The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Virtanen and Baertschi have what it takes to be first liners?

Gretzky to Lemieux

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think they both have 1st line potential, but realistically Baertschi will be a 20-30 goal, 60-70 point scorer at the very best and Virtanen would be lucky to score 30 goals and 60 points.

Realistically, Virtanen will become a staple on our 2nd line, Baertschi has better first-line potential and Boeser will probably be in the same line as Virtanen potential-wise. The problem is, if we don't have anyone else who can play any better, Baertschi and Virtanen will likely HAVE to be our future first liners. Like it or not, they're our future star wingers now, we can't afford to invest any more in our wingers.

Baertschi - ? - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - ?

Kenins - Cassels - Shinkaruk

I, absolutely, believe both players have what it takes to become elite players in the NHL.

Baertschi has the potential to put up higher numbers than Virtanen but Jake should become the more rounded player bringing it on all sides of the puck. I don't know that they'll ever be on the same line but both could be anchors for this team in their own ways.

As it's been sayed a lot already; time will tell.

So far this is what we know:

Virtanen can lay the smack down on opponents. Clearly, this is something we need, a tough, speedy, dont give a F*** type of player. Give me these guys over the soft euros we have been drafting for the last 15 years and I will be happy.

I'm pretty happy we drafted the Sedins and Edler. We've drafted some "soft" Canadians too, like Mason Raymond...

How about we avoid the racism and just say we're happy that we can add a player like Virtanen to the mix?

I'm pretty happy we drafted the Sedins and Edler. We've drafted some "soft" Canadians too, like Mason Raymond...

How about we avoid the racism and just say we're happy that we can add a player like Virtanen to the mix?

I never quite understood why people always say soft euros. as if all Canadian hockey players are tough. last time I checked. there have been some really good "soft" players. and they've got Lord Stanley. not sure we can say the same thing. toughness alone doesn't win you much. let alone the Stanley cup. a mix of quality types of players do.

Solely based on the fact they were both first round picks, I voted yes. I operate on the assumption that nhl scouts are better scouts than me.

I really love the JV pick. Sure ehlers may be putting up good numbers, but I'd put my money on the local kid when it comes to team commitment, dedication and sacrifice. The perfect pick when you're looking for character and future core.

Honestly, I have my doubts about Baer's ceiling but it's really too soon for me to have an opinion.

Why are you guys reacting so angrily? I know that it might be too early to tell but I just want to see if you guys think they could be first liners with the stats they are putting up RIGHT NOW.

Virtanen will be an absolutely solid NHL player for years. He's an athlete like Dustin Brown in terms of size nd speed, with a better shot. Whether that translates into a top line sniper, like with Brown (whom they said the same things about coming from junior) is debateable. The point is we got a key piece who has a high % chance of being a solid contributor for years.

Yes Ehlers has a higher upside. But also has a need to have players like Virtanen around him to make room or he would not be successful either. Ehlers is not a McKinnon or Forseberg who has the skills AND the raw size, strength and athletic ability to project him as a generational talent. They could both end up having equal value even if (and that is an if, although probable) if Ehlers scores more.

I personally would have picked Nylander. Who has similar skills to Ehlers, but plays pivot, projects less as a one dimensional player and has a component of strength to his game even though he is small. But that by no means suggests I am disappointed in Jake's selection.

edit: poor choice of words on Brown a top line sniper ^ up there. What I meant was a top line player like Brown, and also a sniper which Brown has not really become.

So far this is what we know:

Virtanen can lay the smack down on opponents. Clearly, this is something we need, a tough, speedy, dont give a F*** type of player. Give me these guys over the soft euros we have been drafting for the last 15 years and I will be happy.

The top scoring players for the Canucks all time are "soft" Euros. Not to mention our "soft" Euro d-man Ohlund who I am pretty sure was one of the Canucks best D-men. Details are overrated any way. :rolleyes:

I never quite understood why people always say soft euros. as if all Canadian hockey players are tough. last time I checked. there have been some really good "soft" players. and they've got Lord Stanley. not sure we can say the same thing. toughness alone doesn't win you much. let alone the Stanley cup. a mix of quality types of players do.

If there were no for the tough guys there would be no cups for the soft guys. Reality hurts doesn't it people?

IMO, and its only that, is Baertschi will be a 2knd line winger or not make it. He has more explosive quickness and skill than Shinkaruk for example. Which creates more opportunities because Sven's skill level is pretty dynamic. But we also see Hunter winning board battles and fore-checking. I suppose Baertschi could become a 1st line winger? I do think he will play in the NHL for several years as a second line winger. If that counts as making it?

I just think we just have to see that compete level. competing harder in all facets of the game. That would see him through as more than a second line winger on an average team for a few years? Upping that compete level could cement a full career as a 2knd liner. My actual projection. Guys tend to learn at about 22 that they just have to up their game at the NHL level. Instead of a guy who makes it then fades away. Really its up to him.

Vey is kind of similar to Baertschi in that regard I would suggest. But a notch down on the speed & explosive quickness. A lower chance.

Jake, based on his athleticism, speed and brute strength will make it in my opinion. Added to the fact he plays with gusto!

Jake I project a long career as a great 2knd liner who dabbles with top line stuff. But of course I also hope for more.

Shinkaruk has the skills and has the heart! Does he have the athleticism? I defeinitely view his chance as better than Vey's.

Not to be putting weird idea's in peoples heads; but I think a team like Chicago (advance Hunter 2 years, and pair him with guys at last years level) would love to have a Hunter Shinkaruk on their 3rdline with say an Andrew Shaw & Bryan Bickel? Or move forward two years; with Marko Dano & Anisimov??

Just making the point their will be room for Hunter's game IMO.

This is close to my opinion of what the all-prospect Canuck line up might look like.

As for forwards, I'm happy. With the addition of Boeser, I think there is the potential for a complete top 6. Mind you, that's only potential. Someone may not make it and someone else may surprise. As for 1st line, 2nd line, it's hard to say where anybody will fit in 5 years.

Add to the list Brisbois on defense.

Also, some players who may not be considered pure prospects may be around for a long time like Tanev, 26 this year.

And then there's Linden Vey. Seriously, I'm expecting a breakout year from him this year. Whether he fits the long term plans of the Canucks I don't know but by Christmas, some may have forgotten his sometimes shaky rookie season. How's that for sticking my neck out?

That's right I completely forgot about Brisebois and Tanev. That improves our defense a little bit but I still believe we need to focus our attention on D in the next couple of drafts to hopefully snatch some studs. Quality over quantity. I don't know if Vey is in the plans long term. He's the kind of tweener that has a hard time fitting in on an NHL team. He doesn't have enough talent to play in the top 6 and he's too soft to play in the bottom 6. I hope he proves me wrong and finds another gear next year that could make me believe he has top 6 potential.

Solely based on the fact they were both first round picks, I voted yes. I operate on the assumption that nhl scouts are better scouts than me.

I really love the JV pick. Sure ehlers may be putting up good numbers, but I'd put my money on the local kid when it comes to team commitment, dedication and sacrifice. The perfect pick when you're looking for character and future core.

Honestly, I have my doubts about Baer's ceiling but it's really too soon for me to have an opinion.

There are definitely doubts on Bartchi that's why we got him for a second round pick. He played really well in the Calder cup run though that's a great sign.

Virtanen will be a third liner, Ehlers will be a high scoring first line winger, and Nylander will be a superstar winger for most of his career.

This is incredible. Could you please help me with my pool? I want to know how many points to expect this year from Hodgson, Connelly, Tambellini, and Santarelli (you probably know where he will sign).

Also, when will Max Domi make the league, and how good will he become?

Will Brayden Schenn break-out, or is he a bust?

Is Viktor Stalberg gonna make it back to the NHL?

What will the Vegas team be named?

This is incredible. Could you please help me with my pool? I want to know how many points to expect this year from Hodgson, Connelly, Tambellini, and Santarelli (you probably know where he will sign).

Also, when will Max Domi make the league, and how good will he become?

Will Brayden Schenn break-out, or is he a bust?

Is Viktor Stalberg gonna make it back to the NHL?

What will the Vegas team be named?

No idea, bud.

Nationalism, not racism

European or Canadian are not races

...yet

Archived