The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

20 minutes ago, HI5 said:

What’s a retirement portfolio? :lol:

80% of our money that I'm not allowed to play with :lol:

We own our house and both have high paying jobs. My in laws and in-law aunt and uncle both have large net worths (5mill+) and their wealth manager said they'd take us on as part of the family. We keep like 5k in chequings as a baseline to ensure when the monthly mortgage and other bills get taken out there's sufficient funds, and the rest all goes to him. We call it our retirement portfolio because we don't foresee any need to withdraw from it in the near future, but we do have access whenever we need to.

I've never added cash to my Questrade besides the initial deposit last year and grew that 4x (down to like 3x after this last month) hence why it's my "fun money" trading account. I don't plan on adding any more cash to it. If I have a really strong conviction in a single stock (say Tesla falls to 300 in a big crash) I can just call him up and get him to buy it in our retirement account.

• Cheers 1

Just going to pour my money into this instead (j/k):

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/28/230-million-dollars-spent-on-nba-top-shot.html

• The NBA’s Top Shot product is a blockchain-based trading card system that has generated over $230 in gross sales, according to its creator Dapper Labs.
  • Dapper Labs is using blockchain technology to create scarcity for digital assets.
  • The system works like trading cards, only with NBA highlights and digital artwork.

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Trump replacing Yellen with Powell was not a smart move. Should have kept Janet Yellen. She did a much better job than Jay Powell, especially when it comes to communication.

Yellin was Obama's pick so of course she had to go.

17 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Dave Portnoy Helps Launch New BUZZ ETF that Tracks Hyped Stocks

I love this guy with all my heart but I will never listen to a man that pulls letters out of a scrabble bag to buy a stock. :lol:

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

ARKK hit my stop loss today.

oof, that's harsh.. What a nightmare..

6 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

My fun money trading account feels like Lisa Ann after 8 hours of shooting.

Gross Face GIFs | Tenor

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

We own our house and both have high paying jobs.

Curious, what do you do ? 

Edited by AriGold2.0

4 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I love this guy with all my heart but I will never listen to a man that pulls letters out of a scrabble bag to buy a stock. :lol:

oof, that's harsh.. What a nightmare..

Gross Face GIFs | Tenor

Curious, what do you do ? 

I’m in management at a health tech company 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

41 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Grabbing some Nasdaq futures down here.

I think they've given Cathie enough of a beating for now.

Yeah I'm thinking there's going to be a bit of a bounceback rally next week, so I don't feel comfortable holding my shorts over the weekend. 

Edit: Nasdaq QQQ hit my price target of 300, too bad I was stuck in a meeting when it slipped below 298, but regardless, I'm out - that was a fun slide down to ride :lol:

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1

Added more Nio at 32.5

Added more Stpk at 20

Added Gevo at 5.5 (first time owning Gevo)

Added lotto spy 363 puts for march 10 exp and march 12 17.50 sqqq calls as hedges

Added Aapl leaps for end of year 130 calls

and nvda 550 end of year leaps

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

what deals are you guys looking to score. Have some USD ready to reply next week. 

Rather than gamble picking individual winners figured I'd go with the Nasdaq as a whole.

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Added more Nio at 32.5

Added more Stpk at 20

Added Gevo at 5.5 (first time owning Gevo)

Added lotto spy 363 puts for march 10 exp and march 12 17.50 sqqq calls as hedges

Added Aapl leaps for end of year 130 calls

Both prices below the low of day. What ECN do you route orders to, to achieve this?

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Rather than gamble picking individual winners figured I'd go with the Nasdaq as a whole.

Both prices below the low of day. What ECN do you route orders to, to achieve this?

Was just rounding. Gevo fill was 5.68 and stpk fill was 20.29. Nio was 32.68 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Last week I had a few sell orders trigger (srngu at 11.5 and hec warrants at 2.25) even though Questrade showed those 2 securities never hit those prices. Not sure if it's catching people market selling/buying or what

Your orders must be enabled for pre market. I assume Quests' daily high low reflects the regular session.

Does the author of this article read this thread? Pretty much everything I said a while back.

The ARKK ETF is crumbling. What are the broader risks?

Fri 5 Mar 2021 16:41:43 GMT

This ETF put a target on its own back

You don't need to look much beyond a single ETF to explain much of the pain in the equity market.

Cathy Wood's ARKK innovation ETF became a sensation last year. The discretionary, tech-focused ETF has seen major inflows in the past six months and amassed huge stakes in many high-flying tech names.

The problem is that it created a virtuous circle initially. As the funds flowed in, the buying flows from Wood pushed up those tech stocks higher. Now it's the opposite. As funds flow out on a one-month return of -31%, she's forced to sell. The selling creates more pain and that creates more outflows.

It's culminated in a 10% decline today in the fund on enormous volume. It traded yesterday at 5x the volume of the S&P 500.

A problem is that the fund publishes its positions daily and some of them are in small, illiquid securities. That gives shorts a target and helps sellers front-run other moves, like Tesla which is crumbling along with ARKK.

What's compounded that is that Wood has been selling mega-cap tech positions to shore-up positions in those less-liquid securities, creating even more concentration risk.

That, combined with some serious governance problems in the fund -- including a guy whose only prior experience was a TV station manager as the chief risk officer -- has made this fund a big target.

The thing is, I don't see any way there's real systemic risk or economic risk here. Sure, she could really take down some tech stocks but so what? It looks like the rest of the market is finding a way to tune it out.
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

And I will continue to add to Hut.to at every 50 cent drop. First entry (on discord) was in the 3's, dug into their company more and love what they're doing up here in Canada and have been adding up shares

the crypto company?

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Does the author of this article read this thread? Pretty much everything I said a while back.

The ARKK ETF is crumbling. What are the broader risks?

Fri 5 Mar 2021 16:41:43 GMT

You don't need to look much beyond a single ETF to explain much of the pain in the equity market.

Cathy Wood's ARKK innovation ETF became a sensation last year. The discretionary, tech-focused ETF has seen major inflows in the past six months and amassed huge stakes in many high-flying tech names.

The problem is that it created a virtuous circle initially. As the funds flowed in, the buying flows from Wood pushed up those tech stocks higher. Now it's the opposite. As funds flow out on a one-month return of -31%, she's forced to sell. The selling creates more pain and that creates more outflows.

It's culminated in a 10% decline today in the fund on enormous volume. It traded yesterday at 5x the volume of the S&P 500.

A problem is that the fund publishes its positions daily and some of them are in small, illiquid securities. That gives shorts a target and helps sellers front-run other moves, like Tesla which is crumbling along with ARKK.

What's compounded that is that Wood has been selling mega-cap tech positions to shore-up positions in those less-liquid securities, creating even more concentration risk.

That, combined with some serious governance problems in the fund -- including a guy whose only prior experience was a TV station manager as the chief risk officer -- has made this fund a big target.

The thing is, I don't see any way there's real systemic risk or economic risk here. Sure, she could really take down some tech stocks but so what? It looks like the rest of the market is finding a way to tune it out.

After what you said I set ARKK at a stop loss of $123 (which it hit in like two days, lol). I used that capital to buy MSFT at $225. ARKK is down to $117.12 and MSFT up to $231.50... so thanks for that one!

Not like MSFT is up a ton... but when you factor in the continued decline in ARKK its a decent swing in savings. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

yup

i was in on them for a time then moved over to Cryptostar and GBLC because they're the same format, same plan but those two also sell mining equipment.  GBLC actually has evidently go mining quipment that are apparently 30% more energy efficient than what is currently the main and norm which would be a huge boon for new companies

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

i was in on them for a time then moved over to Cryptostar and GBLC because they're the same format, same plan but those two also sell mining equipment.  GBLC actually has evidently go mining quipment that are apparently 30% more energy efficient than what is currently the main and norm which would be a huge boon for new companies

Lots of good options, I personally don't play Canadian pennies even though when I found HUT she was just a youngin' in the 3's