The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics, video

nofreetime

Ya. I saw this

Already a lot of the international community are denouncing this and asking for an inquest to see if bribery or "incentives" were given.

Hosting the WINTER olympics in a city with NO snow NO mountains and such a questionable showing after the summer olympics is ridiculous

The calls for them to host it in a formerly awarded city I guess were listened to...but they meant Lilihammer, Barcelona or vancouver.

Might as well have opted to hold it back in Australia.

Ya. I saw this

Already a lot of the international community are denouncing this and asking for an inquest to see if bribery or "incentives" were given.

Hosting the WINTER olympics in a city with NO snow NO mountains and such a questionable showing after the summer olympics is ridiculous

The calls for them to host it in a formerly awarded city I guess were listened to...but they meant Lilihammer, Barcelona or vancouver.

??? What are you talking about? :huh:

http://www.tour-beijing.com/ski/ski_resorts.php#.Vbuen_NVhHw

MEH.

Kinda knew it was gonna go to Beijing, not really surprised.

But if you're going to have winter olympics in China, at least choose a city like Harbin, which has the coldest and longest winters out of all Chinese cities.

What is the point when you need fake snow? What's next? 2026 Winter Olympics in Cuba?

hills that need 2 hours drive to get to and cannot function without round the clock snow creation are not ski hills.

while Vancouver had to store snow, it was by and large real.

There is a reason people are not happy about this

No idea why this upsets you. Snow manufactured or Snow which fell from the sky is still Snow. The 2 hour drive seemed fine and dandy when the mountain events were in Whistler. Not to mention there are a LOT of ski hills in Beijing maybe some are a 2 hour drive but some are a lot closer and all are actually in Beijing.

I think it's impressive on its own, and a testament to the human race's ability to change and adapt their climate to what's needed.

No idea why this upsets you. Snow manufactured or Snow which fell from the sky is still Snow. The 2 hour drive seemed fine and dandy when the mountain events were in Whistler. Not to mention there are a LOT of ski hills in Beijing maybe some are a 2 hour drive but some are a lot closer and all are actually in Beijing.

I think it's impressive on its own, and a testament to the human race's ability to change and adapt their climate to what's needed.

Think of the pollution created in order to make all that fake snow? That's impressive? As opposed to hosting the Winter Olympics in a country that snows naturally.

Think of the pollution created in order to make all that fake snow? That's impressive? As opposed to hosting the Winter Olympics in a country that snows naturally.

Or think of the destruction of the environment in a city that snows naturally but is not already set up for an event of this magnitude. There will be pollution created no matter where or how the Olympics are run, but the infrastructure already exists in Beijing which means at the very least the environmental impact will be limited to the energy required to host the games rather than building and setting up for them too.

You think the impact on the Sochi region would be more or less if the infrastructure was already there (Vs. Building it) and just having to manufacture snow?

My hallucination was that there was more negatives to environment by building all those hotels, Olympic facilities, roads, athlete villages, restaurants, stores, etc etc etc than ever could be done by the power consumption needed to turn water into snow.

I can't say for sure thats the case but I feel it makes sense.

Will this change Bettman's stance on getting NHL players out of the winter olympics???

Being in Beijing will bring a lot of awareness to hockey, especially with so many Chinese "immigrants" in NA. = A LOT OF MOOOLAAAAAH.

Good Point Kaka, China is the next obvious market for hockey.

Ya. I saw this

Australia didn't make a bid only countries that did was china and Kazakstan. Sweden did but later withdrew their bid due to the economic termoil currently in europe.

So the choices is Kazakstan or China. Kazakstan is a pretty unstable and the nation is as poor as portugal and greece in 2013.

The last country to host the olympics with a gdp less than a trillion was Greece and look where they ended up.

Archived