The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals Sign Ryan Stanton

Chris

Stanton by his own admission last year had a terrible season - he had trouble getting the puck out and seemed to be a second behind everything going on.

Hopefully, he gets a decent shot with the Caps to try and rebound this year. Wish him well

Nobody does. But it doesn't matter. he was ours, he was serviceable and he's still got a bit of upside in him.

This board will go nuts every time he hits the back of the net

This board went nuts anytime Hodgson hit the back of the net as well. It really doesn't mean much.

Overall I'm fine with benning moves, but there's 0 doubt in my mind that I would do a better job. Here's what I have a problem with.

Dors and sbisa contracts... Especially Lui's... It baffles me that he has 0 clue on what RFA means. Should take him to arbitration.

Kassian deal. I can't believe he gave a 5th on top of the Ufa for RFA and lost 750k cap too.

Santorelli, this guy had done 0 homework on Santo. Only an idiot wouldn't resign Santo...

MMiller contact... I love Miller but what a tool gives 6 mill when the guys only choice is Vancouver?

Lack trade oh well I don't mind. He got a second imo... Got a guy that was ranked 55th

Bieksa trade. He has no clue what a man is. He wants meat and potatoes and he traded our biggest man ever. Not to mention he traded him to a division rival again.

Just let the professionals handle the business. Keep baking cupcakes in your kitchen and be quiet because you don't know what you're saying.

That word "grit" doesn't mean what you think it means.

The word you're looking for is toughness. Grit in the context of an NHL defenceman is someone who consistently plays with a physical edge, engages in contact along the boards and makes life a living hell in front of the net for opposing players.

Stanton played a soft, positional game and occasionally dropped the gloves when tempers boiled over. As a comparison for grit, Sbisa is a d-man that brings grit.

sbisa bring more grit but also lots of turnovers that lead to goals.. :picard:

canucks dmen are so soft right now.. they will get pounded every night..

That word "grit" doesn't mean what you think it means.

The word you're looking for is toughness. Grit in the context of an NHL defenceman is someone who consistently plays with a physical edge, engages in contact along the boards and makes life a living hell in front of the net for opposing players.

Stanton played a soft, positional game and occasionally dropped the gloves when tempers boiled over. As a comparison for grit, Sbisa is a d-man that brings grit.

Could someone please provide highlights of Sbisa clearing guys out in front or giving them the business for going to the net? I think some are overvaluing the big hits which he throws now and then. I dont think anyone is afraid when Sbisa is with them in front of the net. He is nowhere near gritty, and doesnt make anyone pay for taking liberties with our goalies. Only Juice did that.

It's pretty frustrating when posters call out Benning and his hockey knowledge and then follow it up with saying Stanton is a top 4 dman. The irony is rediculous and unbearable. Not saying that you are one of these posters (though you did say he has top 4 potential) but there seems to be a lot of clueless Canucks fans in this thread.

Stanton did not see any icetime in the Playoffs. It seems like Benning and Desjardin also believe that Sbisa is better. Does that matter?

I have to agree that there is no actual evidence to suggest that Stanton could be a legitimate top 4 D in the NHL. He was undrafted and even playing as an overager in Junior his numbers were not great. In fact he has done extremely well to get as far as he has, with well over 100 NHL games under his belt.

He was never going to do much offensively and he did not have the size and strength to be a dominating presence in his own end. But he was hard-working and reliable, I liked him.

Last year the depth chart at Left D was Edler, Hammer, Sbisa, Stanton. Next year Bartkowski will replace Stanton as 4th on the depth chart at Left D. In am not sure that it is an improvement, but JB knows and likes Bart whereas Stanton was a Gillis holdover who Benning obviously did not think much of. Obviously JB decided at some point last year to write him off.

I would have liked to see Stanton get more time in at Left D last year. He would obviously not replace Edler or Hammer, but the comparison with Sbisa is not so clear. I agree that he is not as good as Sbisa overall, but I think Stanton at under a million is better value than Sbisa at 3.6 million. And he is less prone to big mistakes than Sbisa. If Stanton had been playing instead of Sbisa in the finally playoff game against Calgary I think the Canucks would have won that game.

Stanton is a much more stable d-man than sbisa, we could have had him for cheap instead of tying up nearly 4 mill for an ECHL d-man in Sbisa.

What a joke. Sbisa is a 24 year old with 342 NHL games under his belt. Stanton is.....definitely not a career minor leaguer?

If only NHL coaches had the good sense to come to you before they made lineup decisions.

I have to agree that there is no actual evidence to suggest that Stanton could be a legitimate top 4 D in the NHL. He was undrafted and even playing as an overager in Junior his numbers were not great. In fact he has done extremely well to get as far as he has, with well over 100 NHL games under his belt.

He was never going to do much offensively and he did not have the size and strength to be a dominating presence in his own end. But he was hard-working and reliable, I liked him.

Last year the depth chart at Left D was Edler, Hammer, Sbisa, Stanton. Next year Bartkowski will replace Stanton as 4th on the depth chart at Left D. In am not sure that it is an improvement, but JB knows and likes Bart whereas Stanton was a Gillis holdover who Benning obviously did not think much of. Obviously JB decided at some point last year to write him off.

I would have liked to see Stanton get more time in at Left D last year. He would obviously not replace Edler or Hammer, but the comparison with Sbisa is not so clear. I agree that he is not as good as Sbisa overall, but I think Stanton at under a million is better value than Sbisa at 3.6 million. And he is less prone to big mistakes than Sbisa. If Stanton had been playing instead of Sbisa in the finally playoff game against Calgary I think the Canucks would have won that game.

You make a decent point. However, assuming that changing one guy would give us a win is a pretty big assumption. All our D looked bad because the team was out-skated and the forwards provided no support.

Stanton was not very good last year, and at times downright TERRIBLE. His stats were surprisingly good, and not really indicative of how he was actually playing.

He may possibly still pan out as a decent depth guy, maybe even bottom-pairing...but I wouldn't bet on it. The fact that nobody signed him until the 24th tells me most GMs feel the same.

So if Stanton isn't valued around the league, and you've decided you don't want him on your team, how is tying up a contract and roster spot on him "retaining an asset"?

Seems more like a liability at this point. And if he isn't significantly better next season, he'll be on waivers soon enough (again).

If Stanton had been playing instead of Sbisa in the finally playoff game against Calgary I think the Canucks would have won that game.

People can choose to dislike Sbisa, and question his contract. But it's crap like this that makes it all sound like hate.

Luca made a bad pinch that led to the Ferland goal. (And even then, Dorsett misread the play, and Bieksa lost the passing lane.) But he made up for that by scoring a goal. (The only goal our entire D-core scored all series). And he wasn't on the ice for another goal against.

Hamhuis-Weber were on for the next two goals against, Sbisa scored, then Edler-Tanev were on for the next two. It was our top-4 that completely folded.

Now, if Stanton had been playing instead of Weber... ...maybe you'd be on to something.

• 2 months later...

Archived