The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Announce New AGM

tybarber

Do tell.

- Received death threats for his work in Orlando with the Magic.

- Was part of the "braintrust" that engineered the Ryan O'Reilly offersheet.

- Was in charge of the 2012 NHL Draft for the Calgary Flames, and advised that trading down to pick Jankowski was the best move. The Flames missed out on Teravainen, Vasilevskiy, Hertl and Laughton, and passed on Olli Maatta. The Patrick Sieloff pick in the second round was garbage as well.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure you could find more if you really dug deeper.

- Was in charge of the 2012 NHL Draft for the Calgary Flames, and advised that trading down to pick Jankowski was the best move. The Flames missed out on Teravainen, Vasilevskiy, Hertl and Laughton, and passed on Olli Maatta. The Patrick Sieloff pick in the second round was garbage as well.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure you could find more if you really dug deeper.

Yup. To add to the first point, I believe a player/someone in the organization even talked crap about him once he was gone, basically saying, hallelujah.

Received death threats because he traded heartless Tracy MacGrady. Also drafted Dwight Howard

Was involved in drafting Johnny Gaudreau

Best player at 2015 Flames prospect camp was Jankowski

He obviously had noting to do with our last two drafts. They both look good. An assistant gets to do the things that the GM does not want to do. We all know that Benning loves scouting and drafting ,right?

Received death threats because he traded heartless Tracy MacGrady. Also drafted Dwight Howard

Was involved in drafting Johnny Gaudreau

Best player at 2015 Flames prospect camp was Jankowski

John Weisbrod was not involved in the 2011 entry draft. He was hired a day after the 2011 draft.

Jankowski is still not better than Maata, Teravainen, Vasileskiy, Hertl, Laughton, ect....

John Weisbrod was not involved in the 2011 entry draft. He was hired a day after the 2011 draft.

Jankowski is still not better than Maata, Teravainen, Vasileskiy, Hertl, Laughton, ect....

You can add Zemgus Girgensons to that list, Buffalo was able to draft him because Calgary traded down...

At the end of the day all of that falls on Jay Feaster not Weisbrod.

That Jankowski pick was a doozy....awful move...!

He's still listed as Chief Scout. I wonder if this is a sign that Delorme is being eased out?

He was already demoted back in 2013 when they reallocated responsibilities: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/08/04/canucks-make-expected-front-office-changes-but-add-a-scouting-twist/
The interesting news is the promotion of Judd Brackett to Director of Amateur Scouting. Brackett was an amateur scout for the team for the last seven years. He’s filling a role which looks similar to Eric Crawford’s old role (he was let go at the same time as Gilman). Crawford took over supervision of the team’s amateur scouting operations in 2013 from Ron Delorme and ran the team’s draft board. A team spokesman confirmed Delorme is still with the club. Delorme was first named as Chief Amateur Scout in 2000, under Brian Burke. He retained his title after Crawford took over in 2013, but his role focused on scouting the Western Hockey League.

yikes....

So basically, typical whining from fan stuff

I think it would be helpful to put that rumour (bolded) to bed.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to take a little work (and a very long read), so I'll use a spoiler here:

Certainly Weisbrod was involved in the Ryan O'Reilly offersheet. But his role starts and ends with pro scouting and team building. Would O'Reilly have been a nice add to their roster? I tend to think yes.

But as far as CBA interpretation, that just wasn't Weisbrod's job.

Weisbrod's position was "Assistant GM, Player Personnel" and that's generally understood as a senior management position overseeing player evaluation (including scouting), recruitment, player support, and supervising/liaising with the coaching staff.

Player personnel managers (whether AGMs, VPs, or Directors) are generally not involved with hockey operations duties such as contract analysis or CBA interpretation. That's the domain of a "hockey operations" manager (AGM, VP, or Director) or a "hockey administration" manager.

Interestingly, at the time of the O'Reilly offersheet, the Flames' front office included the following:

AGM Mike Holditch: whose duties included "the direction of all hockey operations including CBA interpretation, team development, administration and tracking of the player budget, player negotiations, arbitration, scheduling and contract review and documentation" (quote taken from an archived bio on the Calgary official website).

-Holditch stayed on after Feaster and Weisbrod were fired. He eventually resigned in 2014.

Director of Hockey Administration Mike Burke: whose duties include "the administration of the hockey club" and working closely with the GM and senior VPs in managing "many facets of the Flames hockey organization." Burke's "vast experience in hockey-related matters [have] made him a valuable part of the hockey staff. His main responsibilities include contract research, analysis and negotiation, player assignments, preparation of salary arbitrations, liaison between the NHL and the Flames regarding all aspects of hockey administration, monitoring collective bargaining issues and helping coordinate the day-to-day operations of the club."

-Burke was promoted to his current position in 1994 and he remains with the team.

Director of Hockey Analytics Chris Snow: whose duties include "all data collection, database development, and data-based analysis. Snow supports decision making across several aspects of the hockey operation, including Flames roster decisions, professional and amateur scouting, Flames game preparation, and player contract negotiations.

-Snow was hired in 2011 and remains with the team. While his current role is as the "fancy stats guy" for Calgary, his prior experience includes four seasons as "director of hockey operations with the Minnesota Wild."

http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40740

All the above mentioned members of the Flames' management team/executive would have had a far greater understanding of the terms of the CBA than Weisbrod and it would have been much more their responsibility to make sure the Flames were on the right side of the CBA with regards to offersheeting O'Reilly.

And Feaster was clear that he'd run everything by his hockey ops team before proceeding:

"Prior to tendering the offer sheet for Ryan O'Reilly we, as a hockey operations department, examined whether there were any impediments to our successfully securing the services of the player including, but not limited to, his having played in the KHL after the start of the current NHL season.

"Our interpretation of the Article 13 transition rules governing restricted free agents, and the applicability of Article 13.23 under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to such RFA's was, and continues to be, different than the NHL's current interpretation as articulated to us this morning. Moreover, throughout our discussions, the player's representative [Patrick Morris] shared our interpretation and position with respect to the non-applicability of Article 13.23.

"While we were prepared to advance our position with the NHL, in light of Colorado's having matched the offer sheet it is now an academic point. As such, we will have no further comment on the matter, the player, or the offer sheet process."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/03/flames-oreilly-offer-sheet-a-big-mistake-all-around.html

So the failure was on the part of the Flames' hockey operations/administration staff (as well as their legal team) in not properly understanding the terms of the CBA and the specific articles and clauses that effected the situation.

That doesn't fall on Weisbrod.

It does fall on Feaster, since he was the GM, and he carries responsibility for hirings and firings and he trusted people (like Holditch, Burke, and Snow) to advise him on issues of CBA interpretation. And they ultimately failed at their jobs (as relates to O'Reilly).

It's very interesting that none of them were fired over it.I suspect the reason why is that the Flames' failure on the O'Reilly matter was hardly unique. If you go back through blogs and newspaper articles at the time, nearly every team had local media writing stories about potential offersheets on O'Reilly. And nearly every smartmouth blogger wrote a piece about why (or why not) their team should take a run a signing this player. Nobody (at the time) was talking about waivers.

Even our very own Vancouver Canucks (with CBA "geniuses" Gillis and Gilman) were reported (by Sportsnet) to have written an offersheet on O'Reilly. Of course, Gilman and Gillis both later denied the report. But when you read between the lines of what Gillis had to say at the time (about offersheeting O'Reilly), it doesn't seem like Vancouver's vaunted hockey operations/administration staff actually knew about the waivers issue (at least not at first):

http://thecanuckway.com/2013/02/28/did-the-vancouver-canucks-make-an-offer-sheet-to-ryan-oreilly/

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/3/gillis-says-he-knew-that-ryan-oreilly-would-be-subject-to-waivers

Lenin said "a lie told often enough becomes truth" and it seems like this is what happened with Weisbrod. Somehow he's become synonymous with the "Ryan O'Reilly offersheet fiasco" but, in truth, it was never his responsibility to check the CBA interpretation on this issue.

It's far more likely that Weisbrod's involvement started and ended with deciding whether or not O'Reilly would be a good addition to the Flames' roster (since this is what a player personnel manager would be concerned with). The CBA and contract stuff was someone else's department.

And now with the Canucks, it's pretty much the same story. People (like that guy at the Summer Summit) worry that Weisbrod will bungle another CBA issue if he's part of the team's senior management. But once again, Weisbrod has been hired as an "Assistant GM and VP, Player Personnel." CBA interpretation isn't his job.

The Canucks have Jonathan Wall (Director, Hockey Operations and Analytics) and now Chris Gear (VP and general counsel for CS&E) to advise the GM and AGM on all matters related to the CBA. And if the Canucks fail in this area (CBA interpretation), it won't be because of Weisbrod, but because Wall and Gear messed up (and because Benning hired/promoted them and fired Gilman).

Weisbrod is replacing Lorne Henning (former AGM and VP, Player Personnel). Gilman (former AGM and VP, Hockey Operations) is being replaced by Wall and Gear.

Here is more...

Drafted Monahan in 2013- dude is a stud!!!!

Drafted Poirier in the first and now at 20yrs old, he is nhl ready having gone .8ppg in the AHL last year.

Klimchuk- also a good pick up

So you can just go flailing around your reporting bias and just spew out facts that support your theory. I don't like the guy but that's just a personal feeling.

Archived