The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] M.Richards(LA) Contract Terminated

This is precedent setting stuff, very surprised it isn't getting more press, especially in Canada. The eventual outcome of this situation could potentially pave a new path in the NHL , and perhaps other pro sports, as to how salary caps, contracts, and players in general are treated. Imagine, and it doesn't seem that far fetched, teams hiring detectives to watch their assets looking for ways to void dead weight contracts. It could be open season on the NHLPA members.

This has to have a deep personal aspect to it however, considering other pro sports in NA and the kind of stuff that goes on in these leagues and the Kings are targeting MR (for obvious reasons). They could've publicly said they were getting him some help but no, they brought the unusual death penalty on him per se and want him gone.

Got to think this deeply personal and will get nasty as it moves forward.

NHLPA had better advise its members wisely, I suspect this is the beginning of a new era in team/player relationships regardless of outcome. And if LA wins.......oh man, open season on players.

This is precedent setting stuff, very surprised it isn't getting more press, especially in Canada. The eventual outcome of this situation could potentially pave a new path in the NHL , and perhaps other pro sports, as to how salary caps, contracts, and players in general are treated. Imagine, and it doesn't seem that far fetched, teams hiring detectives to watch their assets looking for ways to void dead weight contracts. It could be open season on the NHLPA members.

This has to have a deep personal aspect to it however, considering other pro sports in NA and the kind of stuff that goes on in these leagues and the Kings are targeting MR (for obvious reasons). They could've publicly said they were getting him some help but no, they brought the unusual death penalty on him per se and want him gone.

Got to think this deeply personal and will get nasty as it moves forward.

NHLPA had better advise its members wisely, I suspect this is the beginning of a new era in team/player relationships regardless of outcome. And if LA wins.......oh man, open season on players.

There's an RCMP & Border Services investigation into Mike Richards as of now...perhaps his contract termination has to do with something illegal involving Richards. Border Services getting involved might be an indication of trafficking across international borders, that's some heavy stuff.

There's an RCMP & Border Services investigation into Mike Richards as of now...perhaps his contract termination has to do with something illegal involving Richards. Border Services getting involved might be an indication of trafficking across international borders, that's some heavy stuff.

I understand, but if this was Kopitar or Doughty do you think they would terminate them or stand by their asset? They are even supporting an abuser, but Richards....... Like I said, this is going to get nasty.

I understand, but if this was Kopitar or Doughty do you think they would terminate them or stand by their asset? They are even supporting an abuser, but Richards....... Like I said, this is going to get nasty.

Yeah, it's gonna be nasty for sure.

Now that some of these issues are beginning to come to light however, I'm not really blaming Lombardi for trying to circumvent the cap...after all, he could've traded Richards to the Flames or Oilers, as has been reported, and actually gotten a return on Richards.

My gut tells me Richards screwed up, big time.

Yeah, it's gonna be nasty for sure.

Now that some of these issues are beginning to come to light however, I'm not really blaming Lombardi for trying to circumvent the cap...after all, he could've traded Richards to the Flames or Oilers, as has been reported, and actually gotten a return on Richards.

My gut tells me Richards screwed up, big time.

Years from now his two cups will be long forgotten.

He will forever be known as a cautionary tale, for gm's and players alike unfortunately.

Years from now his two cups will be long forgotten.

He will forever be known as a cautionary tale, for gm's and players alike unfortunately.

As long as he doesn't pawn his rings, it shouldn't be too hard to remind people.

Right now I'm interested to know if the LA Kings have set an NHL record with 3 contracted players the subject of 3 separate criminal investigations/charges in 10 months?

According to a lot of sources, it's border related.

Here is my (not so) crazy theory.

- prior drug problems so I'm going to assume it was drug related

- judging from past and teammates it was probably a severe drug (Cocaine)

- he isn't allowed in Canada or USA (Crazy, but could potentially be true)

- because of the above, he can't live up to his contract which says that by law you must be allowed to play in all 30 arenas or it can be terminated.

It's anyones guess.

Kinda funny how this only happens to bad players. Remember when Varlamov temporarily couldnt play in Canada so Giguere was always starting? If Varlamov wasn't a god that year, COL probably would of used this termination tactic.

As someone who isn't a fan of MR or LA, it will be fun to see the outcome.

A Canadian not being allowed in Canada.......

Voynov hasn't been found guilty yet. The Kings can't terminate his contract until he is. I assume if he is found guilty, then he is immediately deported back to Russia, and LA terminates his contract. Doesn't matter how good he is.

if convicted, he faces a maximum of 9 years in state prison, then deportation

Archived