The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Just a feeling that eventually the Canucks will join their other Pacific Division rivals and place their AHL team out west.  Arizona recently announced that they are purchasing the AHL franchise in Springfield, MA and plan to move it to Tuscon, AZ which makes Vancouver the only Pacific team with an AHL farm team in the east.  I think it's a matter of time before they join their rivals and I still think California makes the most sense.

There were some rumors about a new arena but as far as I know they are only rumors and they have quieted down recently. 

I suppose that is possible. AHL has a unbalanced sched as well. I still prefer Utica because of the wasted travel time.

21 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Just a feeling that eventually the Canucks will join their other Pacific Division rivals and place their AHL team out west.  Arizona recently announced that they are purchasing the AHL franchise in Springfield, MA and plan to move it to Tuscon, AZ which makes Vancouver the only Pacific team with an AHL farm team in the east.  I think it's a matter of time before they join their rivals and I still think California makes the most sense.

There were some rumors about a new arena but as far as I know they are only rumors and they have quieted down recently. 

I hope you're wrong about the Canucks moving their farm team to somewhere in the Pacific Time Zone.  

IMHO, Abbotsford was a failed experiment (obviously for different reasons) and the costs of operating the team in the Fraser Valley won't make economic sense (travel costs in terms of time and money will be high) for the CSE and I can see the other teams demanding that the Canucks pick up some of the costs for them to travel to Abbotsford (and anywhere in the Metro Vancouver area for that matter)...I also remember standing in the customs line up at YVR with Jim Playfair and a bunch of Heat players for 2.5 hours trying to clear customs.  

And if the Canucks had a team in California, the only airports with direct flights to YVR would be LAX, SFO and Palm Springs (meaning players may still have to do the milk run to get to Vancouver).  Logistically, I don't see it happening...I've been wrong more times than I've been right in my lifetime, so who knows what is going to happen.  I just hope Canucks keep the farm team in Utica.

Strictly from a fans perspective i think it would be criminal to move the team from Utica....have you seen the support at the home games in the finals??? Its out of control.

That is the type of support that helps teams win games, players want to play in front of that sort of atmosphere. They don't "mail it in" when the building is going off.

Great fans inspire teams and players, and thats what the Canucks need for their rising stars.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Just like when the Ducks stole Carlyle from right under our nose.

Luckily we still got AV.

Willie ain't no AV.  I hope TG is one of those crazy loyal kind of guys who sees his part in the bigger picture and sticks it out another year before moving into the HC job in Van........with the players he developed.

Just now, stawns said:

Willie ain't no AV.  I hope TG is one of those crazy loyal kind of guys who sees his part in the bigger picture and sticks it out another year before moving into the HC job in Van........with the players he developed.

Yea that was the scenario I hope plays out, unfortunately too many teams are taking notice of Green.

If he can make it through this season without getting poached, I think he definitely gets promoted next season. And yea it would be like with AV where he went on to continue coaching the guys he developed in the A.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea that was the scenario I hope plays out, unfortunately too many teams are taking notice of Green.

If he can make it through this season without getting poached, I think he definitely gets promoted next season. And yea it would be like with AV where he went on to continue coaching the guys he developed in the A.

If I were a rookie coach, I'd be thinking twice about taking my first big league gig with a team that has underachieved and has more than a couple vets with big time egos.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It would be, for sure.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If I were a rookie coach, I'd be thinking twice about taking my first big league gig with a team that has underachieved and has more than a couple vets with big time egos.

Yea there's definitely something lacking in Anaheim it can't all just be Boudreau.

Hopefully Green is looking for an opportunity with a young team he can grow with rather than a team of vets already set in their ways.

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yea there's definitely something lacking in Anaheim it can't all just be Boudreau.

Hopefully Green is looking for an opportunity with a young team he can grow with rather than a team of vets already set in their ways.

There are a few of those too, Calgary for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

So out of curiosity, I just took a look at the AHL and Calder Cup playoffs.  

Utica ranked 7th in the Eastern Conference.  

Then Utica bowed out in first round, lost series 3-1 in best of 5 to New Jersey.  So can someone help me understand what all the hype about Travis Green is?    

2 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Then Utica bowed out in first round, lost series 3-1 in best of 5 to New Jersey.  So can someone help me understand what all the hype about Travis Green is?    

The Devils are also going 7 games with the best team in the league this season.

The Devils had solid goaltending, the Comets did not. Green could only do so much with a team that just didn't have very good depth. It was impressive he got as much out of them as he did.

7 hours ago, Neversummer said:

I would say that the job Travis Green did this season was more impressive than last year when he took the Comets to the Calder Cup finals. The roster he had to work with had no business even making the playoffs. At one point down the stretch in March the Comets had to dress 9 ECHL journeymen on PTOs just to be able to put 18 skaters on the ice. Vancouver traded Hunter Shinkaruk the Comets leading scorer and then we lost literally half a team to call ups and injuries but somehow managed to keep winning against the teams that were chasing us down the stretch.  In the playoffs we still had to dress 4 PTOs against a much bigger,  more physical and skilled team and still managed to win one game for the home crowd.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Devils are also going 7 games with the best team in the league this season.

The Devils had solid goaltending, the Comets did not. Green could only do so much with a team that just didn't have very good depth. It was impressive he got as much out of them as he did.

Was there any reason why Demko did not go to Utica? I know a lot of players who signed deals went to their ahl clubs to finish the year off. Not saying he would be given starter duties. I know he took time before signing and wouldnt have left much time to practice etc, but even being around that team could have been good going in to next year no?

He was not injured I dont believe, and can not blame it on fatigue either. Just a curiousity question why he wasnt around the team after his season was over.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

Was there any reason why Demko did not go to Utica? I know a lot of players who signed deals went to their ahl clubs to finish the year off. Not saying he would be given starter duties. I know he took time before signing and wouldnt have left much time to practice etc, but even being around that team could have been good going in to next year no?

He was not injured I dont believe, and can not blame it on fatigue either. Just a curiousity question why he wasnt around the team after his season was over.

I don't think he signed his contract until after the Comets' season was over.

It's not like he'd have been sitting around doing nothing, he was invited to the Worlds. Sure, he hasn't played, but he wouldn't have probably in Utica either and you never know. You chose the Worlds in that situation every time.

Archived