The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why no love for Bonino?

VIC_CITY

We trade a loonie for 4 quarters! He's way to slow and doesn't have skill/grit/hockey sense to make up for it. Pretty much useless out there. If we're gonna tank and rebuild this team, I wanna see him traded and give a young kid some experience. McCann/cassels or whoever comes to camp and impresses

Forget that you don't know anything about hockey beyond face value and eye-candies, your logic is also hilarious. If he's so terrible as you said, would it be better to keep him as 2C to tank?

Judging by all of your posts, you seem like a glorified troll.

And not a very good one at it.

He is good two way, but he is not excellent two way, or even great two way. The thing is, we do pay the dude 1.9 million dollars. I would argue that dollar for dollar, Nick Bonino may be the best player on the team for what he brings. (Excluding rookie contracts) The thing is, he, much like Higgins, when charged with shutting down top lines, they get exposed often. They're not bad, but in this league, if you want to be a playoff team, just being 'good' especially in a crucial role like this, will have you on the outside looking in. It was good that we had depth allthroughout the team to recover from it. Plus, it's important for a player in his role to be able to win draws and gain puck possession. Naturally the 2nd line center will get more minutes, and it would be nice if we started out with the puck consistently.

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Vey

Kenins Prust Hansen

(Higgins, Dorsett)

I like that team, and it works well for Bonino. Dorsett Hansen and Vey are interchangable for chemistry needs As are Burrows Kenins and Higgins. Prust can actually play center, which I would like to have in a bottom 6 role over Vey. This lineup really emphasizes getting each young guy with a hardworking vet or 2 that can lead them along the way. Perhaps even more important is it puts Bonino in a good chance to succeed where he isn't so heavily focused on for his offensive punch. If Bonino can put up similar results he did this year, but in a 3c role, this team can seriously be great, and will be playoff bound.

Of course this lineup is dependent on the new Second Line. Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata can be an effective second line in this league. To me, they are very similar in makeup to Calgary's Gaudreau-Monohan-Hudler line, which we say first hand can be effective. Bonino and Horvat will duke it out for the 2c spot, but I think Bonino will actualy succeed more on the third line. Still, the 2c spot is Bonino's to lose, but Horvat is coming...

That's pretty close to the lineup I hope for. I'm just not sure if the 2nd line has enough grit and puck retrieval ability, not knowing Baertschi well enough. Vrbata is a good checker, but I thought he struggled to get in deep and come up with a puck the way that Burr used to do so well. It's still my preference.

Bonino is a beauty. We got to take having an unbelievable PK for granted this year. And he can wire it. I am so sick of having a team of muffin-shooters. I love that Benning is prioritizing shooting ability. If Bonino could win a faceoff, then his line could have the puck and we'd all give him more love. I hope that's what he works on this summer.

He is good two way, but he is not excellent two way, or even great two way. The thing is, we do pay the dude 1.9 million dollars. I would argue that dollar for dollar, Nick Bonino may be the best player on the team for what he brings. (Excluding rookie contracts) The thing is, he, much like Higgins, when charged with shutting down top lines, they get exposed often. They're not bad, but in this league, if you want to be a playoff team, just being 'good' especially in a crucial role like this, will have you on the outside looking in. It was good that we had depth allthroughout the team to recover from it. Plus, it's important for a player in his role to be able to win draws and gain puck possession. Naturally the 2nd line center will get more minutes, and it would be nice if we started out with the puck consistently.

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Vey

Kenins Prust Hansen

(Higgins, Dorsett)

I like that team, and it works well for Bonino. Dorsett Hansen and Vey are interchangable for chemistry needs As are Burrows Kenins and Higgins. Prust can actually play center, which I would like to have in a bottom 6 role over Vey. This lineup really emphasizes getting each young guy with a hardworking vet or 2 that can lead them along the way. Perhaps even more important is it puts Bonino in a good chance to succeed where he isn't so heavily focused on for his offensive punch. If Bonino can put up similar results he did this year, but in a 3c role, this team can seriously be great, and will be playoff bound.

Of course this lineup is dependent on the new Second Line. Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata can be an effective second line in this league. To me, they are very similar in makeup to Calgary's Gaudreau-Monohan-Hudler line, which we say first hand can be effective. Bonino and Horvat will duke it out for the 2c spot, but I think Bonino will actualy succeed more on the third line. Still, the 2c spot is Bonino's to lose, but Horvat is coming...

Maybe we end the season with lines kinda that (with Jake in junior, though) but dont be surprised when we start the season like this:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Higgins, Bonino, Vrbata

Sven, Bo, Hansen

Prust,Vey, Dorsett

Forget that you don't know anything about hockey beyond face value and eye-candies, your logic is also hilarious. If he's so terrible as you said, would it be better to keep him as 2C to tank? it.

No cuz I'm not going spend money and re-new my tickets to see the same old, same old. I'd rather lose and see the new blood, the new future... The bartechi's - horvats - Virtanens - cassels - McCann's - Shinkaruk's. New young players bring hope and entertainment and something worth paying to see. Bonino doesn't do that for me and every time I watch him I just get so frustrated, trade him now. He's a glorified 4th line centre that the canucks staff are trying to sell as a #2.

Hate to say it...this unexciting progression describes 75% of the team heading into the 2015 season.

I foresee a greater struggle with the current roster...unless, a player or two from Utica surprises the fan base.

Watched the Calder cup finals and the Monarchs had killer speed...Weal will be an upcoming player for LA.

Speed with hockey sense and mental toughness is boss.

We've got a lot's of exciting young players who will cause all sorts of ruckus (good and bad) out on the ice coming in over the next couple years. You need to balance that with 'unexciting' players that simply do their jobs/cover for those exciting rookies to keep from becoming the Oilers of the last ~decade.

"Struggle with the current roster"... did you not get the memo? We're not a contending team anymore. Yes, that means the team's going to struggle for wins.

I think Anaheim has been shipping out players they don't want to party with and have been bringing in players they do want to party with. The totally wtf signing of SOB is proof positive imho.

Could be. But Dmen are different....a team will take on some veteran depth for cheap, even if the guy is a nutbar. Apparently.

Bonino is a beauty. We got to take having an unbelievable PK for granted this year. And he can wire it. I am so sick of having a team of muffin-shooters. I love that Benning is prioritizing shooting ability. If Bonino could win a faceoff, then his line could have the puck and we'd all give him more love. I hope that's what he works on this summer.

In terms of balancing shooters, passers and physical guys I'd probably do:

Burr - Hank - Vrbata (grit - passing - sniper, with Hank as the glue guy)

Danny - Bones - Jake (passing - two-way/ sniper - PF sniper)

Sven - Bo - Hansen (passing - two-way - all-round guy, plus SPEED)

Bones is a decent shooter, and I think those line-mates could really help the line elevate as a whole (other grit guys e.g. Higgins, and play-makers e.g. Vey, are still around to fill in but that's a decent top-6 if I say so myself).

Bones is a character guy and let Horvat borrow his car. This alone makes him worth keeping.

Positives: Wicked on the PK, has a nice wrister, long stick.

Negatives: Lack of speed, cant win faceoffs, seems to fatigue as the game wears on.

Overall though he should be a 3rd C, he gets flak because we put him in a scoring role because we dont really have anyone else ready for the 2c as of yet.

I don't get the hate for Bonino, he was slightly worse than Kesler, both playing the tough shut down role against teams top offensive lines in key situations.

Horvat was only our shut down guy when we were up or down 2 goals.

Boninos faceoff % was worse because he was facing the best in the league night in and night out... It really irks me that most of CDC cannot properly assess talent on their team. -_- Bonino is a decent shut down centre.

I don't get the hate for Bonino, ...

A few possibilities:

1. He went on a long dry spell after a quick start and fans on CDC aren't crazy about dry spells, whether they come about from playing hurt, coaching (ie the hate for Edler and Burrows in 2013-14 and early season 2014-15.)

2. He's essentially the anti-Matthias in some ways. Matthias had size and speed and LOOKED really impressive at times. Bonino isn't big, isn't fast, plays a smart game that only people watching him carefully will appreciate much of the time and he will never look as impressive as Shawn Matthias, even though he's a more effective player.

3. A few of the people that considered the return on the Kesler trade insufficient may be emotionally invested in Bonino being crap, so they'll consider him crap.

4. A few of the people that didn't like the Kesler trade are reminded of it, to their pain, every time they see or hear of Bonino.

Those last two are probably a minority of those that didn't like the Kesler trade, but imo in all controversial trades there are some with those reactions.

Archived