The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer

jono2009

Aside from the fact that you don't have a clue how the Swiss tax system works or that the cost of living there is ridiculously high, why in the hell would you assume Sven is going to run away to a place where he would effectively be throwing away his career?

He could just play in the NHL until this contract is up and then cash in. God damn that is the stupidest thing I've read in a while.

You don't think he'd go to Europe? Well the Flames sure do/did when the traded him.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-gm-baertschi-requested-a-trade-said-he-wouldnt-re-sign

If he had requested a move out of Calgary and told them he wouldn't be back, chances are he's looked long and hard at plan "B"

The guy knows what he wants in terms of money, term and playing spot. If Benning doesn't give it to him, chances are he has plan "B" good to go.

And you have to wonder what's going through Benning's head. Do I give him what he wants? Or do I let a guy that I just traded a 2nd round pick for and have hyped since I traded for him spend next year in Europe? That second option sure wouldn't help a GM that is already pretty unpopular with fans because of his questionable moves.

It's looking worse as the days go by, Vancouver is tight on the cap and they need room to play with during the season and Baertschi will obviously want more than $1M and The Province says they have $1.97M remaining.

i thought we had 2.8 remaining. What am i missing.

The Province article is incorrect as a couple of the comments there pointed out. That article counts the performance bonus that Horvat could potentially earn as if it were salary. That is not correct. Teams can exceed the cap by the amount of the bonus. If the player does not qualify for the bonus (as usually happens) there is no effect. If the player does qualify for the bonus and there is room under the cap in the current year, it counts in that year. If there is insufficient room for it to count against the cap for the current year, then it counts against the cap for the following year. (See p. 281 of the CBA). Horvat has a performance bonus of $850,000.

Therefore, if we do not count the performance bonus, the Canucks have an extra 850K of cap room. Virtanen also has a performance bonus. In total, if the performance bonuses do not count the Canucks have $2.8 million in cap room. The Canucks do have that space available, but if performance bonuses are earned, then they would lose some cap room next year.

You don't think he'd go to Europe? Well the Flames sure do/did when the traded him.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-gm-baertschi-requested-a-trade-said-he-wouldnt-re-sign

If he had requested a move out of Calgary and told them he wouldn't be back, chances are he's looked long and hard at plan "B"

The guy knows what he wants in terms of money, term and playing spot. If Benning doesn't give it to him, chances are he has plan "B" good to go.

And you have to wonder what's going through Benning's head. Do I give him what he wants? Or do I let a guy that I just traded a 2nd round pick for and have hyped since I traded for him spend next year in Europe? That second option sure wouldn't help a GM that is already pretty unpopular with fans because of his questionable moves.

You are making way too many assumptions. The only thing he said is that he is not signing with them. Max Reinhart told them the same thing and he got moved with way less fuss to Nashville. GMs are not going to block a player's career out of spite - it just doesn't work that way. If someone asks for a trade there is a very high likelihood that they will oblige but will try and get some value back.

This is a guy that moved alone as a teenager to a foreign country where he didn't speak the language because his dream has always been to play in the NHL. He doesn't even return to Switzerland in the off-season but trained in Calgary last year and now in Vancouver with the Canucks staff.

The past years he has often been asked about being sent to the AHL and his answer has always been that his only focus is to keep on improving because his goal is to play in the NHL. He also has said that he can't complain about his situation because at the end of the day he gets to earn a living playing the sport he loves.

He could have just as easily returned to Switzerland after these demotions but he endured and ultimately asked for a trade as he was unable to built any confidence while in the Flames system. There are multiple reports and takes on Sven this year by Mike Johnston, Travis Green and others on how important it is for a skilled guy like him to be confident to play his game and how he is hardly suited to play a grinders role and how he looked tentative even in Adirondack.

On a side note (as it's been raise in this thread), it's hardly an attitude issue to ask for a trade but more recognising that the relationship isn't working and that it's time to move on. See comments by Benning and Linden about bringing him in an environment where he can enjoy the game again or even the one of Craig Button saying that he desperately needed a change of scenery because some coaches just don't like some players - it happens. I doubt Button would make such a statement if there was not some truth to it - he also talked about the Flames realising that their current regime of Burke/Hartley was not a fit for Sven to reach his potential.

As for making demands on his role on the team, you must have not caught when Travis Green insisted (his words) that this is a guy that doesn't expect anything to be given to him, it's not in his character.

I'm going to assume that the report is correct and that they need to clear cap space to sign Sven to a multi year deal

I'm guessing that the move would involve asking a player to waive his no trade clause

This would be the time to ask someone to waive

They have the summer to relocate and time to sort things out

Burrows in my opinion is the odd man out on the move

He would actually be a player that other teams may want and could be moved for a couple picks

Sedin Sedin vrbata

Baertshi bonino virtanen

Higgins Horvat hansen

Dorset vey prust

Kenins

He would also be very unpopular if he over paid for an unproven prospect too. He really has no bargaining power as he has not proven anything yet. Hodgson was expected to be something too, look where he is. If he is going to be difficult with his first contract with the Canucks whats he going to be like on his next one? I forsee problems with him down the road.

If he is going to be difficult with his first contract with the Canucks whats he going to be like on his next one? I forsee problems with him down the road.

And how do you know it's Baertschi holding things up and not management?

Don't assume that it's his end being difficult. Benning may be the one dragging his feet because he's unsure about the cap.

Can't comment on what we don't know.

Heh, where were you 8 pages ago? They're all full of people talking about what we don't know. There'd be a lot of dead air on The 1040 in the hours between 6 and 10 too.

And how do you know it's Baertschi holding things up and not management?

Don't assume that it's his end being difficult. Benning may be the one dragging his feet because he's unsure about the cap.

Did they not offer him a contract? Judging from the contracts he has handed out so far Benning is NOT cheap with his players. These are pieces of information that we know for sure. Baertschi's intentions are the unknown but we know he has not got along with previous Management teams(Calgary) as well. It appears Baertschi seems to think he is worth more than what teams are willing to offer him.

Heh, where were you 8 pages ago? They're all full of people talking about what we don't know. There'd be a lot of dead air on The 1040 in the hours between 6 and 10 too.

People are getting angry at either side as if we know what is going on lol. Half these people are now coming to the conclusion that Sven has an attitude problem and is going to skip overseas...

Based on researching BC's income tax rate (roughly), a 1 million dollar salary see the player take home about 550K

While I'm unsure what Swiss rates are, I believe they don't pay much, if any income tax.

Raffi Diaz made around 600K a few years ago playing in the Swiss League. I have to think that Sven Baertschi could get that at home, so I have to wonder why he wouldn't just play at home and make more money if The Canucks aren't willing to pay him at least 1.25 million.

This also explains why he won't be signing his QO, as it was only about 900K

My guess, we see him signing for two years, 2.6 million (1.3 cap hit)

Don't forget the agent's cut (maybe 4% or 5%) and escrow, which might cut 5% to 10% off salaries this year depending on league revenues.

Also, BC tax law applies only if Baertschi is legally resident in BC for tax purposes. I don't think he is, at least not for the full year.

However, one advantage to signing a contract now for no more than he would get in Europe is that he will have a shot a really big money in the NHL within a few years -- maybe as early as next year if he signs a one-year contract. That is unlikely to happen if he goes to Europe.

And the Canucks have plenty of room to sign him under the cap at present. No way he gets more than 1.5 million per year even on a multi-year deal and probably he gets closer to 1 million. There is plenty of room for that.

I wonder if the Canucks are holding things up while they try to clear salary in some way (HIggins?) to try to go after a UFA.

But, realistically, I have no idea what is going on wth the Baertschi negotiations. Maybe Benning is taking a holiday. He probably needs one by now.

Did they not offer him a contract? Judging from the contracts he has handed out so far Benning is NOT cheap with his players. These are pieces of information that we know for sure. Baertschi's intentions are the unknown but we know he has not got along with previous Management teams(Calgary) as well. It appears Baertschi seems to think he is worth more than what teams are willing to offer him.

A qualifying offer is much different than an actual contract offer. It doesn't involve negotiations. So no they haven't.

Management likely expected him to reject his qualifying offer. It was simply made to retain his rights.

It has nothing to do with him thinking he's worth more, it has to do with him negotiating a fair contract. Which would be a one way in the ball park of 850k-1.1 million.

If he is going to be difficult with his first contract with the Canucks whats he going to be like on his next one?

80% of NHL players don't accept the qualifying offer. It's not being difficult.it's the status quo.

I've been told Benning is playing hardball and doesn't seem to be in a rush to sign immediately. Haven't heard anything more then that, but it makes you wonder if something else is in the works.

who told you that? Trevor linden at the summit? Haha

Archived