The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JIM Benning does not know how to trade, PERIOD!

Is it just me, or is the market (according to Benning) always low for Canucks, and high for everyone else... basically we overpay on every trade.

I'm fine with overpaying for the exact puzzle piece you need for your puzzle. If at the end of the day we give up a few quality pieces extra for the exact lineup he invisions. What's wrong with that? I don't think this deal is an overpayment myself but thats just me. It's a fair trade. Maybe we paid a small premium but i wouldn't consider it anything over the value of a 5th round pick. (not trying to throw Forsling into the convo lol)

It's not terrible, but I don't love it as much as you do.

I'm not sold on Vey yet, especially as a 4C, where you expect a physical presence from all three guys.

As much as I like Bo, I think 2C is expecting a bit much from him. I expect Sutter will probably play there.

I think Horvat is gonna be just fine at 2c this year. Time will only tell but I feel good about that.

Agree with you on Vey, but don't mind a softer type like him on the 4th as long as our 2C & 3C can be big strong & tough to play against which they will be. Vey with a couple of tough guys (Prust, Dorsett) ain't soft anymore and he has potential to be a bit of a scoring threat at times there too.

Really like our top 3C now.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I feel like we gave up a lot to get Sutter and I don't like giving up another pick. I do think Sutter gives us more than Bonino could and may have more offensive upside with more talented wingers than he got to play with in Carolina or Pittsburgh.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I feel like we gave up a lot to get Sutter and I don't like giving up another pick. I do think Sutter gives us more than Bonino could and may have more offensive upside with more talented wingers than he got to play with in Carolina or Pittsburgh.

Giving up a pick? You moved five spots. Not worth the energy people are giving it.

I think Horvat is gonna be just fine at 2c this year. Time will only tell but I feel good about that.

Agree with you on Vey, but don't mind a softer type like him on the 4th as long as our 2C & 3C can be big strong & tough to play against which they will be. Vey with a couple of tough guys (Prust, Dorsett) ain't soft anymore and he has potential to be a bit of a scoring threat at times there too.

Really like our top 3C now.

I guess we'll find out in a few months.

I wonder if Willie will even give Bo a shot at 2C. (Not saying he shouldn't, just wondering if he won't) Bearing in mind, that it took some convincing for WD to even keep him with the club last year...

Sutter is at the age where he can really bust out. He has more potential than Bonino. Been a great 3rd line center for years so Horvat Sutter is better than Horvat Bonino anyway you slice it. The ability to put Vey on the 4th because you have a tough as nails 3rd line is very nice indeed.

For the first time in years, this team is going to be tough to play against.

Benning has seen his weak, 'skilled' team get beaten up.

He is making sure WE will be the ones kicking some ass.

We all know we aren't going to win this year.

Might as well give our young guys a chance to learn and develop without getting stomped on.

The picks exchanged in this deal were the dealbreaker it looks like, Canucks get a high 3rd round pick, the 2nd round pick the Pens are getting is a low 2nd, so maybe a 10 pick difference, gonna miss Bones but Brandon Sutter is the real deal! Canucks at centre with Henrik Sedin, Bo Horvat and Brandon Sutter, that looks sick!

Giving up a pick? You moved five spots. Not worth the energy people are giving it.

That's true if the teams finish semi-according to plan. Those spots could be the difference between getting who you truly want an not. I recognize Benning feels that is a wash.

You guys can crack your jokes but ask yourself one thing how does this trade make us better in two years? It doesn't we lost a 2nd rounder and a young guy like Clendenning for a grinder!

With a contract like Bonino he could of got you so much more at the deadline. Benning I have no clue what your trying to do.

So you could use your next 8 second round picks to maybe acquire a center like Sutter or sign this 26 year old for the next 6 years.

This is literally the most memorable thing Bonino related from last season, and Bonino didn't even have a part in doing it.

Plus, there's only enough room for 1 'Bo' in this town. And his name is Horvat.

Disagree. Bones scored a spin-o-rama goal against the Flyers that was on all the "plays of the year" packages.

It's one thing to be happy, or okay with a trade, but it's silly to attempt to discredit the guy going the other way.

The major flaw in this trade is how good of a contract Bonino was on.

1.9 milllion for a 40-50 point player in today's NHL is insane.

I get what JB is trying to do, but we overpaid.

Plain and simple.

It appears that we went from a GM who was too patient to make a trade to one who is too trigger happy.

For the first time in years, this team is going to be tough to play against.

Benning has seen his weak, 'skilled' team get beaten up.

He is making sure WE will be the ones kicking some ass.

We all know we aren't going to win this year.

Might as well give our young guys a chance to learn and develop without getting stomped on.

Penguin fans are saying Sutter is soft; most of them seem to think they got the better of the trade. See Hockey Futures Board.

I don't think they know how soft Bonino is, how he coughs the puck at the blue line consistently, and how gross he was in the face-off dot; and that he's got two bad knees (ie; skates in molasses).

Not sure about Sutter in the dots though; haven't seen a 'stat' on that.

2014/15 - Sutter #52 - 50.6%

Bonino #78 - 47.4%

Meh. Sutter scores more goals?

Archived