The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver teen dies after suspected fentanyl overdose.

Grapefruits

CTV Vancouver

Published Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:54PM PDT
Last Updated Monday, August 3, 2015 7:11PM PDT

A Metro Vancouver teenager has died after a suspected fentanyl overdose Saturday night.

Two teenage boys, ages 16 and 17, are believed to have purchased and consumed fake Oxycontin known as “fake 80’s,” according to a Vancouver Police Department release.

Police said the pair lost consciousness in Vancouver’s Shelley Park after taking the drug.

Related Stories

Both young men were rushed to Children’s Hospital, where the 16-year-old recovered and was released. The 17-year-old was on life support, and police confirmed his death Monday morning.

The victim has been identified as Jack Bodie, a high school student in Burnaby heading into grade 12. Friends tell CTV News that Bodie was “a nice guy, and very outgoing”, as well as a soccer and hockey star.

Police said the fake pills were green in colour and had the number 80 on them, but reminded the public that fentanyl can be found in many forms and is often mixed with other drugs.

The painkiller is 50 to 100 times more toxic than morphine, and has been linked to many recent overdose deaths, police said. Bodie’s death comes after several fentanyl warnings that have been issued in the last several weeks.

RCMP is investigating the possible link between fentanyl and the death of a 31-year-old North Vancouver man on Friday.

The man was found in distress by a family member, who called police. Despite efforts to resuscitate the man, he died at the scene.

Police say further investigation has revealed a suspected link to the opiate-based drug fentanyl, and are warning the public to be careful.

The BC Coroner’s Office has recorded an explosion in fentanyl deaths, with numbers jumping from 15 deaths in 2012 to 55 in 2014. At least 55 people have died from the drug so far in 2015.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-teen-dies-after-suspected-fentanyl-overdose-1.2499617

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been hearing a lot about fentanyl the past few weeks, saw an Intervention episode abut it, scary stuff. Few people have OD'd on it lately.

Here's what I don't get. They're saying that they are fake Oxy 80's, as in Oxycontin. Now I was on Oxycontin before my back surgery and for a while after. I was prescribed 10's and 2 of them would knock me on my ass! They would also make me feel rather sick at times when I did take 2.

Why would anyone take 80mg's all at once to get high? Hell, why would anyone take something that's in pill form from some shady drug dealer?

There is absolutely no way to know what's in the pill.

Brutal. Do you guys think a psycho serial killer could be making tainted drugs to kill people? I know it's a bit far-fetched and probably just some cutting costs to make drugs, but wouldn't that be twisted?

When you think about it, ingesting some random substance when you have no idea what type of safety procedures created it is kinda nuts. Stay say, CDC.

Brutal. Do you guys think a psycho serial killer could be making tainted drugs to kill people? I know it's a bit far-fetched and probably just some cutting costs to make drugs, but wouldn't that be twisted?

When you think about it, ingesting some random substance when you have no idea what type of safety procedures created it is kinda nuts. Stay say, CDC.

That's definitely a little far fetched, cant see any dealer wanting to kill of their clientele. As for cost cutting, as far as I know fentanyl isn't easy to get. It's highly regulated and monitored. So I cant see it being cheap for the dealers to get. Perhaps I'm wrong.

really? It has nothing to do with being stupid

You mean choosing to buy an illicit product that's more likely than not will do unknown amount of harm to your body, from a non-trustworthy source, manufactured with lots of dangerous and unknown chemicals with lots of random fillers?

Sounds stupid to me.

Wtflol

...Two teenage boys, ages 16 and 17...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been hearing a lot about fentanyl the past few weeks, saw an Intervention episode abut it, scary stuff. Few people have OD'd on it lately.

Here's what I don't get. They're saying that they are fake Oxy 80's, as in Oxycontin. Now I was on Oxycontin before my back surgery and for a while after. I was prescribed 10's and 2 of them would knock me on my ass! They would also make me feel rather sick at times when I did take 2.

Why would anyone take 80mg's all at once to get high? Hell, why would anyone take something that's in pill form from some shady drug dealer?

There is absolutely no way to know what's in the pill.

Teenagers aren't the most adept at deciding tolerance. I am probably not the only person here who knew people who overdosed in high school, in fact, 3 people died from drug related deaths before I graduated. That was before the internet though, nowadays one can do a little research if they are so inclined, but no amount of internet can fix the inherent social problems attributed to their wanting to do hard drugs in the first place.

maybe the cops should start restricting the pescription drug epidemic that saturates the drug scene in bc i remember this scumbag cook at my old work got a bunch of the kitchen staff addicted to oxys guys like that should have no access to drugs that ruin peoples lives if cops did thier jobs and got that garbage off the streets wed see less tweakers and crackhead zombies running around

Unfortunately, kids believe that their invulnerable. (I know I did when I was 17) Most of them think "I can handle it" or "it'll never happen to me..."

...until it does.

This stuff scares me because I have a 17 year old daughter to likes to party with her friends. I'll have to be sure and show her this article.

maybe the cops should start restricting the pescription drug epidemic that saturates the drug scene in bc i remember this scumbag cook at my old work got a bunch of the kitchen staff addicted to oxys guys like that should have no access to drugs that ruin peoples lives if cops did thier jobs and got that garbage off the streets wed see less tweakers and crackhead zombies running around

wow, what color's the sky in your world? Do you not think if they had any such super powers they wouldn't have done this already? Maybe you need to go on a few ride arounds with them you come away with a realistic perspective.

The cops are not magical mind reading mutants. They need leads. That means it is up to you to report these kind of people when you see it happen. Especially if you know their name and place of work. The onus is on you to report it.

Archived