyway, but Voyonov absolutely should be terminated if this is Lombardi acting morally. Except they haven't done that, since this is Lombardi trying to save the cap space and they'd happily take Voyonov back despite what he's done.

Voynov hasn't been found guilty yet. The Kings can't terminate his contract until he is. I assume if he is found guilty, then he is immediately deported back to Russia, and LA terminates his contract. Doesn't matter how good he is.

I think the move is timed more so to give them the "cap space" on July 1, sign a UFA and if the termination is overturned they will buy him out and deal with the cap hit on the buyout.

This is all about timing, they know that nothing really can be done quickly enough to prevent them from now having that cap space available to them. Combined with the fact teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap but must become compliant by day 1, it stinks like dirty rules bending to me.

If the NHL agrees to allow the termination to come off the salary cap, and who knows what their reaction is going to be... it has never been tried before.

Presumably they would like to see owners being able to get out of contracts and not have to pay anything, so they likely end up on LA's side of this.

I would like to see the NHL put in some sanctions against the Kings who have been playing fast and loose with cap circumvention.

I'm sure they have a lawyer or two. Probably have a better case then we think

I'm sure they have a lawyer or two. Probably have a better case then we think

Or they are just floating a balloon to see what happens. They create a crisis and hope that the league lets them off the hook.

There really isn't a lot of downside to a ploy like this.

One would think the worst case scenario even if they lose is that the league lets them get cap relief until the situation is resolved.... then allows them to buy him out even though it is not in the buy out window at that point.

It is highly doubtful that the league makes them reinstate him for the season when the arbitration happens and get dinged for the full cap hit.

More likely way this plays out:

1. NHLPA grieves it.

2. An expidited arbitration happens and a temporary stay of the termination gets imposed.

3. Richards becomes suspended either with or without pay at this point

4. Arbitration happens, probably sometime between September and Christmas.

5, Termination is disallowed.

6. If drug related, Richards is re-instated on "terms and conditions" that include successful completion of a treatment program. Probably something that spans the entire next season.

7. He is suspended until that happens then fully re-instated upon completion.

As for how the league decides on how to work the cap hit for him... that is a complete unknown. On one side, they are representing the owners including LA... on the other side, they just gave LA a pass with the Voynov cap hit so may be feeling less than charitable with the team not being able to get their house in order.

They didn't buy him out. They terminated his contract he doesn't get one cent. Cap recapture is only 1.25million for the duration ... unreal.

Regardless of what happened to him this should show all the players in the league what scum bag operation LA is running. Funny what the league pets get away with.

Archived