The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

49 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

My understanding is that they have 3 years to abide by the audit regulations, and even then the audit regulations are pretty bare bones. It's not like they get delisted tomorrow.

This is correct. It will take 3 years to take effect.

According to the legislation, once they get delisted that's it. There's no getting demoted to the pink sheets they're just gone.

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This is correct. It will take 3 years to take effect.

According to the legislation, once they get delisted that's it. There's no getting demoted to the pink sheets they're just gone.

So essentially these Chinese stocks are just zombies for the next three years. Damn, should have sold all of NIO today.

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

So essentially these Chinese stocks are just zombies for the next three years. Damn, should have sold all of NIO today.

Not if they satisfy the new legislation at the 3 year mark. I am optimistic they will work it out. It is in the best interest of the company and the american investor

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

Not if they satisfy the new legislation at the 3 year mark. I am optimistic they will work it out. It is in the best interest of the company and the american investor

Not familiar with politics but can’t JoeBro just reverse whatever Trump does? 

I believe Nio and Xpev and even Li will be USA compliant within 3 years. They’re legit companies.

But the low float Chinese penny days will be coming to a close in the coming years

5 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I believe Nio and Xpev and even Li will be USA compliant within 3 years. They’re legit companies.

But the low float Chinese penny days will be coming to a close in the coming years

Biden has already stated that he won't reverse any of Trump's actions regarding China at least not straight away.

Also, this was passed by congress so nothing really Biden can do unless congress revoke it.

37 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

He would need support from the republican controlled senate to reverse anything. The way I see it, the 3 year timeline gives both the Chinese companies and the USA government the time to organize this oversight relationship.

US dollar sure is heavy lately. CAD at more than a 2 yr high vs USD and breaking major resistance. Euro is at a 2 1/2 year high vs USD. Swiss Franc at a 5 year high vs USD despite a negative carry of -.75%.

Copper is at a 7 yr high. That's a bit of a head scratcher.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

He would need support from the republican controlled senate to reverse anything. The way I see it, the 3 year timeline gives both the Chinese companies and the USA government the time to organize this oversight relationship.

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Biden has already stated that he won't reverse any of Trump's actions regarding China at least not straight away.

Also, this was passed by congress so nothing really Biden can do unless congress revoke it.

Ah makes sense. 

Regardless, I think Nio may already be compliant if not then very close. 3 years is a long time. If it means after 2023 there’s no more Luckin Coffee’s then the markets are a better place. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I find it interesting that ARKK dropped 20,000 shares of SPLK (first time she's ever sold SPLK) the day prior to bad earnings. Saved her company almost 1M...

Coincidence or knowledge ?

Cathie is a real life bobby axlerod. 

She also knew to add tsla day before s&p news.

She added Slack like crazy for 2 days before the buy out announcement. 

other recent instances too. 

Especially for those with more experience investing, I'm curious to know what you define as a 'success'. Like, if a TFSA can get you maybe 5-7% returns over the course of a year, how much more do you need to earn to make it worthwhile to develop and implement your own investment strategy. For example, is there a place of purgatory where you made more than you would have if you placed your $ in a TFSA, but the amount you made was not worth the time it took to make it?

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Especially for those with more experience investing, I'm curious to know what you define as a 'success'. Like, if a TFSA can get you maybe 5-7% returns over the course of a year, how much more do you need to earn to make it worthwhile to develop and implement your own investment strategy. For example, is there a place of purgatory where you made more than you would have if you placed your $ in a TFSA, but the amount you made was not worth the time it took to make it?

This is what I’m struggling with right now - for years we’ve had our retirement savings in accounts that grow like you’ve described. The idea is that you leave it in long-long-term and by the time that boring little growth has spent decades in there compound interest has turned it into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But I’ve found myself feeling squirrely, so I’ve begun to “diversify” by self-directing some stuff on my own in the hope that I can make better returns. Buttoned-down investment advisers would say you wouldn’t use more than 5% of your total nest-egg to play with and that’s what I’m doing.

That said, my “play” money has probably grown to 10% of the total just because it grows so much faster in moderna and tesla than in old-school mutual funds.

People on here that actually know what they’re doing sound like they make hundreds or even thousands daily just by actively managing their portfolios.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

It's personally not in my personality to have my money sit there and grow 5-7% when with a little bit of research I can find my own ETF's (if I want to be super safe) that will grow 10%+, and with some more learning and proactiveness I can get 20%+.

And that doesn't even mean having to be super active. You could play just blue chips and buy before catalysts and sell during the run up. 

• Cheers 1