The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Unconditional - Hodgson, Stalberg

Visp

If we were to pick him up, there would no longer be any debate as to who won the trade, as we'd have both Hodgson and Kassian :D; game, set and match.

Honestly though, if he does got bought out, I'd be willing to bring him in on a PTO if he were willing to try and prove himself for a new contract (so long as no one else offers him an actual contract, which he'd likely accept)

Weren't there 6 players he was targeting for Hodgson? I remember Carlson, Clifford, and Kassian were three but forgot the rest.

John Carlson

Kyle Clifford

Erik Gudbranson

Zach Kassian

Brandon Sutter

Jarred Tinordi

Crazy that before he was drafted he was lauded as having impeccable character, great two way play , great leadership abilities and a solid work ethic. Pretty much the opposite has been true in every regard since he's made the NHL lol. Maybe this is the kick in the ass that he needed.

He wanted to play here when he was here, and if he put in the effort he'd definitely get 2nd line play over Bonino. With new management, I can't see why a thing like this couldn't work, provided CoHo and his camp understand that the garbage they pulled that got him traded in the first place won't be tolerated

2nd line play over Bones? you really think Hodgson can face heavy matchups against the oppositions best centers or PK. Oh i see what you want, shelter him heavily and let his linemates do the dirty crap..we already have seen that picture show before.

Yes, for two reasons.

1st. Gillis was only trading with one team. He should have let it be known around the league he was interested in moving Hodgson for the right price, he would have gotten more out of the deal.

2nd. He should have waited until the draft, so that inflated Cody's numbers for the season and post season. Once again we would have gotten more.

Having Kassian with a bad back isn't a lot to show for it.

The trade was never about the kid having "issues" as Gillis inferred months after the trade to deflect negative attention from himself. It was always about what Gillis said at the actual time of the trade (and would have stuck to if not for the media driven effort to look for "controversy" after the Canucks bombed out of the playoffs) - Gillis wanted the Canucks to "get bigger", he wanted a quality youngster who could fit that role and Hodgson was the quality piece to give for the exchange.

With that in mind, Gillis could not have waited until the draft to pull the trigger...

Canucks management knew in January that Kesler was playing with an injury that would require off-season surgery, by getting in "bigger" (aka: heavier) at the trade deadline, the intention was to relieve Kesler from carrying the team's entire "hard to play against" burden and free him up to chip in the offense. Imagine that play off run if Kassian had in fact been NHL ready for 3rd duty with some 2C spotting shift-to-shift to throw his body against the liberty takers? Kesler gets relief from being work horsed to death, and in theory at least, Kesler can hold his body together long enough to add the secondary scoring so desperately needed.

Sure, they coulda kept Hodgson for that secondary scoring, but he was never gonna replace Kesler's heavy play - Gillis pulled the trigger pre playoffs hoping to get both the secondary scoring (via Kesler) and the heavy playing (via Kassian supplemented by Kesler).

I fault Gillis for the subsequent bus tossing that has made the kid the subject of erroneous trash talking gossip ever since, but it's hard to fault Gillis for making a hockey move - or for choosing the timing he did. It was a gamble, but it was an honest gamble.

I never saw any quit in Vey last year. saw it multiple times with CoHo. I don't know what his issues

were in Buffalo. I doubt he is a option as long as Kassian is here. I want Zack to get a shot this fall.

Why? Do Kassian and Hodgson know each other? Have they ever actually even met? Or is the whole Kassian-Hodgson thing some insane fan-based imaginary competition?

Why? Do Kassian and Hodgson know each other? Have they ever actually even met? Or is the whole Kassian-Hodgson thing some insane fan-based imaginary competition?

I remember Kassian saying they met up the summer after the trade to have lunch.

I think the bloggers could do us a favour and analyze why Coho ultimately failed. Was it the back injury? Because it seems that his skating has always been a flaw with him and he's still working on it to this day. Is that because of the back?

Maybe there's something to be said about the mechanics of his skating stride. Or the physical limits he had because of his legs. Maybe the Canucks could just learn something on their own rather than depend on our expert analysis for help.

I never saw any quit in Vey last year. saw it multiple times with CoHo. I don't know what his issues

were in Buffalo. I doubt he is a option as long as Kassian is here. I want Zack to get a shot this fall.

yes Linden Vey scored 10 goals and had 24 points in 75 games compared to Hodgson's 6 goals and 13 points in 78 games.

people are insane to think Hodgson coming back to the Canucks would benefit the team. Where would he fit in at? Hodgson isnt better than Henrik, Bonino, Horvat and he isnt suited for a 4th line role.

Comparable to Linden Vey but atleast Vey has room for improvement and a better attitude.

#BringHomeCoHo :bigblush:

Just make sure to leave his dad in Buffalo.

He was already brought home...to the Toronto area, close to daddy. I'm sure he looks at the West Coast like Siberia.

How can his conditioning be bad, I thought this guy works out at Gary Roberts camp for Supermen?

^ this

IMO it has to be his nagging back issues. I don't know if he hid his problem just before that big signing, or if his back actually had a bump in improvement just before. I just cannot believe that a player voted as the best leader by AHL coaches, a top player in the World Juniors, someone with that kind of character can plummet because of laziness or indifference.

The trade was never about the kid having "issues" as Gillis inferred months after the trade to deflect negative attention from himself. It was always about what Gillis said at the actual time of the trade (and would have stuck to if not for the media driven effort to look for "controversy" after the Canucks bombed out of the playoffs) - Gillis wanted the Canucks to "get bigger", he wanted a quality youngster who could fit that role and Hodgson was the quality piece to give for the exchange.

With that in mind, Gillis could not have waited until the draft to pull the trigger...

Canucks management knew in January that Kesler was playing with an injury that would require off-season surgery, by getting in "bigger" (aka: heavier) at the trade deadline, the intention was to relieve Kesler from carrying the team's entire "hard to play against" burden and free him up to chip in the offense. Imagine that play off run if Kassian had in fact been NHL ready for 3rd duty with some 2C spotting shift-to-shift to throw his body against the liberty takers? Kesler gets relief from being work horsed to death, and in theory at least, Kesler can hold his body together long enough to add the secondary scoring so desperately needed.

Sure, they coulda kept Hodgson for that secondary scoring, but he was never gonna replace Kesler's heavy play - Gillis pulled the trigger pre playoffs hoping to get both the secondary scoring (via Kesler) and the heavy playing (via Kassian supplemented by Kesler).

I fault Gillis for the subsequent bus tossing that has made the kid the subject of erroneous trash talking gossip ever since, but it's hard to fault Gillis for making a hockey move - or for choosing the timing he did. It was a gamble, but it was an honest gamble.

The very fact that management knew Kesler was injured since January was all the more reason to keep Hodgson. He was our 3rd leading scorer, ahead of Kesler, and remarkably that came about despite the meager ice time that AV permitted him. He was the top rookie in scoring...if calculated per minute on the ice. Of course we needed size, but they were remarkably naive to think Kassian could step right in and be a force in the coming playoffs. Hodgson could have been a much greater force via scoring threat.

Obviously in hindsight trading him was a good decision. But also obvious is that Gillis should have waited until the draft. He (and probably the perpetually inept Delorme) over-valued Kassian immensely as a player on their "list" that they just HAD to have if there was any possibility. So they set about a publicity smear against Cody in order to shield their failed gamble.

Archived