The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

8 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Do you guys consider yourselves investors or active traders? If you're investors then carry on doing what you're doing. If you're active traders you need to think about incorporating some short selling into your game. There's no need to limit yourself to trading in one direction. There's no need to fear the futures in the evening. I don't know anyone who is successful long term in trading who doesn't do at least a little short selling.

I do have a longer-term position, but I do swing trading.  

30 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Powell speaks. Bonds drop like a rock, yields surging.

Powell really isn't qualified to do his job.

Oil +6.1% to $64.78 because that's not inflationary.

Trump replacing Yellen with Powell was not a smart move. Should have kept Janet Yellen. She did a much better job than Jay Powell, especially when it comes to communication.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Oh shoot, I forgot Powell was speaking today. Anything of significance? 

Bond yields pushing 1.5 again.

US dollar and Treasury yields rise as Powell offers no hints at anything

Thu 4 Mar 2021 17:33:24 GMT

Not even a pat on the back for the bond market

Powell has stuck to almost the exact same script as Brainard earlier this week, saying that rising rates had caught his eye but not coming anywhere close to saying he didn't like it.

Here are 10-year yields, which are now just shy of last week's closing high:

Not even a pat on the back for the bond market

The US dollar is strengthening across the board as risk aversion picks up. There's nothing coming on March 17 from the Fed and Powell doesn't seem to care about rates at 1.5%. Will he care at 1.75%? At 2.0%? We might be finding out sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile, he's not making any friends at global central banks.

The US dollar is moving up with rates and also with the kicking and screaming in equities.

Besides the literal messages here, the equity market wants a Fed that will always be there in any adversity. Probably most-notable is that Powell won't fold to mild/modest market pressure. That has implications down the road.

Powell says he expects inflation to rise above 2% at some point. It’s a far cry from the hyperinflation people have been going on about, and interest rates won’t be rising until employment is in full swing. 

Is this not okay, for the immediate time being? 

18 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Powell says he expects inflation to rise above 2% at some point. It’s a far cry from the hyperinflation people have been going on about, and interest rates won’t be rising until employment is in full swing. 

Is this not okay, for the immediate time being? 

Every Central Bank has a 2% inflation target. It literally means nothing. If Powell had his way he'd never raise. He raised 1/4 point in late 2018 and the market had a tantrum. Don't look to Powell for signs of inflation. He couldn't find inflation with a compass and a bloodhound. The Bond market will tell you all you need to know. It always does. The smart money is in the bond market. The dumb money is in equities.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Every Central Bank has a 2% inflation target. It literally means nothing. If Powell had his way he'd never raise. He raised 1/4 point in late 2018 and the market had a tantrum. Don't look to Powell for signs of inflation. He couldn't find inflation with a compass and a bloodhound. The Bond market will tell you all you need to know. It always does. The smart money is in the bond market. The dumb money is in equities.

BINGO

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I’m stuck in dumb money :picard:

• Haha 1

Let’s see where and how the dust settles, I was initially thinking the stimulus would come, people would forget and buy non stop again. 

Giving me ample opportunity to move into commodities. Otherwise just hold, forever and ever ever. 

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

What about commodities?

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

My retirement/long term portfolio manager is super happy with how it's performing given he has most of that money in bonds, commodities, banks, etc. 

My fun money trading account feels like Lisa Ann after 8 hours of shooting.

What’s a retirement portfolio? :lol:

• Haha 1