The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals Sign Ryan Stanton

Chris

Lol Stants doesn't bring toughness or grit the guys a steady 6/7 defenceman. He doesn't have the offence or defensive ability to be in a top 4 or be a shut down defenceman. He's average and everything he does is half decent. Might get a tad better but he's 26 and what you see is what you get more or less with him. Definitely replaceable.

I still think Stanton was better than Bartkowski though. However it's clear that WD didn't see a future for him here and so let him and Benning do as they please. Stanton should do just fine as a bottom pairing d man in Washington.

What...? Top four? You guys realize when you say top four your saying he has a shot at being a number one defenseman? Hey I LIKE Stanton, he was a plus player for us... But the best he could possibly be is a number three guy... Bottom four is the term your guys are trying to say. And most likely a bottom 2 to be quite honest, but a career in the NHL as a 5/6 defenseman is still a valuable spot.

Wow CDC @ best Ryan Stanton was a 6-7 th D man on a strong team. He was a top 4 on a canucks team. It shows you the depth of the team . People always saying the d man have to get bigger we traded Bieksa. Brought in Barkowski. Corrado , clendening. (Hamhuis Sbisa edler Weber top 4) Barkowski 5th d man w Clendening Corrado rounding up the 6 d men !! Best of luck Ryan #18

Wow CDC @ best Ryan Stanton was a 6-7 th D man on a strong team. He was a top 4 on a canucks team. It shows you the depth of the team . People always saying the d man have to get bigger we traded Bieksa. Brought in Barkowski. Corrado , clendening. (Hamhuis Sbisa edler Weber top 4) Barkowski 5th d man w Clendening Corrado rounding up the 6 d men !! Best of luck Ryan #18

Stanton was 8th on the Canucks. Nobody is getting past your first line if you say something dead wrong. Try to be a little bit thoughtful.

This clown^^^^^ talking about Benning going full retard is ironic. In what parallel universe is Stanton a top 4 d-man? This mental giant canuktravella keeps talking to himself in the mirror.

Back on topic...Letting Stanton walk is a head scratcher especially since he provided some grit while displaying some decent skills (albeit it wasn't top four skill sets). As well, Stanton competed hard, which was something I thought was revered by Benning and Willie. Guess Sbisa made Stanton redundant. Pity.

Perhaps the khl parallel universe

So you just read the words "top 4" and freaked out? I said he can become a top 4 d-man if he is used properly. His stats show that he's an okay 3rd pairing guy at the moment and he's still 25 years old.

I don't expect him to improve too much because he isn't a proven top 4 d-man and therefore he won't be trusted in a top 4 role by coaches (hence the "if he is used properly). But I still think of him as a potential top 4 in case of injuries or if he's playing on a slightly weak defensive team.

I think you and your unnecessary insults are more "unbearable" than "CDC". And I put CDC in quotations because because you don't seem to consider yourself a part of it.

It's pretty frustrating when posters call out Benning and his hockey knowledge and then follow it up with saying Stanton is a top 4 dman. The irony is rediculous and unbearable. Not saying that you are one of these posters (though you did say he has top 4 potential) but there seems to be a lot of clueless Canucks fans in this thread.

Did.. did.. did you just say Stanton brought us grit?

We talking the same guy here? He was NEVER "gritty", just did everything quietly and calmly. Gritty? You're thinking of someone else. Lumping Stanton together with Kassian and Bieksa lol......

Who do you ice against a Calgary line brawl? The Sedins. Want to know why? Nobody is going to "jump" the Sedins, you win the faceoff, go into the other end and score because Calgary has 3 enforcers on the ice. Jesus Christ, it's like you want a team full of plugs and Sestitos.

You've clearly never watched Stanton play.

All against guys who actually know how to or fight on a regular basis.

He has decent size too at 6'2 and about 200 pounds.

He isn't the toughest guy in the league, but he never backed down and stuck up for team mates.

After Bieksa, he was the only other grit we had on the blue line last year.

So yes, Stanton did bring us grit

I liked Stanton. Mistake not to re sign him. Caps gave him a two way contract, why couldn't the Canucks offer the same?

Hope Caps win the Cup next year. They've got a good chance. WSH vs ANA in the SCF. Would love to see OV win one.

Could the Canucks have offered the same contract? Yes, they could have. Why didn't they? Because it would be redundant and unnecessary.

The Canucks didn't have room on the roster and probably would have lost him to waivers.

He was a depth defenceman. D-E-P-T-H. He was not integral to the success of the Canucks in any way shape or form. Bartkowski is twice the player Stanton is and has a more dynamic and complimentary skillset anyway.

Could the Canucks have offered the same contract? Yes, they could have. Why didn't they? Because it would be redundant and unnecessary.

The Canucks didn't have room on the roster and probably would have lost him to waivers.

He was a depth defenceman. D-E-P-T-H. He was not integral to the success of the Canucks in any way shape or form. Bartkowski is twice the player Stanton is and has a more dynamic and complimentary skillset anyway.

I would have much rather had Stanton at 575K than Weber at 1.5 million.

Stanton is bigger AND a year younger.

I understand Weber brings a PP QB presence but we could've give that chance to Clendening.

You've clearly never watched Stanton play.

All against guys who actually know how to or fight on a regular basis.

He has decent size too at 6'2 and about 200 pounds.

He isn't the toughest guy in the league, but he never backed down and stuck up for team mates.

After Bieksa, he was the only other grit we had on the blue line last year.

So yes, Stanton did bring us grit

That word "grit" doesn't mean what you think it means.

The word you're looking for is toughness. Grit in the context of an NHL defenceman is someone who consistently plays with a physical edge, engages in contact along the boards and makes life a living hell in front of the net for opposing players.

Stanton played a soft, positional game and occasionally dropped the gloves when tempers boiled over. As a comparison for grit, Sbisa is a d-man that brings grit.

I would have much rather had Stanton at 575K than Weber at 1.5 million.

Stanton is bigger AND a year younger.

I understand Weber brings a PP QB presence but we could've give that chance to Clendening.

They play much different roles. Weber will be a mainstay on our power-play next season. Stanton's skillset is more easily replacable. It wasn't that hard of a decision for Benning and Linden to make.

That word "grit" doesn't mean what you think it means.

The word you're looking for is toughness. Grit in the context of an NHL defenceman is someone who consistently plays with a physical edge, engages in contact along the boards and makes life a living hell in front of the net for opposing players.

Stanton played a soft, positional game and occasionally dropped the gloves when tempers boiled over. As a comparison for grit, Sbisa is a d-man that brings grit.

Yeah, I don't think too many forwards have nightmares about playing Stanton.

I felt bad for him this year, hopefully he gets a playoff run out the deal.

Stanton did not see any icetime in the Playoffs. It seems like Benning and Desjardin also believe that Sbisa is better. Does that matter?

Well, its pretty blinking obvious they think Sbisa was better. He was re-signed. Stanton was not even qualified.

I remember Ryan Stanton having a very Tanev like eerie ability to just make the right play his rookie year. In spite of not having great skills or speed. Or size for that matter, I saw his signing weight as 208lbs in Wash. I guess he put on some weight, or my memory is bad. I remember him as around 195 lbs or something? In any case I also respected his will. I recall a tough game against TO in Dec or Jan a year and a half ago. Might have been the one where Kassian bust up Bolland and he hurt his Achilles (was it his Achilles?). And Stanton took on Phaneuf who is 20 lbs and a Cpl inches bigger. Like many Stanton fights he took a lot more than he threw.. Yet ended up throwing the last punch. Not like he knocked him down or really rocked Dion. I just admired that he stood in there!

Over time it became clear he was kinda standing in there from a hockey standpoint too.

It seems he probably was put in a lot of good situations by AV where he could handle what was going on. Particularly this last year, when he played in tougher situations he did not seem to have the same composure and made more mistakes. Perhaps he was also (I think he was) shaking off some injuries that would not go away.

Now Sbisa does make some of the same mistakes. Probably more often but he also plays more. And in tougher situations. But he also brings a substantial amount more speed and size. And can shoot. Clear bodies from the net & rattle peoples cages in the corners or in open ice. I do not think there is much call to say Stanton can compare with Sbisa; aside from admiration for the guys will?

I personally would have qualified him and brought him to camp. He would have to beat out Bartkowski. If he did not make the team, or clear waivers so be it. To me its a bit of a code where if a guy plays hard for you he gets a contract. But I suspect he would not have played here this year anyway.

edit: While I was typing this the 3 fights were posted off you tube. It was the Nolan fight where I recall him throwing the last punch after eating a fair few. But he did also pair off with Phaneuf.

Well, its pretty blinking obvious they think Sbisa was better. He was re-signed. Stanton was not even qualified.

I remember Ryan Stanton having a very Tanev like eerie ability to just make the right play his rookie year. In spite of not having great skills or speed. Or size for that matter, I saw his signing weight as 208lbs in Wash. I guess he put on some weight, or my memory is bad. I remember him as around 195 lbs or something? In any case I also respected his will. I recall a tough game against TO in Dec or Jan a year and a half ago. Might have been the one where Kassian bust up Bolland and he hurt his Achilles (was it his Achilles?). And Stanton took on Phaneuf who is 20 lbs and a Cpl inches bigger. Like many Stanton fights he took a lot more than he threw.. Yet ended up throwing the last punch. Not like he knocked him down or really rocked Dion. I just admired that he stood in there!

Over time it became clear he was kinda standing in there from a hockey standpoint too.

It seems he probably was put in a lot of good situations by AV where he could handle what was going on. Particularly this last year, when he played in tougher situations he did not seem to have the same composure and made more mistakes. Perhaps he was also (I think he was) shaking off some injuries that would not go away.

Now Sbisa does make some of the same mistakes. Probably more often but he also plays more. And in tougher situations. But he also brings a substantial amount more speed and size. And can shoot. Clear bodies from the net & rattle peoples cages in the corners or in open ice. I do not think there is much call to say Stanton can compare with Sbisa; aside from admiration for the guys will?

I personally would have qualified him and brought him to camp. He would have to beat out Bartkowski. If he did not make the team, or clear waivers so be it. To me its a bit of a code where if a guy plays hard for you he gets a contract. But I suspect he would not have played here this year anyway.

Is that sarcasm or ire? I was responding to N7Nucks facepalming a claim that Sbisa was better than Stanton.

I think Stanton at least earned the right to find other employment while there were still spots available.

Sbisa signing aside (which in 3 years I think he will be worth it), what Benning moves do you hate? Kesler gave him one team to deal with. Lack's market value is what it is, Carolina wasn't the only team he tried to deal with. Lack just wasn't worth as much as Canuck fans wanted. If Matthias hit or fought he may have been resigned but this team doesn't need another Pyatt who's big but plays the game soft, they need a roster spot for a young player. So what moves are you complaining about? IMO his drafting record will force a lot of fans to eat their words.

Overall I'm fine with benning moves, but there's 0 doubt in my mind that I would do a better job. Here's what I have a problem with.

Dors and sbisa contracts... Especially Lui's... It baffles me that he has 0 clue on what RFA means. Should take him to arbitration.

Kassian deal. I can't believe he gave a 5th on top of the Ufa for RFA and lost 750k cap too.

Santorelli, this guy had done 0 homework on Santo. Only an idiot wouldn't resign Santo...

MMiller contact... I love Miller but what a tool gives 6 mill when the guys only choice is Vancouver?

Lack trade oh well I don't mind. He got a second imo... Got a guy that was ranked 55th

Bieksa trade. He has no clue what a man is. He wants meat and potatoes and he traded our biggest man ever. Not to mention he traded him to a division rival again.

Archived