The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Canuck player comparisons : Bo Horvat vs Dylan Larkin

TheHockeyNerds

Hey guys, as we all know, we are in the dog days of summer. I want to start a mini series comparing two young players (one Canuck player) with similar playing styles. Since both players are so young, this is potential as much as anything. So who you you guys take, Horvat vs Larkin ?

Thanks guys

It might have been more of a coin flip a year ago, but after Horvat's past season, for me he's the clear favourite. By improving his skating and demonstrating that he can handle NHL pace, Horvat has largely caught-up in one of the few areas where Larkin once seemed to really hold an advantage. The only thing remaining for Horvat to prove is whether or not he can bring high-end playmaking and vision at the NHL level.

And Horvat holds a clear advantage over Larkin in size/strength, defensive prowess, the ability to play a "heavy" game, and his general offensive "bullishness" around the net.

Larkin might have better vision and generally higher end offensive ability. But as I mentioned earlier, it's possible that Horvat's next development stage will be proving that his ceiling is actually much higher than was previously believed by most of the pundits (if he can demonstrate consistent top-six productivity, especially on the playmaking side of the game).

I've read some interesting reports lately that suggest a fair number of independent amateur scouts and a even a few NHL teams' draft tables actually consider Horvat a top-5 pick in his year. Which lends some real credibility to Gillis's suggestion on draft day that he would have still taken Bo with Edmonton's #7 overall pick (a claim I pretty much rejected at the time), so there was no reason for the Canucks to seek a better return on Schneider (and risk facing him in an Oilers jersey). At this stage in the game, it really doesn't seem far-fetched to put Horvat in the 2013 top-5 (although I'd still have him a couple spots later than that).

Larkin, while certainly looking like a "riser" in his development since draft day, still hasn't raised his profile to the same level (even after a nice little 6 game performance in the AHL playoffs). Of course, that might all change once he's had more than just a "cup of coffee" in the professional ranks.

But for right now, and overall, Horvat's the clear favourite IMO.

When Larkin can hold his own against Crosby and Getzlaf, school Toews in the face-off circle (I forget which Chicago-Vancouver game it was last season but Horvat did just that draw after draw) then he might be able to make a case for himself. Right now, it's Horvat all the way!

Nichuskin

That's excellent sarcasm. It's nice to see fans realize now what a HUGE mistake drafting that (play me top minutes or I go to KHL) guy, would have been. As for Larkin, I like him, but Bo is bigger, more defensively sound, and clearly the better player. Larkin will become a solid number three. Bo is an excellent two already, and will be a top 5 in the league # 1 soon. No is great!

Archived