The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What rules would you change?

Rubik

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Automatic penalty for lifting the puck over the glass in the defensive zone.

Raise the glass so it's the same height as behind the net. That way if the puck is shot over, you know it's on purpose.

Keep the trapezoid as a safe zone. Goaile can play puck outside the trapezoid but is not considered untouchable.

Keep o/t and s/o but change point system to 3 point games, whereby you don't get a point for losing.

Reg or O/T win :3 pts. S/O win: 2 pts. Reg or O/T loss: 0 pts. S/O loss: 1 pt.

Change icing :

Puck shot from inside your defensive zone blue line: ICING.

This is usually where you are trying to ice the puck.

Puck shot outside your blueline: NO ICING.

This is usually a missed pass or bad judgement on part of player or linesman.

Any call or play can be video reviewable, and by doing so the coach uses their timeout. If the call needs to be changed, the coach keeps the time out. If the call stands, coach loses their time out. It will never happen as the NHL protects its refs like nothing else, but it's nice to dream.

I would keep the rule, but change the penalty for it.

I think it could be a good rule, if treated like icing. No line change, face-off in your own zone.

I think the rule is good.

for those who do not remember, players used to flip the puck over the boards often to avoid icings.

I would make the change that the team could use their time out to negate one "puck over glass penalty" per game, provided the time out was still available.

To give the appearance that all teams are competitive.

There were only 6 teams below .500 last year. Without that, there would be 12...bad for "business". ;)

Coming out as "Sports Entertainment " has not been bad for the WWE.

Treating your clientele as fools is not good for business either.

1. I like the Mike Smith rule, however I think they should not have immunity outside their crease, (that is why they have a crease)

2. abolish the Gary Smith rule, it is counter to the idea of having goalies play the puck.

3. institute the Billy Smith rule, ie, Goalies not penalized for protecting their crease, provided they stay below the neck and they players are actually in the crease.

4. abolish the glove hand pass. Offense killer. Interesting they instituted the recent rule regarding gloved faceoffs but let the glove pass stand. Confusing.

5. abolish the defensive slide

6. do not let goalies return for icing.

7. make goalies serve time in box, as mentioned above. Not the second goalie.

put a zebra in the booth to call flagrant dives and goalie interference, let the lone ref decide the tempo of the game

Refs shouldn't "decide" anything. They should just enforce the rule book. I hate pick and choose reffing, make up calls, and dumbest of all - retaliation calls. If they actually called the first penalty there wouldn't be a retaliation!

- Drop the instigator rule.

- 5 minute major for all stick infractions above the shoulder. (Remember how multiple generations kept the stick at waist level or on the ice?)

- No contact with the goalie in the blue paint. But if the goalie is outside he's fair game.

- No trapezoid.

- Flipping the puck out from the defensive zone, does not lead to a penalty, but a faceoff in the zone and the defensive team can't do a line change.

- Hand pass, means a whistle and the game is stopped.

- Back to a one ref system.

- Expand the ice surface to halfway between NHL and International size.

At the end of every season. Have 3 players, the head coach, and GM from each team fly to a specific location. Bring every referee and linesman. Have the league go through the rulebook with video examples of each penalty. That way players, managers and officials know what IS a penalty, and what isn't. That way everyone is on the same page. (no pun intended).

- Make helmets safer and enforce players strap them on. Maybe use memory foam or something to try and provide more protection. Also all pads should have some type of ultra tough gel cushions. So that a hit by an elbow pad doesn't injure the other player.

• 3 points for regulation win.
  • Allow each team a certian amount of vetos for officials they don't want working their games
  • Only penalize the diver on embellishment calls
  • Implement a coaches challenge for especially egregious calls
  • One ref only (there aren't enough acceptable quality ones to implement 2 ref system)

1. I like the Mike Smith rule, however I think they should not have immunity outside their crease, (that is why they have a crease)

2. abolish the Gary Smith rule, it is counter to the idea of having goalies play the puck.

3. institute the Billy Smith rule, ie, Goalies not penalized for protecting their crease, provided they stay below the neck and they players are actually in the crease.

4. abolish the glove hand pass. Offense killer. Interesting they instituted the recent rule regarding gloved faceoffs but let the glove pass stand. Confusing.

5. abolish the defensive slide

6. do not let goalies return for icing.

7. make goalies serve time in box, as mentioned above. Not the second goalie.

What's the Gary smith rule?

First get rid of the reffing style where penalties are not called for entertainment. It's completely subjective on behalf of the ref and can really screw some teams in critical times. All penalties must be called. If you don't want to kill penalties all game then stop hooking guys faster than you.

Second the "Mike Smith Rule" when a goalie abuses his immunity to obstruct another player from the puck, he's called for interference or delay of game.

No more shootouts. Ten minutes 4 on 4 overtime and if no one wins then no one gets a point. You can only gets points for winning.

It's either a dive or a legit penalty. Have the guts to call one or the other.

I really like this idea. Either you win in RT or OT or you get no points. That should solve the playing-for-a-point problem.

Sure but as long as you are automatically suspended for fighting after a clean hit or attacking a player for delivering clean one to your teamate.

THIS. Perhaps the dumbest thing in modern hockey...the so-called "answering the bell" crap. It's gutless and instigated by punks who have no idea about true sportsmanship. Yes, if you clock a guy with a dirty hit, then you need to answer for it. But if a star player wants to disrespect the game by dangling with his head down, then he's gonna get what he deserves.

What's the Gary smith rule?

the Gary Smith rule is the one that makes it a penalty for goalies to handle the puck on the far side of center ice.

Back in early expansion days Gary played for the Seals, or was it the California Golden Seals, ( they had more names than the Canucks have jerseys). He used to catch the puck, drop it and head up ice. The NHL in its wisdom thought that it impinged on the integrity of the game and invoked the rule banning goalies from handling the puck north of center.

Given the celebration of Marty Turco et al the rule seems dated.

the only time I remember seeing it called, Alex Auld was skating to his bench in the second period and touched the puck just as he crossed center, nullifying a delayed penalty.

Archived