The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting rid of the fragile mindset of this team

icycold

As much a I like hank sedin he should never been made captain. The team is a direct reflection of him rarely if ever stands up for himself let alone team mates. Thornton poking him in the face with zero retaliation said it all.

Modest and soft spoken at times appears to have zero emotion.

Biggest mistake when new management came in was not changing the identity of the team with a new personality as captain.

The identity won't change till the guys leading do.

it's obvious, that you've been an nhl gm and have changed the team into cup champs over night....you should be talking to ownership about a job...it is rare to find people who can transform a team at the drop of a hat...maybe, you could outline your strategy and moves that would have us on top...i'ld love to see how you would do it...please enlighten us...

it's obvious, that you've been an nhl gm and have changed the team into cup champs over night....you should be talking to ownership about a job...it is rare to find people who can transform a team at the drop of a hat...maybe, you could outline your strategy and moves that would have us on top...i'ld love to see how you would do it...please enlighten us...

Where were you when Gillis and Torts was being trashed on every day?

"my hope is that before I die, I get to watch a team that will impose its will on the opposing team on a game-after-game basis."

I'm tired of reading stuff like this. We imposed our will plenty on other teams in 2010-11. We were doing it in the SC too until we were crippled by injuries. We played tough and we scored goals. We knocked other teams about but it was secondary to scoring and winning games.

You don't win 2 President's Trophies and get to game 7 of the SC Finals if you are unable to impose yourself on other teams. We only had one failing in these days and it was being too casual when playing the bottom feeders.

Quite a few teams as I remember tried to intimidate us on the way to the finals but we responded and in the end we were too resilient for them.

Injuries prevented us winning the Cup and if we had won it we would never have heard any of this type of BS that gets repeated over and over again, steadily wiping out the real memories of just how good we were.

As much a I like hank sedin he should never been made captain. The team is a direct reflection of him rarely if ever stands up for himself let alone team mates. Thornton poking him in the face with zero retaliation said it all.

Modest and soft spoken at times appears to have zero emotion.

Biggest mistake when new management came in was not changing the identity of the team with a new personality as captain.

The identity won't change till the guys leading do.

Maybe in your world captains come from a cookie cutter but reality is, not all captains captain the same way. Truthfully, the role of the captain is highly overrated. Leadership comes from multiple players and in many forms. Further, it really doesn't matter what you or I or any fan thinks of the captain and his abilities, as long as his teammates respect him, that's all that really matters.

Actually he clearly expressed his philosophy. You just poo-pooed it.

"my hope is that before I die, I get to watch a team that will impose its will on the opposing team on a game-after-game basis."

I'm tired of reading stuff like this. We imposed our will plenty on other teams in 2010-11. We were doing it in the SC too until we were crippled by injuries. We played tough and we scored goals. We knocked other teams about but it was secondary to scoring and winning games.

You don't win 2 President's Trophies and get to game 7 of the SC Finals if you are unable to impose yourself on other teams. We only had one failing in these days and it was being too casual when playing the bottom feeders.

Quite a few teams as I remember tried to intimidate us on the way to the finals but we responded and in the end we were too resilient for them.

Injuries prevented us winning the Cup and if we had won it we would never have heard any of this type of BS that gets repeated over and over again, steadily wiping out the real memories of just how good we were.

Hmm. Did we sustain those injuries while getting man-handled?

Actually he clearly expressed his philosophy. You just poo-pooed it.

but he didn't say how that could be done...benning is going with having older players helping the young players to learn the game.

if he is planning to move the sedins out, he needs to show a plan to move their contracts and explain, who will get the points, they would score?....and more important, if he wants to gut this team, he needs to show, what his plan is going forward.....it is easy to state someone else's plan is wrong, but showing a replacement plan that will work...then we can judge, whether or not he has a grasp on what it takes to build a team...i'm not saying he is wrong, we just need to see his alternate plan in order to judge it.

Surprisingly it was 4 sentences.

I had to go back and check.

I think he means more of the 70's Canucks style of imposing our will.

We didn't win a lot of games, but we were sure tough to play against! Can't wait for a decade of that if that's where we're headed...

:rolleyes:

Getting rid of the fragile mindset of this team has "maybe" finally happened with more new fresh faces, i remember when buffy ran roughshod over Louie and we had no answer (no donald brashear) or even close and the best at the time wasn't good enough and the whole team ego seemed to crack and that was that and we never really recovered BUT now like it or not losing that fragile ego comes with new players that haven't gone through that, nevermind management although trevor was around in the wings so to speak. So now (HOPEFULLY!) a lot of that has gone and a new attitude of yes no more of that b.s. and what MG tried to do WILL finally get done and we have a new mix of vets and prospects and players will be ready to step in when the old core leave via age. Benning knows the value of getting speedier and yet grittier too gets you from being in boston so hopefully after it ALL is weeded out and a completely new era that has begun will finally lay it to rest and it dead and buried at the back as hopefully we get even better players to push for that elusive Lord Stanley as hard as it was when Linden played. That wuld be the greatest relief without drinking a six pack and holding "it" in a sea of a bathroom line up at a party! Cmon canucks! get er done! No more bulle!

dude, I'm not a stickler for grammar, but even my brain ran out of breathe trying to read that monster of a run on sentence. Holy Moly friend.

Getting rid of the fragile mindset of this team has "maybe" finally happened with more new fresh faces.

I remember when buffy ran roughshod over Louie and we had no answer (no donald brashear) or even close and the best at the time wasn't good enough and the whole team ego seemed to crack and that was that and we never really recovered.

BUT now like it or not losing that fragile ego comes with new players that haven't gone through that. Nevermind management although trevor was around in the wings so to speak. So now (HOPEFULLY!) a lot of that has gone and a new attitude of yes no more of that b.s. and what MG tried to do WILL finally get done and we have a new mix of vets and prospects and players will be ready to step in when the old core leave via age.

Benning knows the value of getting speedier and yet grittier too gets you from being in boston, so hopefully after it ALL is weeded out and a completely new era that has begun will finally lay it to rest and it dead and buried at the back as hopefully we get even better players to push for that elusive Lord Stanley as hard as it was when Linden played.

That wuld be the greatest relief without drinking a six pack and holding "it" in a sea of a bathroom line up at a party! Cmon canucks! get er done! No more bulle!

The best attempt I could make at parsing his text wall.

I had to go back and check.

I think he means more of the 70's Canucks style of imposing our will.

We didn't win a lot of games, but we were sure tough to play against! Can't wait for a decade of that if that's where we're headed...

:rolleyes:

So just because a team plays tougher that automatically means they will be exactly like the 1970's Canucks? um ok

but he didn't say how that could be done...benning is going with having older players helping the young players to learn the game.

if he is planning to move the sedins out, he needs to show a plan to move their contracts and explain, who will get the points, they would score?....and more important, if he wants to gut this team, he needs to show, what his plan is going forward.....it is easy to state someone else's plan is wrong, but showing a replacement plan that will work...then we can judge, whether or not he has a grasp on what it takes to build a team...i'm not saying he is wrong, we just need to see his alternate plan in order to judge it.

Well Joe I have watched or listened to pretty much all the Canuck games since the beginning. To me the closest this team ever came to actually having a plan was under Quinn until the LInden era. Isn't it a coincidence that Linden played for Quinn. Many

here refer to the current Canucks as the Benning product. I suggest it has a large Linden influence. As good as the '94 team was I will never forget what Messier did to Linden.

As far as team toughness goes I think you have to go back to the beginning with Quinn and Kurtenbach to find a roster that really took no guff. Last year you had a Canuck team that thought they could out finesse the Flames and really did not have a answer for

a team that came at them physically. It should not have been a surprise as teams who played Van with a physical deep fore check were finding success all season. In that playoff series Hartley targeted those players who could move the puck quickly such as Tanev and Hamhuis. I thought Sbisa played one of his best games as a Canuck and the Flames ganged up on him. Dorsett was

injured and could do only so much.

So whether it is Benning or Linden who set the direction it is clear to me that the Canucks will be tougher physically come fall. The fact that they let a big kid like Matthias walk did not surprise me as he was pretty much a bystander at crunch time. All NHL teams have to be able to play whatever game is required to win. That requires different skills from different players. There is room on such a team for the Twins but their approach cannot be exclusive.

Removing this fragile mindset is easy: Draft good old Canadian kids who form the foundation of your team. Don Cherry is never wrong. All I have to do is watch how Toews on a bum hamstring fought for his own versus Chara in front of the net, he was injured yet this action challenged the rest of his team to follow his example.

Love the Sedins, but handing over a stick and saying sorry during the Calgary series does not provide killer instinct for the rest of the guys to follow. Dorsett even admitted that not enough guys stick up and get vocal when opponents take liberties.

Archived