The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer

jono2009

I think with 2.8 million in cap space there is enough to give him a fair deal. Like I said, Benning has not shown to be cheap with his players so far. Whats the hold up then?

Less than 1.7 if u figure in bonuses. Some people have commented, and I agree, that Benning still has to move out one forward. Whether it's Burrows Higgins or the Badger every ounce of cap space is required until the move is made for multiple reasons... ie: Returning contracts and bargaining flexibility. So until the deal is done... Or not done we need the space

Lol. You are an embarrassment. Further more

Scouting report :

Baerstchi is a good two-way player with high-end offensive talent. The playmaking winger has really improved his skating explosiveness while learning to change speed to throw off the defender. Since being drafted in 2011, he has really improved his vision and hockey sense as well as his overall game. The first rounder clearly projects as a top line forward. His work ethic, passion, desire and attitude to be the best are top notch.

Might wana read that last part partner before spouting off and making Van fans sound stupid. Sven has never had character issues

Ok I get it you have a serious H@rd On for this guy fill your boots. My priority is the team and I don't give two flying f@#$s about this guys potential blah blah blah that you quoted from some old scouting report. I would rather see what he can do in the NHL on the big club and make my judgements then. I really don't care what he has done in the minors because I have seen time and time again failures who never make it to the NHL and make an impact with the team. i.e. Shroeder,Hodgson,Jensen etc.

This guy has been trying to be a regular in the NHL since 2011 and this is his 2nd team. Why did Calgary give up on him?

You can try to sit there and try to insult my intelligence because you THINK you know more than me but don't sit there and think that you are representing the rest of CDC because I doubt they are all on board with your child like reponse. I guess you have some crystal ball hidden somewhere where you can predict future events or you are some kind of genius pick one.

It's ironic is it not, the tomes that have been written on here in defence of holding onto a player who just didn't understand the game and yet just because a newly acquired rookie wants to haggle for what he thinks he is worth, people want to show him the door and call HIM difficult. :picard:

So in your mind, it's wrong to post an opinion in an open forum? Get your head out of your a$$

Ok I get it you have a serious H@rd On for this guy fill your boots. My priority is the team and I don't give two flying f@#$s about this guys potential blah blah blah that you quoted from some old scouting report. I would rather see what he can do in the NHL on the big club and make my judgements then. I really don't care what he has done in the minors because I have seen time and time again failures who never make it to the NHL and make an impact with the team. i.e. Shroeder,Hodgson,Jensen etc.

This guy has been trying to be a regular in the NHL since 2011 and this is his 2nd team. Why did Calgary give up on him?

You can try to sit there and try to insult my intelligence because you THINK you know more than me but don't sit there and think that you are representing the rest of CDC because I doubt they are all on board with your child like reponse. I guess you have some crystal ball hidden somewhere where you can predict future events or you are some kind of genius pick one.

Not one of the bolded did very much in the AHL, Sven has done much more in the AHL and is all but sure to do more in the NHL.

I think with 2.8 million in cap space there is enough to give him a fair deal. Like I said, Benning has not shown to be cheap with his players so far. Whats the hold up then?

Calgary did not give up on him. He is the one that asked out and when that happens teams tend to oblige. When Treliving came onboard he said he reached out to Sven and it seems that him being new on the team and Sven breaking his ribs at the Worlds before Treliving had an opportunity to watch him play kind of made them decide to give it another try. But it didn't work out and they decided to move on - his agent kind of forced their hand by saying he wouldn't re-sign.

Cap space as disclosed on those cap websites is deceiving because if an injury happens there is just no room to call anyone up from the AHL if the team operates too close to the cap. Players who are on IR still count against the cap - it is only if they are on LTIR (10 games and 24 days or more) that teams can get some kind of relief. So there needs to be cap flexibility for these situations.

The Canucks can't just look at 2.8M (in fact less if Virtanen makes the team over Kenins as his salary is higher) and claim there is ample cap space if they have limited room for injury call-ups or in-season trades. Also Horvat and Virtanen both have performance bonuses which if met count against the cap so the team will probably want to make some allowance for that possibility to avoid carrying it over into 2016/17.

Here are the tweets on the Canucks needing to clear cap space. I see no reason why his agent would talk of cap space unless it is the Canucks that gave him that excuse for the delay. By the tweets they seem to be on the same page and for now the Canucks have some flexibility to make possible adjustments to their roster (need to move someone if Virtanen is to make the team). He is also apparently training in Vancouver with the Canucks staff so no reason to think that a deal won't get done in due time.

And just reminder that Vey, Kenins, Grenier and others have rejected their QO to sign a contract instead so it's not a big deal as it's kind of the standard not only for the Canucks but across the league - all QOs have lapsed on 15 July anyway as it's just a formality to retain a players' rights.

@NEWS1130Sports:

Agent Andre Rufener says due to cap issues, term wise, it will take a few weeks before Sven Baertschi signs with the #Canucks.

Rufener says the 2 sides are not far apart, they are on the same page re Baertschi, talking about several different scenarios. #Canucks”

Baertschi rejected his qualifying offer from the #Canucks. They have talked about multiple year deals. Cap space needs to be cleared.

Calgary did not give up on him. He is the one that asked out and when that happens teams tend to oblige.

Yup Sven was unhappy with his position in Calgary, as already said previously that his goal is to play in the NHL and he wasn't getting enough ice time on the NHL team and doesn't want to settle with the AHL.

It doesn't matter whether he signs or not anyway. We're going to ice a team come October, and that team is going to have players. And we're going to form attachments to those players and root for that team. It's going to be awesome!

Yup. This whole conversation would actually make sense if training camp was starting without Sven signed.

Not one of the bolded did very much in the AHL, Sven has done much more in the AHL and is all but sure to do more in the NHL.

It is true that Baertschi did more in the AHL than Hodgson, Schroeder and Jensen. He has also done more the Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and pretty much all other recent or current prospects in the Canuck system.. However, Vey, who was in the LA system, did very well in the AHL. -- slightly better than Baertschi.

Looking at his record in Junior, the AHL, and the NHL (30 pts in 69 games) Baertschi has a good trajectory -- the kind that suggests he has a good shot at playing top 6 in the NHL. But he is far from a lock and is a classic case of a guy who needs to be good enough to play top 6 or end up as a career AHLer (or go back to Europe).

This year is a big year for him. He turns 23 at the start of the season. This is the year he needs to show he really belongs in the NHL. If he doesn't become a solid NHL player this year his long run NHL prospects will not look good. But at this stage he is a good guy to have in the system and looks like good value for a second round pick.

It is true that Baertschi did more in the AHL than Hodgson, Schroeder and Jensen. He has also done more the Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and pretty much all other recent or current prospects in the Canuck system.. However, Vey, who was in the LA system, did very well in the AHL. -- slightly better than Baertschi.

Looking at his record in Junior, the AHL, and the NHL (30 pts in 69 games) Baertschi has a good trajectory -- the kind that suggests he has a good shot at playing top 6 in the NHL. But he is far from a lock and is a classic case of a guy who needs to be good enough to play top 6 or end up as a career AHLer (or go back to Europe).

This year is a big year for him. He turns 23 at the start of the season. This is the year he needs to show he really belongs in the NHL. If he doesn't become a solid NHL player this year his long run NHL prospects will not look good. But at this stage he is a good guy to have in the system and looks like good value for a second round pick.

Totally agree. Hoping he gets enough games to really show something.

That said I thought Vey actually showed quite a bit last year. I am more excited about his upcoming season than Sven B's. Vey

was making plays all season. He was able to handle the puck in a crowd. Vey comes back a little bigger and stronger and he

could build off a decent rookie year.

Calgary did not give up on him. He is the one that asked out and when that happens teams tend to oblige. When Treliving came onboard he said he reached out to Sven and it seems that him being new on the team and Sven breaking his ribs at the Worlds before Treliving had an opportunity to watch him play kind of made them decide to give it another try. But it didn't work out and they decided to move on - his agent kind of forced their hand by saying he wouldn't re-sign.

Cap space as disclosed on those cap websites is deceiving because if an injury happens there is just no room to call anyone up from the AHL if the team operates too close to the cap. Players who are on IR still count against the cap - it is only if they are on LTIR (10 games and 24 days or more) that teams can get some kind of relief. So there needs to be cap flexibility for these situations.

The Canucks can't just look at 2.8M (in fact less if Virtanen makes the team over Kenins as his salary is higher) and claim there is ample cap space if they have limited room for injury call-ups or in-season trades. Also Horvat and Virtanen both have performance bonuses which if met count against the cap so the team will probably want to make some allowance for that possibility to avoid carrying it over into 2016/17.

Here are the tweets on the Canucks needing to clear cap space. I see no reason why his agent would talk of cap space unless it is the Canucks that gave him that excuse for the delay. By the tweets they seem to be on the same page and for now the Canucks have some flexibility to make possible adjustments to their roster (need to move someone if Virtanen is to make the team). He is also apparently training in Vancouver with the Canucks staff so no reason to think that a deal won't get done in due time.

And just reminder that Vey, Kenins, Grenier and others have rejected their QO to sign a contract instead so it's not a big deal as it's kind of the standard not only for the Canucks but across the league - all QOs have lapsed on 15 July anyway as it's just a formality to retain a players' rights.

@NEWS1130Sports:

Agent Andre Rufener says due to cap issues, term wise, it will take a few weeks before Sven Baertschi signs with the #Canucks.

Rufener says the 2 sides are not far apart, they are on the same page re Baertschi, talking about several different scenarios. #Canucks”

Baertschi rejected his qualifying offer from the #Canucks. They have talked about multiple year deals. Cap space needs to be cleared.

Umm..........You are kind of reinforcing what I am trying to say that he has past concerns regarding contracts and he is not even an established NHLer yet. That is a little concerning. I just read that Semin signed for 1.1 million and he is an established NHLer with question marks. I am thinking he is asking for more $ or more term which in either case I do not believe he has earned yet. Give him a 1 year "show me what you can do" for a full season in the NHL before asking for a good contract.

Umm..........You are kind of reinforcing what I am trying to say that he has past concerns regarding contracts and he is not even an established NHLer yet. That is a little concerning. I just read that Semin signed for 1.1 million and he is an established NHLer with question marks. I am thinking he is asking for more $ or more term which in either case I do not believe he has earned yet. Give him a 1 year "show me what you can do" for a full season in the NHL before asking for a good contract.

Just stop man. There is no need for a show what you can do deal. The team and his agent ARE ON THE SAME PAGE. They just need to work the deal into the salary structure. Did you even read the tweets that you responded to?

Archived