The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer

jono2009

He's going to make more than Semin, isn't he. *sigh*

Waaaah. What are you on about?

Semin was sheltered like a teenager in Carolina, highest ozone starts on the team, extremely weak quality of competition and managed 19 points in 57 games. Bought out by the league's worst franchise, that didn't need cap space (but do need the money), and are paying him 2.333 a year for half a decade - to get rid of him.

Btw, your 'sig'pic is disgusting.

Is that your idea of California dreaming. Barzal - your fantasies belong in private.

Open your mind oldnews, there's a whole world full of guilty pleasures out there just waiting to be explored. I'm sure all the pro-Virtanen CDC-ers have their hard hats on now, but those legs are irresistible.

They won't be denied forever.

Open your mind oldnews, there's a whole world full of guilty pleasures out there just waiting to be explored. I'm sure all the pro-Virtanen CDC-ers have their hard hats on now, but those legs are irresistible.

keep your Semin talk to yourself. thanks. :lol:

Just stop man. There is no need for a show what you can do deal. The team and his agent ARE ON THE SAME PAGE. They just need to work the deal into the salary structure. Did you even read the tweets that you responded to?

Are you his agent? Because it sure seems like you know EXACTLY what is going on with negotiations. Your guess is as good as the rest of us CHAMP. Man there sure is a lot of you "Know it alls" on this board, Wow!

Umm..........You are kind of reinforcing what I am trying to say that he has past concerns regarding contracts and he is not even an established NHLer yet. That is a little concerning. I just read that Semin signed for 1.1 million and he is an established NHLer with question marks. I am thinking he is asking for more $ or more term which in either case I do not believe he has earned yet. Give him a 1 year "show me what you can do" for a full season in the NHL before asking for a good contract.

I don't think we know that yet. For now all we seem to know is that the Canucks asked him to be patient and that they are on the same page.
As for wanting out of Calgary - he seemed unable to get out of Hartley's dog house and just never found his game and confidence. For Benning and Linden to both talk about bringing him in an environment where he can enjoy the game again is a pretty strong indication that it wasn't a pleasant environment for him anymore. Post-trade Green has commented extensively on needing to rebuild his confidence. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask out under these conditions.
Craig Button (who really likes Sven and thinks it's a very good move by Vancouver) went on the air early April to suggest that Burke and Hartley just didn't like him and that Calgary had to accept that he would never reach his potential under their current regime. Quote: "some coaches prefer one player over another that's going to happen and sometimes as an organisation you have to recognise that and move on as well". It starts at the 34:40 mark: https://soundcloud.c....hour-2#t=34:40

Are you his agent? Because it sure seems like you know EXACTLY what is going on with negotiations. Your guess is as good as the rest of us CHAMP. Man there sure is a lot of you "Know it alls" on this board, Wow!

Nope and I don't have to be his agent to be able to understand the information you ignore. You just continue to vilify SB and his agent for being hard to deal with because he wanted to leave Calgary for the same reason any of us would given the same situation.

Can you provide a link to this information?

It's somewhere in this pile of crap that is a thread. There are tweets about the Canucks and his camp agreeing on a term and number, just need to make room.

Look for it yourself, troll. Instead of asking for proof while you insinuate that the kid is being greedy without proof. Lots of players don't accept their qualifying offer. Grenier didn't, do you hate him too?

VANCOUVER SUN: Elliott Pap reports the Canucks are locked in a contract stalemate with the Sedin twins after they rejected the club's one-year, $1.24 million qualifying offers, and could spend all of next season playing in Sweden regardless of the NHL CBA status. GM Dave Nonis suggested he might look for replacements should the twins sign with MoDo in Sweden

Just a reminder for those saying the kid is greedy, or attacking his character.

VANCOUVER SUN: Elliott Pap reports the Canucks are locked in a contract stalemate with the Sedin twins after they rejected the club's one-year, $1.24 million qualifying offers, and could spend all of next season playing in Sweden regardless of the NHL CBA status. GM Dave Nonis suggested he might look for replacements should the twins sign with MoDo in Sweden

Just a reminder for those saying the kid is greedy, or attacking his character.

This ^^^ situation is neither unusual nor unexpected. It happens all the time.

Baertschi will not be in the hall of fame like the twins. But it's likely they will come to an agreement. If not, arbitration would likely be in the canucks favor.

It seems to me Baertschi won't be eligible for arbitration for another season.

1. He'd have had to elect arbitration by July 5 if eligible: CBA s 12.2. The team would have had to have elected no later than July 6: CBA s 12.4

2. For Baertsci to elect arbitration or for the Canucks to have elected arbitration he'd need to have 4 professional experience: CBA s 12.1(a) and ( b.)

He signed his first contract July 5, 2011: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=Sven+Baertschi&Team=&BeginDate=&EndDate=&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Searchat which time he was 18, though he turned 19 later that year.

Professional experience for 18-19 year olds is defined as 10 or more NHL games in the year. For 20+ year olds it is defined as playing 10 or more professional games under a standard player contract: CBA s 12.1(a).

Based on those definitions Baertschi has three years professional experience, meeting both the 10 NHL game and 10 professonal game requirement for the first time in 2012-13. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120612

From the CBA:

12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.

(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set

forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1('b) below:

First SPC Signing Age Minimum Level of Professional

Experience Required to be

Eligible for Salary Arbitration

18-20 4 years professional experience

21 3 years professional experience

22-23 2 years professional experience

24 and older 1 year professional experience

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL

Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and

December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional

experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.

( 'b) Only Players who qualify as Restricted Free Agents as described in Section 10.2

of this Agreement, who meet the qualifications in Section 12.1(a) above, and who have not

signed an Offer Sheet are eligible either to elect salary arbitration or be subject to a Club-elected

salary arbitration.

('c) As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a

Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he first signs an SPC regardless of

his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

12.2 Notice of Player Election of Salary Arbitration.

A Player (or a Player's Certified Agent, acting on the Player's behalf) electing salary

arbitration must do so by making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing

the form attached hereto as Exhibit 23, to Central Registry, the NHLPA and the Player's Club by

not later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 5 in the League Year in which such Player is

eligible for salary arbitration.

12.3 Eligibility for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration. Subject to subsections © and (d) below

and the eligibility requirements set forth in Article 12.1, a Club will have the right to elect to take

a Player to salary arbitration under the following conditions:

12.4 Notice of Club Election.

(a) A Club electing salary arbitration pursuant to Section 12.3(a) above must do so by

making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing the form attached hereto

as Exhibit 22, to the parties listed in Section © below by not later than 5:00 p.m. New York time

on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals in the League

Year prior to the League Year for which the Club seeks to determine a Player's Paragraph 1

Salary by salary arbitration.

('b) A Club electing salary arbitration pursuant to Section 12.3('b) above must do so by

making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing the form attached hereto

as Exhibit 22, to the parties listed in Section © below, during the period commencing upon the

Player's deadline to select salary arbitration and continuing for 24 hours thereafter (i.e.,

commencing July 5 at 5:00 p.m. New York time and ending July 6 at 5:00 p.m. New York time).

Has anyone else noticed that Thomas Jurco has just signed (re-signed, RFA like Baer) for two years at $900,000 per?

15 pts in 36 games the year before last which is pretty similar to our boy. 18 points playing pretty much a full year last year in the NHL It was a bit of a down year, but a year in the NHL still beats a year in the AHL and being traded from a negotiating position standpoint?

Is that Jakes face in that sig? Its not a great photo shop...

The real question is: Would Baertschi be fine with that?

I think he deserves a million something.

I think 900 is fair considering where he is in his career and what others of his caliber are getting. Maybe what he wants and what he deserves are 2 different things.

Thomas Jurco is getting under a million, i would think that baer would get similar, short term bridge contract for low money. If you would ask who I would rather have, i'd save Jurco as he's got better stats and a bigger body of work at this point in time.

Archived