The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

56 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

@I.Am.Ironman hope you got in at 10.14 B)

Who do you think I am? Some sort of savvy investor that listens to people with a higher skill set and more experience than me? Of course I didn't get in at 10.14, or at all.

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I've been deep in oil and never won.

Do you think oil is a dead cat or does it rebound?

Suncor

Exxon

Trican

Baytex ( twice)

CJ

Cresent Point

I can go on and on...

I'm Suncor and Shell. No exxon fan. Shell at least acknowledges renewables and has renewable projects/revenue streams ongoing

9 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Who do you think I am? Some sort of savvy investor that listens to people with a higher skill set and more experience than me? Of course I didn't get in at 10.14, or at all.

I'm Suncor and Shell. No exxon fan. Shell at least acknowledges renewables and has renewable projects/revenue streams ongoing

I'm do like renewables...which means gas is a dead cat?

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I'm do like renewables...which means gas is a dead cat?

I'm in transalta renewables. Solid company, ticker RNW.

I don't think oil and gas is a dead cat. This transition is going to take decades and oil is still used in plastic production, plus reliance of developing countries on oil without the infrastructure for green energy. Green energy just gives us another source, but we haven't fully harnessed it yet.

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I've been deep in oil and never won.

Do you think oil is a dead cat or does it rebound?

Suncor

Exxon

Trican

Baytex ( twice)

CJ

Cresent Point

I can go on and on...

Just recently I started making money in oil, before that it royally sucked.

Biggest holding is EPD and is doing very well, made money with COP, I was in FANG which has huge upside but very volatile.

I have considered owning PSX and ENB. I prefer CVX over XOM but CVX is currently overpriced.

14 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

For those interested, here is some light reading for the weekend. The AirBnB prospectus.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1559720/000119312520294801/d81668ds1.htm

Ohhhh baby.... I'm breaking this down today....

Also, PetCo is going public through IPO with the ticker symbol WOOF.. Could that be the most perfect company/symbol combo on the market ?!

• Upvote 1

My Oh My.. I don't think I will be buying AirBnB till after their next earnings call... I will stay away out of the gate..

There is broke and there there is AirBnB.. These guys have no money, will have no money and likely won't be profitable ever...

Here is some clips from the S1. I especially like they part where they basically admit they're using the money on hookers and blow and you can't do anything about it...

Edit: Oh, and they're 2B in debt with that likely to grow to 3B. They had 1 profitable year in 2018 where they made 18M while doing 3.6B in revenue.

image.thumb.png.b16e6e5d0ff8d2bdebf50be2070c831f.png

Edited by AriGold2.0
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

My Oh My.. I don't think I will be buying AirBnB till after their next earnings call... I will stay away out of the gate..

There is broke and there there is AirBnB.. These guys have no money, will have no money and likely won't be profitable ever...

Here is some clips from the S1. I especially like they part where they basically admit they're using the money on hookers and blow and you can't do anything about it...

Edit: Oh, and they're 2B in debt with that likely to grow to 3B. They had 1 profitable year in 2018 where they made 18M while doing 3.6B in revenue.

image.thumb.png.b16e6e5d0ff8d2bdebf50be2070c831f.png

"We had outstanding indebtedness with a principal amount of $1,997.5 million". 

That's quite an odd way of saying 2 billion. 

The last two sentences you posted are doozies. 

4 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Ohhhh baby.... I'm breaking this down today....

Also, PetCo is going public through IPO with the ticker symbol WOOF.. Could that be the most perfect company/symbol combo on the market ?!

Pet smart and chewy have been eating woofy’s lunch lately.

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

November was an incredible month for returns. 

I truly feel blessed to work full time in a career I’m passionate about, while being able to make a great additional income in the market.

The gains look great in the account but that money isn’t doing anything or helping anyone. 

I decided to donate a substantial part of my November profits to a cause near and dear to my heart. 

This has only motivated me further to continue being a student of the market to improve my ability to make big returns to be able to give back even more. 

It’ll be great to have a purpose greater than greed to maximize returns. 

E3E2DFF4-452A-426D-A12A-132AACA152ED.jpeg

That one hit close to home mate.

Good on ya.  

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That one hit close to home mate.

Good on ya.  

Likewise. Both my professional and personal life involve MS.

Researchers are so damn close.

There is a lab in Alberta that has shown their intranasal delivery of their drug can stop the progression of demyelination and inflammation in mice. Next up is approval for human trials.

Other drugs like Capaxone can create proteins that mimic myelin and have been shown to decreased the size of lesions.

One day, it’ll happen. 

On 12/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, Down by the River said:

Appreciate everyone's responses. I was only up 11.5% in the month of November and worked way too hard to earn that little. For those that creep this thread and want to know what my mistakes were in strategy/thinking, here are the main things I think I did wrong:

1. Working way too hard on researching way too many stocks. In hindsight I would spend less overall time researching different stocks and more time researching 4-5 specific stocks. I might have spent 20 hours on 10 stocks when I could have spent 15 hours on 5 stocks (all estimates). Less time overall but more time devoted to having a more nuanced understanding of the stocks I'm targeting (when to buy, target pricepoint to sell, etc.). 

2. Related to the above, I was too scared to put too much money into a single stock. The consequence was probably being too diverse... this diversity lead to poorer decision making (e.g., picking stocks that were maybe a little less ideal solely for the purpose of finding balance). 

3. Not knowing when to sell. I don't have good insight on how I need to improve here. I never sold stocks at a loss, but I would sell too early or too late. I get that selling right at the peak is difficult, but to me I sold things way too early or way too late... still made money, but not as much as a I should have. 

Anyway, appreciate the advice and insight provided in this thread. 

I have mastered this aspect. i never seem to have an exit strategy especially short term stocks (longs dont matter really) and always hold until it starts dropping bad.  Easy example was Nio the other day I kept telling myself I should sell then kept talking myself out and its gone down quite a bit since I was thinking I liked the profits and want to try another.  I have also paniced sold time to time only for it to not be red the following day, really need to learn this aspect.

Looks like Draftkings is ready to explode.. Textbook cup and handle forming and add in Basketball is back soon for betting. Then hockey shortly after that. 3/4 major spots will be up and running.

Once it breaks around $55 it's ready for blast off, could be a $15-$20 run. I'll take profits at $63

Edit: Stop loss will be set at $47.00. Any true break below $47.50 will mean it will travel lower.

image.png

Double Edit: Check out LCA. Just had a cup and handle forming and I missed it.. Ugh..

image.png.e36260b2588a58ef84999c664ec5529c.png

Edited by AriGold2.0

On 11/23/2020 at 12:14 PM, AriGold2.0 said:

Alrighty guys, I found the company I'm putting money into for a while. I pulled some money out of my account to redo the kitchen in my new place.

I only have 15K in my account. I'm taking a "Break" through the transition of power in the USA. Alot of volatility and I don't have the time to watch it constantly right now.

New SPAC - Bought 1000 shares of VGAC @ $9.80 and 3000 of VGAC-Warrants @1.66

This only got put on my radar this morning and I strongly believe in this team and their target, they have done a thing or 2 in their lifetime. Probably won't merge with anybody for quite a while but these guys will attract lots of companies going SPAC route.

https://vgacquisition.com/

image.thumb.png.a97a4a630da84e3dafc2546976a566af.png

@AriGold2.0  still a believer? Freed up about 15k, want to put it in something explosive.